Big Brother? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Big Brother?

Smcdermott
05-22-2008, 11:04 AM
Are we doing Big Brother event this year? Father's day is the 15th and I think we have had better success doing it on the weekend before or after.

On a personal note, I have a commitment on the 21st so the 7th or 27th would be best for me. Probably a bit late to start planning for the 7th so my vote would be 21st or 27th for the event, whichever is best for numbers overall.

Sean

juro
05-22-2008, 11:56 AM
Actually I have been playing phone/email tag with our coordinator and should have something to post this week - thanks Sean, and my apologies for being a bit overwhelmed lately.

Calmer seas ahead,
Juro

Smcdermott
05-22-2008, 02:15 PM
No problem Juro...glad to hear things are in the works. Just think...with all that on your plate you still managed to out fish us all this weekend :)

Sean

juro
05-27-2008, 04:42 PM
JULY 12th or 13th?

Due to a number of circumstances, it's looking like July 12th or 13th will be the first opportunity for all parties.

Can we have a show of hands for Big Brother Day fishing mentors?

Please indicate whether you can commit, and for which day (if only one verses the other).

Nick
05-28-2008, 10:07 AM
Got a family wedding that weekend...bummer.

Warren
05-28-2008, 06:50 PM
Juro,
Looks like a good weekend at this point for me.

striblue
05-29-2008, 07:34 AM
It looks OK for me as well.

Adrian
05-29-2008, 09:10 AM
And for me too :smokin:

Either day is good.

juro
05-29-2008, 04:25 PM
We're shooting for 15-20 matches again this year.

grizz0707
05-29-2008, 07:51 PM
Hi Juro,
looks like this is the year i can finally make it. Will bring camera and printers for group photo and give one to each participate
fish we must
chuck

flydoc
05-29-2008, 11:13 PM
I'm in.
flydoc

FishHawk
05-30-2008, 04:40 AM
Unless something comes up I'll be there . FishHawk

sean
05-30-2008, 07:27 AM
Pretty sure I can do it.

-sean

juro
05-30-2008, 07:44 AM
Great! We're already half there.

Molly wanted to know by today so I will tell her we'll be ready for them.

jimS
05-30-2008, 04:15 PM
Wow, first one I'll miss in the past four years. Will be off cape in Jul. Always a great time for both big and little.

Gseries69
05-30-2008, 04:22 PM
Can some one explain more about this program? If it's what I think it is, it's a fabulous idea and good on you all for doing it. Not sure if I'm knowledgable enough to be a mentor but I'd like to help out in some way if I can.

vtloon
05-30-2008, 04:33 PM
I'd like to participate if it ends up being on different dates. Right now i'm clobbered on 12 & 13 July.

vtloon
05-30-2008, 04:34 PM
I'd like to participate if it ends up being on different dates. Right now I'm clobbered on 12 & 13 July.

tomd
05-31-2008, 08:26 AM
I'm in, not sure if my son or daughter will be along as well.

Tom D

tomd
05-31-2008, 04:17 PM
SORRY MESSAGE WAS REPEATED

Nick
06-02-2008, 09:46 PM
Can some one explain more about this program? If it's what I think it is, it's a fabulous idea and good on you all for doing it. Not sure if I'm knowledgable enough to be a mentor but I'd like to help out in some way if I can.

Normally we get together with 15-20 Big Brother/Little Brother pairs and try to have one forum member per pair. There are tours of the Monomoy refuge, boat ride out, then lessons on fly fishing and a few hours of trying out the new skills. Lunch is served and usually donated by a local vendor. Spinning rods/reels are also used as a fall back if the team can't quite pick it up.

It really has been one of the great things that this Forum has put together over the years. From the ones who really get bitten by the fishing bug to the others who just love being at the beach collecting shells and horseshoe crabs, the look on the faces of all involved makes it extremely rewarding.

Sad I'm going to be missing this for sure as you can tell, have fun all you guys that can make it!

Nick

juro
06-03-2008, 07:36 AM
Thanks Nick -

Gs, sorry to be asleep at the wheel on this one. Nick said it well.

You only need to be a kindred spririt and a pair of eyes for the kids and their bigs. Of course you must think of their well-being first (watch the wind, barbless, use spin if they are not up to fly, care in wading, etc).

But it's a day of fishing among new friends and a wholesome and rewarding experience for kids who would otherwise not be experiencing something very special right here in New England.

And the funny thing is we get just as much out of it as anyone.

Give it a try!

Gseries69
06-03-2008, 08:58 AM
Nick, Juro

Thanks. Sounds like an great event and I want to make it. I've got a family commitment that weekend but am going to see if I can make some changes so I can participate.

juro
06-03-2008, 09:17 AM
OK guys it looks like we are about half-way there.

Take a look at the calendar and let's try to make a good showing for the kids this year.

Warren
06-03-2008, 05:18 PM
Besides it is the only day Pink Sluggos are legal at a forum event or when Juro is around...:lildevl:

Sean Juan
06-03-2008, 05:37 PM
I'll do it...and its even my birthday...

How old are these kids? Just wondering how heavy the spin gear should be - we provide that stuff right?

juro
06-03-2008, 10:46 PM
Light gear is best. The kids ages vary but I would guess 10-15, although some are taller than we are! Great to hear you will participate.

Warren
06-04-2008, 05:51 AM
Sean Juan, Cool, it is a lot of fun. I brought a couple of light spin rods & a 8 wt with a floating line + my normal 9 wt set up for me to throw around. That seemed to work out good.

flydoc
06-04-2008, 04:24 PM
Besides it is the only day Pink Sluggos are legal at a forum event or when Juro is around...:lildevl:
We'll have to sneak one between the layers of his sandwich during the lunch break:chuckle:
Flydoc

Warren
06-04-2008, 05:28 PM
We'll have to sneak one between the layers of his sandwich during the lunch break:chuckle:
Flydoc

:lildevl: :lildevl: ROFLMAO:hihi: :hihi:

tomd
06-05-2008, 08:15 PM
last year we had our first little/big sister pair... so any of you fisherwomen can join in as well. Juro, do we know if any sisters will be there this year?

Tom D

tomd
06-05-2008, 08:19 PM
Sean, I bring light spin gear , the ones I use on the boat(if the wind is too snotty for flycasting. just enought to toss a sluggo or up to a 1 oz bucktail,gotcha,etc...

Tom D

juro
06-05-2008, 09:33 PM
Tom -

I will ask Molly whether we will have little sisters as well.

Also - I am assuming that all people are good for either day correct? Big Brothers staff needs to know which of the two to organize for the kids transportation to the cape etc.

tomd
06-07-2008, 10:31 PM
I'm ok either day at this point

Rip Ryder
06-09-2008, 06:31 AM
Juro,

Big Brother's day will have to be July 13th. We have a wedding to attend on the 12th.

Capt Keith

Warren
06-09-2008, 06:58 AM
well that narrows it down some:hihi:

juro
06-09-2008, 08:41 AM
Juro,

Big Brother's day will have to be July 13th. We have a wedding to attend on the 12th.

Capt Keith

I will let Molly know thanks Capt'n.

Rip Ryder
06-09-2008, 07:30 PM
Capt. Tom will be available for the usual shuttles on the 12th, but I didn't feel right leaving him with the Big Brothers day responsibilties. Sometimes it can get a little hectic getting everything organized, ie food and supplies, and getting it over to the island on time. The admiral and I decided we better be there for the activities.

Capt Keith

juro
06-10-2008, 09:03 AM
I just found out I need to fly out of town on business Sunday :Eyecrazy:

flydoc
06-10-2008, 04:06 PM
You mean THIS Sunday, don't you Juro??? You couldn't possibly mean Sunday July 13th???? That's my BIRTHDAY!!! I forbid you from flying on my birthday....there, you can tell your boss it's my fault you couldn't make the meeting:devil: That way we can do this thing.
Flydoc

juro
06-11-2008, 09:16 AM
Can you write me a script for something? j/k

So my manager is backing me on this, I should be able to shift things around... working on it now.

tomd
07-02-2008, 06:28 PM
I need to know asap which day... my wife has to schedule stuff around this. so please let me know. thanks, Tom D

juro
07-02-2008, 06:53 PM
Sunday 13th.

I re-scheduled a business trip to make this event.

**** WE COULD USE MORE HELP ****

tomd
07-05-2008, 02:44 AM
thanks, Ill pass it on

FishHawk
07-07-2008, 06:48 AM
I won't be able to attend the Big Brother Day this year. FishHawk

juro
07-07-2008, 07:52 AM
Time to get moving on the final phase of planning. At last count we have 8 participants. This is a very low number and it creates some concern.

We will have to change the program around to cope. It will require fishing as a group because the usual more personal approach will not work out.

If there are others who can help, please chime in. Also if you have not confirmed yet please do.

I will have a discussion with Big Brothers this AM and provide a more informative post later today.

check in later...

Quentin
07-07-2008, 10:30 PM
Sorry Juro, I don't think I can make it this year. I haven't responded until now because I kept hoping I could be there :( .

I'm sure it will be a great time, as always, and I look forward to seeing the reports and photos.

Q

Sean Juan
07-07-2008, 11:53 PM
Just a post to confirm that I'm in.

I'll do whatever you guys think best, but if the fishing is to be divided into groups maybe we could still do one-on-one for those that want to fly fish and have groups for those that just want to fish...or look for cool stuff.

I'm flexible and will do whatever - just let me know where to show up, when and what to bring.

Warren
07-08-2008, 05:21 AM
I'll be there as well Juro. I plan on fishing the area Saturday as well. So maybe we can find some fish

Rip Ryder
07-08-2008, 06:42 AM
Juro,

Talked to Molly yesterday on the phone, and she did not have a huge turnout as of yesterday either. She was going to send out another email to try and get more interest.

Plan is for them to be there in the am to meet with Mike Brady for the Horseshoe Crab tagging, then we will leave for South Beach at 11am sharp, as I am scheduled to go out at 1130am on a cruise. Pick up will be figured out by the time we leave for South Beach or North Monomoy, since NM is the only place with fish right now, either 3pm or 430pm.

See you on Sunday.

Capt Keith

juro
07-08-2008, 08:48 AM
Yes I also got an update yesterday and heard.

This is my fault, the advance notice period for this event is much longer for them then ours and ours is pretty long itself. Due to people and things taking my life hostage in this same time frame, I was not pro-active enough to get the plan together as I have in past years.

One option is to post-pone until late August when the pea bunker arrive, giving over a month to build up the enrollment again.

I will be glad when my life gets back to normal.

Adrian
07-08-2008, 09:34 AM
If thinking about postponing until later, it might be an idea to wait until first week-end of September when a few more forum stahlwarts are back on the Cape on a regular basis?

Weather is usually still pleasant after labor day, accomodations cheaper and fish more prevalent.

Just a thought.

I am still available this Sunday if we decide to go ahead anyway.

flydoc
07-08-2008, 10:13 AM
Will be there on Sunday if not postponed, but won't cry if it does get rescheduled for August/early September....my boards exam is fast approaching, and pretest jitters are setting in:frown: Flip side is that I would finally get a chance to work out my new rod from Kenny A, complete with Snowbee line that I should be receiving in the mail by the end of the week (Sean R- sent them an e-mail-got a call from them on the 4th of all days, and got things straightened out- great customer service- she apologized for the problems/errors on the website, and will make sure they are addressed).
Flydoc

Sean Juan
07-08-2008, 10:45 AM
September would be better for fishing...

But what about the other stuff...like Horseshoe tagging and stuff?

I'll be there either way.

Personally if I was akid and this was one of my only chances to get to the beach, pretty sure it would be a good day regardless.

juro
07-08-2008, 11:34 AM
Big Brothers is posting the event on a bulletin and expects a big response. Let's stay the course I have a feeling it will be popular this time of year even with short notice.

Keith has other trips scheduled between 11a-1p so we will shuttle out around 11a.

Tide will be dropping.

The SB beach will have excellent seal watching which is in and of itself entertaining. The bar structures are excellent this year but the tide will be an hour ahead (low around 1p) so the fish will likely be less focused on the inshore structure. There have been some good fish around though judging by the large striper carcasses I've seen from the night before out there.

SB Inside may have fish in the trenches at low, around 2p probably some blues by now. A schoolie / blues fest would be good entertainment.

North Monomoy may have the bird rookery fracas going on. It's also restrictive in terms of where we can go.

The channel south of drop point, crib trench may hold some fish now. But for fishing the north channel on the drop would get my vote if NM because it is the main tidal exchange now with the bottom plugged. But it's well over a mile over sand and flats and not all will be prepared for that.

I may have a commitment on Sat but if not would love to join the scout party.

vtloon
07-08-2008, 03:40 PM
September would be better for fishing...

But what about the other stuff...like Horseshoe tagging and stuff?

I'll be there either way.

Personally if I was akid and this was one of my only chances to get to the beach, pretty sure it would be a good day regardless.

Whadaya mean IF you were a kid?

Sean Juan
07-09-2008, 09:41 PM
Don't overlook the Hickory Shad - there has been a lot of them around this year and they are a great fighting, leaping fish on light tackle.

I'll be Joe Namath and guarantee victory...and if that doesn't work I'll get messed up and slobber on a side-line reporter.

striblue
07-10-2008, 09:37 AM
Juro, I am planning on fishing NM on Friday and Saturday. Will be on the Cape tonight so I will let you know...I will start at the north tip and work down to the crib and back. I expect the Big Bro day to come off...but if for some reason it is posponed maybe , with the right weather , we might have enough for an imprompto Rip trip.

juro
07-11-2008, 05:53 PM
I spoke with Emily today, we're on and the number of matches has grown to 7 with the expectations to be higher by Sunday. So the numbers work out all around.

I assume part of the problem is the high gas price to get people to Chatham Light for the day, but in any case the weather is supposed to be pleasant.

The fishing rendezvous will occur around 11am. The kids will spend the morning with the National Wildlife Refuge staff and we will all board for the fishing area around 11am.

I propose we have an early lunch around 11:30 and talk about fishing with the kids. Please have spin rods available as the jump to flyfishing on day one is a bit too much but we will as always have them experience what it's all about and you can't beat the refuge as a backdrop.

The tide will be approaching low so the channels will be exposed and the surf calm although they are predicting gusts from the south.

I have a busy day monday and leaving for a business trip so will probably get going in a timely fashion to pack but I hope there will be time for at least a get-together at the Squiyah with the gang before I hit the road.

The important thing is to have a positive influence on the kids, and maybe enlighten the bigs too.

And for me, to think about how lucky I was growing up.

Smcdermott
07-11-2008, 06:08 PM
Unfortunately I can't make it this year. I haven't posted up until now because I just wasn't sure what my availability would be. My inlaws are coming into town and I just can't make that trip and be back home at a reasonable hour. Best of luck to those attending its always a great time.

Sean

juro
07-11-2008, 07:11 PM
Thanks Sean, you and your wonderful Mrs will be missed. Hope to catch up with you soon maybe when the hardtails arrive.

tomd
07-11-2008, 11:30 PM
Juro, I'll be there(in case you had doubts)

Tom D

juro
07-12-2008, 07:47 AM
Great to hear Tom! I'm sure we'll have some good laughs and it's always good to see the magic in what we get to do all the time through young new eyes.

tomd
07-12-2008, 03:57 PM
my son Jon will be with me

juro
07-12-2008, 06:25 PM
I just got a spin rod and some rubber (not PINK) for the kids and a fish-skeleton hat for a prize.

I hope the mustache and dark glasses worked :wink: