Danielsson HD [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Danielsson HD

pzen
05-20-2008, 06:13 PM
I'm looking for a reliable saltwater reel for line weight 9-10 and I'm thinking to Danielsson HD (7-ten or 9-thirteen) but i have some doubts:

- how's the drag of this reel? is it ok for jack, tarpon ,....?
Note: I have a Danielsson reel LW 8-twelve for my spey rods but in my opinion its drag is poor for saltwater fishing.

- models 7-ten and 9-thirteen have the same drag or 9-thirteen has a most powerful drag.

- Does anyone have a real experience in saltwater with these reels?

Thanks for any help

sean
05-21-2008, 11:26 AM
Yeah the HD drag definitely works.

http://speypages.com/seantuna.jpg

Juro uses his LW 6/9 for bones,stripers and 20-40lb tarpon without a problem as well. My reels are all HDs from the 7/10 on up and they are more than capable saltwater reels, I think they are one of the best saltwater reels on the market. I fish the salt 4-5 times a week for stripers and they are all I use.

Would trust the drag on my 7/10 to handle large fish but then it is a capacity problem and not a drag problem for large fish since you cannot put a whole lot of backing on it.

-sean

Swalt
05-21-2008, 11:48 AM
Have an HD 9-13. It has a powerful drag. I think its almost too heavy for use with a 9 or 10 wt and better suited for use with a 12wt. I would go with the 7-10 for permit, small tarpon to 40lb etc and the 9-13 for large tarpon etc.

salmo
05-22-2008, 12:46 PM
All HD reels share the same drag. When using the smaller reel ( HD or LW) you may notice a slightly more dragging power at the same knob setting, due to the dirrerence is the
"living"arbor size. Using smaller reel the arbor size will drop faster as the line and backing are withdrawn fromthe spool. This in turn will require more power to move the spool.
With that said, the HD drag, regardless of reel size gives you more drag resistance then you need.

Splake
05-22-2008, 01:35 PM
What price range do these reels fall into?

Splake
05-22-2008, 02:13 PM
It would have helped if I used two "ss" in my search. Looks like LW is $400 plus. The HD $500 and up.

Gseries69
05-22-2008, 04:36 PM
Where can you buy one? I've never seen them at any shops.

salmo
05-22-2008, 05:08 PM
To order go to Danielsson ( the forum sponsor) page:

http://danielsson-flyreels.ehandel.net/

click in the upper right corner for english language to get here:

http://danielsson-flyreels.ehandel.n...nguage_id%5D=3

Customers from Europe Only will be charged an additional VAT ( 19-20%).

The payment can be done using MC or Visa card.

It is important to create your account to see a price for North America

From pop-up menu you can select a currency ( SEK, EU or USD)

P.S.

I have seen recently new HD on auction on Speypages.com

juro
05-22-2008, 06:51 PM
Salmo -

You forgot to clarify that Danielsson is a sponsor thus such links are allowed.

This kind of post could otherwise encourage spammers.

Please confirm.

salmo
05-22-2008, 07:23 PM
Juro,

I have edited my post, indicating that Danielsson is the forum sponsor.

Thanks
Salmo

Splake
05-23-2008, 07:21 AM
salmo, thanks for the clarification. I had reached a site that didn't mention the VAT. I thought it was strange that they wouldn't allow any orders from the U.S. I was all set to purchase. The value of the $ can't be helping the price as well.

Sean Juan
07-04-2008, 11:55 AM
Is Ron Larson back as the distributor?...just asking because I saw a Danielsson Ad in a recent magazine with his name but it was only for a new style reel didn't mention the LW's or HD's.