Bendback Flies [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Bendback Flies

blindcurvw
05-19-2008, 01:04 PM
I've always had one or two bendback style flies in my fly boxes but rarely used them over a clouser, deceiver, or conventional bucktail patterns... The past couple weeks I've been using large bendback style bucktail streamers up in the stumps, trees, bushes, and other flooded backwaters for Pike and Bass...

I am amazed how weedless and snag proof these flies are given they don't have specific weed guards... The power of an upturned hook and a well balanced fly... The are also easy to cast on windy days when a weeless deer hair diver/slider can't be casted...

Not sure who invented these designs but its a good one! I think the bucktail bendbacks w/ rattle bodies are gonna get a lot of good use in a couple weeks in Cape Canaveral for Redfish, Snook, Jacks, and whatever else we can target.

PescaMexicana
09-29-2011, 02:01 PM
I am a big fan of the Bendback used if for several years. I tie a fly I loving call a San Felipe Sunrise based on a 3407DT Mustad 1/0 hook along with green and yellowish orange ostrich feathers for the afternoon and brown and yellowsih for early morning. The fly is about 2.5 inches long, very light to cast and is always a producer when used for small tarpon.