Battenkill vs Rocky Mtn reel [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Battenkill vs Rocky Mtn reel

coldsteel337
05-03-2008, 02:09 PM
I've just acquired used Orvis Battenkiil & Rocky Mtn 5/6 reels. Both are made in England, are used, but in great shape. I'm able to fish for Trout in the 18" to 24" size range on a steady basis and thats what I'll use one of these reels for. Can anyone tell me which reel in general is 'rated' better?

Thanks

shotgunner
05-03-2008, 03:37 PM
If it's the older english built Battenkill it came two ways, spring-n-pawl or disc drag. Pretty solid reels, not overly flashy but nice and functional. I haven't fished the disc version but never heard any complaints either and theres alot of them out there.

The Rocky Mountain is a 'cassette' spool type. Low cost extra spools was the goal [guessing] I have no experience with them.

blindcurvw
05-07-2008, 01:09 PM
I have both the click and disc drag versions of Battenkill for some of my older rods, they don't get much use anymore... The 8/9 Battenkill disc drag is very smooth and functional and I've used it on large bass, pike, salmon, and steelhead (10-30lbers)... I don't like the knob design as its hard to get a grip on it w/ gloves or wet fingers... That and the annoying tangles that come w/ a small arbor reel would be the only functional complaints... And the reason I'm finally upgrading to a modern large arbor design.

blindcurvw
05-07-2008, 09:18 PM
Sorry... made a mistake... Disc version I have is Green Mountain II (Step down from Battenkill)

blindcurvw
05-09-2008, 11:11 AM
Turns out I do have an English built Battenkill 8/9 Disc drag model (I have more @#$% than I can keep track of) and took it out last night for bass fishing. Drag is definitely not up to par w/ more modern reels; but given this reel probably hasn't been fished in over 15years I was suprised how smooth it still is.

Besides being small arbor (line coil, :eek: ) this is a very functional reel, still... and should serve you fine in the 5/6 range you have...