Eleuthera update [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Eleuthera update

Vince
04-28-2008, 07:04 AM
Luckily we have internet where we're staying on Eleuthera, so I have been keeping up a bit with the steelhead/bass reports from Western New York--sounds like I am missing some hot steel & bass action, especially on the Cattaraugus. A few days sound like they may have been warmer at home than here in the Bahamas.

The weather has been warm here in the Bahamas, but quite windy most days, especially the last 5-6 days. Fishing has been good, but we've had to work for the bones, as they have been a little finicky. Lots of shots at them though, with many tailers.

A couple guests just left, and I had an enjoyable week hunting bones and other fish with them. I know Tom will be having nightmares about the tailing bones at Savannah sound!

Just when you think some of the pressure on certain spots on Eleuthera has made the fish too "Florida Keys-like", yesterday I had one of the best bonefishing days I've ever had. Landed a bunch of fish between 20-26", lost a few more, and missed a few also, all in about 4 1/2 hours. It was one of those days where everywhere you turned there were bones coming at you, and they were all good sized fish. They were also happily eating my light tan crab pattern. In fact all fish were caught or hooked on the same fly--never broke off and the fly held up. It was one of those days that happens once every now and then--not too often, but just enough.

Had a great barracuda day earlier in the week--hooking two nice ones on a chartreuse and white deceiver, breaking one off on the third jump & landing one, and also getting an exciting follow right to my rod tip by a third, and larger 'cuda in the 20lb range.

Caught a very cool queen trigger fish last week. Also lost a good 4-5lb mutton snapper one day that would have made a great dinner for my family--the same day Cary got a nice mutton that he enjoyed that night with his wife Nadja.

I will post a report and some pics after I return.

Vince
05-26-2008, 11:33 AM
Finally have the pics and report up from our weeks on Eleuthera.

http://www.cattarauguscreekoutfitters.com/eleutherabahamas2008.aspx

Overall a good trip--some tough days and good days, as is usually the case with bonefishing. Found some new spots--new to me anyway, which is always fun.

Enjoy.

Jim Miller
05-26-2008, 11:55 AM
Thanks Vince
I'm not making the trip this year ... will certainly miss it. Nice photos .... I feel I was back ... if only for a short time. :)
Tan crabs were my "go to fly" also. ;)
Have they fixed up the road to Unique / Tropical Impulse? :whoa:

Vince
05-26-2008, 07:25 PM
They have fixed it slightly--at least the part from the queens highway until the big tree. Still in need of serious patchwork.