Porto Rico Tarpon [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Porto Rico Tarpon

Eric
04-22-2008, 09:05 PM
Read the Spam

So what's the real skinny? Is there 'poon fishing in Puerto Rico?

Curious in Waldport

juro
04-22-2008, 09:46 PM
Hi Eric -

Hope things are well in Oregon.

Short answer - yes BUT although PR has good tarpon we found the heavy hit areas to be a bit of a joke compared to the remote areas I explored last year. It's odd to have many hundreds of large tarpon around who won't eat, not my idea of fun although I did jump a medium sized tarpon on a fly in San Juan last visit.

Certain times of the year they are pounding the bait on the beaches (November) and there are plenty of them around docks and restaurants near civilization but for the quality experience you need to have a boat and be in remote areas for residents or time the migration / inshore bait activity.

Are U headed that way?

Smcdermott
04-23-2008, 07:53 AM
Thinking about a late fall trip with my wife this year so I am very interested in this as well. Have no problem springing for a guide for a few days if there is good action to be had. Poon, bones, snook all acceptable.

Sean

juro
04-23-2008, 09:03 AM
I want to do a late fall tarpon blitz somewhere as well.... haven't decided where but I want it to be the kind of off-the-chain situation that most don't really seem to talk about but you know it's there.

Maybe it's because the SW Florida migration gets all the attention in the spring, and maybe because of storm season in fall. Dunno.