Nothern Pike [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Nothern Pike

Da Weazel
04-14-2008, 01:22 PM
I would like to find out a bit more about Northern pike where im from we don't have any. All i want to know is how they behave in a lake will they take over a water system if they are introduced are they good to catch and how they co exist with trout and bass in a water system .Any info will be appreciated thanks.

FrenchCreek
04-14-2008, 06:09 PM
Pike are the top predators in their environment, they prefer cold water and like to hide in the weed beds and ambush any fish, frog, even duklings sometimes!
In the spring, when they lie about in shallow warm water (after ice out) and post spawn, they provide exciting fly fishing, and again in the fall when they chase bait fish in shallow water. In the summer, they tend to go deep to cooler water. They do co-exist with other species like lake trout, I don't recall ever getting any with bass or other trout species, but I remind you that as a top end predator, they can clean out other species pretty fast. Maybe you know of a spot in SA where the winters are at minus 20 Celsius or colder, and warm water means +18 Celsius?
Do a search for Pike on this Forum and you'll get lots of pictures and other information.
By all means don't even think about introducing a foreign species, the world has already seen too many devestating "good intentions"!

Dble Haul
04-15-2008, 12:58 PM
By all means don't even think about introducing a foreign species, the world has already seen too many devestating "good intentions"!

Amen to that.