Anglers' Commandments [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Anglers' Commandments

striblue
04-04-2008, 02:07 PM
I was thumbing though my new rebound edition of "The Art of Angling" by Thomas Best, 10th edition dated 1814. Here are the anglers commandments during those times.

First. Thou shalt not fish when the wind is cold, nor shalt thou fish within the length of thy rod and line of thy brother Angler.

Second. Thou shalt not shew thyself to the fish, nor let thy shawdow be seen on the water.

Third. Thou shalt not Float Fish without plumbing the depth.

Fourth. Thou shall not Fly-Fish, with the wind in thy face ; nor shalt thou let thy line or any part thereof, fall on the water ; but the fly only,if possible.

Fifth. Thou shalt not fish in troubled water.

Sixth. Thou shalt not take small fish with large hooks.

Seventh. Thou shalt not have good sport, unless thou strikest the moment the fish bites, nor shalt thou strike too hard.

Eighth. Thou shalt not land a large fish without a landing-net, or landing-hook; nor shalt thou be in too great a hurry in doing so.

Ninth. Thou shalt not make paste with dirty hands.

Tenth. Thou shalt not have good sport, without good baits, rods, lines , and hooks.

Moonlight
04-04-2008, 02:25 PM
Number nine... I need more info is paste chum? Not to suprising that most of the rules were still in effect when I started.

striblue
04-04-2008, 02:53 PM
The section on "pastes" indicate...breifly.. that it is a mixture of whatever the fisherman wants...specifically, as an example... "blood of sheep heart mixed with honey and flour"...and... Old grated cheese and butter to work into a mixture.... color it with saffron.....Crumbs of bread worked in with honey and moistened with gum-ivy water.... The inside of a french roll... worked "well with clean hands" and water.... and on and on.... the description of the various fish also disclose these types of bait best for the type of fish... all to be placed on a hook.... all such pastes shoud also include "a little cotton, wool, fine lint or flax, to keep the parts together, that wash not off the hooks"

Moonlight
04-04-2008, 03:49 PM
Like tying your own flies or just going to Wal Mart and buying "Power Bait":lildevl:
I can almost conjur up a vision of an elderly female angler with a large boiling pot adorned in a tall pointed black hat!

striblue
04-04-2008, 04:02 PM
Yes... The book, like other works I have, including Salter, Bowker and Evans...cover all aspects of the day , including great details on trout flies for each month. Threakston has a great work on early english flies... and is a hard book to get.... Abe books has it listed but it's $500 plus for the least expensive copy. It is interesting how the Commandments, if applied today ,in the context of today, still are meaningful and fundamental.

Warren
04-04-2008, 07:32 PM
I
First. Thou shalt not fish when the wind is cold, nor shalt thou fish within the length of thy rod and line of thy brother Angler.

A commandment that seems to be forgotten of late if you ask me:frown:

flydoc
04-05-2008, 05:19 AM
Just brand me a heretic and let the flogging begin......guess I'll have to submit to an official paddling at the CAC during the Spring Clave as penance for my fishing sins:o
Flydoc
P.S. Multiple infractions of commandment 4 during my recent trip to Florida...with no fish caught to justify the debauchery...

Sean Juan
04-05-2008, 02:01 PM
This is why I worship Castor the Mighty - the Greek god of Flyfishing!!!