Chatham=9/9/00 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Chatham=9/9/00

09-07-2000, 05:11 PM
Well, I may have to cancel out of the Boneclave since I can only go on Saturday. I will let Juro know for sure tommorrow. Hopefully, this event will happen next year so I will plan accordinly. Anyway.. is anyone thinking of fishing parts of Chatham or Monomoy on Saturday as a consollation to not being able to go on the Boneclave. I think I will be there so let me know... Dave P. etc.. If no one is thinking of this I will take my Yak out on the south side between Harwich and Hardings beach and see if the speedsters are around over there during the day.

09-07-2000, 06:06 PM
Hi there,

I was thinking about heading to Chatham on Saturday with my brother. We are also planning on bringing our yaks and maybe cruising around (safely of course) the waters near Chatham Light. I saw some kayak fishermen cleaning up out there a few weeks ago while I only managed 1 fish.

We are new to kayak fishing but if you would like company in your boat (or like company on the shore) then let me know. I have been looking forward to meeting some board members. When do you plan on heading out to fish on Saturday?

Feel free to write me offline at


Mike Doogue

09-07-2000, 07:10 PM
That sounds great. I will e-mail you tomorrow my adress in Chatham which is near Ridgevale beach next to Hardings beach. I am going down tomorrow night after work. I was considering yaking off Hardings and the south side or heading toward west shore of south beach and north Monomoy weather permitting. Yaking off The Light house can be hairy depending on the tides but it is obviously doable. My thought was that you would have greater range of fishable waters off Hardings plus we could run into Bones near the inlets along the south side or head toward the west Monomoy flats... just a thought. But it would be great to get together and go by convoy.

09-07-2000, 09:35 PM
John -

Two points to mention:

- the tunoids have been approaching Harding's lately, if the cold snap didn't push back the currents they should be in the neighborhood

- although the Saturday boat picture faded out earlier there may be two possible additions for Saturday that would change everything

I'll let you know what happens for Saturday ASAP, unfortunately I am not in control of the situation - I just try to keep up with it!

09-08-2000, 06:52 AM
Striblue (John?),

I cannot get down to Chatham on Friday night (I live in NH) but I can get down on Saturday. My brother lives on the South Shore so I will be strategically crashing with him on Friday night for easy weekend Cape access. If you are interested in meeting up (I trust your knowledge if you have some other place that you want to go other than Chatham Light) then get in touch with me via e-mail.

If I don't see you then good luck this weekend.


09-08-2000, 07:32 AM
Juro, Thanks for the message.. I e-mailed Al and told him I was going to cancel... Oh well... I guess I might still show up anyway.. if I am not camping or staying Sunday It probably won't scew things up in the bigger planning picture ,but May try to hook up with two other guys from this board on Saturday in Chatham. I will be e-mailng them this A.M.

09-08-2000, 09:37 AM
John - I regret to hear that, it's been such an awesome season and I hoped you would make this leg of the journey. If you decide to show up, we'll keep an eye open for you.

Let's hook up when the fall migration gets roaring in your neck of the woods!

09-08-2000, 10:20 AM
Juro, thanks and I will keep checking things here and keep the communication open... We can use my place sometime this fall if a mini clave is formed for the fall season some weekend.

09-08-2000, 12:35 PM

Still trying to iron out my work schedule for the weekend. Has been hectic to type the least; haven't been able to more than brief lurking on this site. I may be able to sneak away and fish the Chatham area Saturday.

The thought of following your yak from my (or Craig's) canoe also sounds like fun, assuming the tides aren't too strong. Suspect I have about 4 knot max hull speed. Craig's is a bit faster.

Keep me posted on whether you make the clave either day this weekend, be great to hook up, then hook up. Dying to make the clave Sunday, just don't know if it's possible.


09-08-2000, 01:36 PM
Dave, I will be in Chatham... you know where I live down there and you can stay tonight if you want and if you decide to come down tonight. I will fish Chatham tomorrow and will use the yak OR take the riprider to South Beach if the waters are to windy... So ,that's about it. My number is in the book or you can just show up because I will be leaving Boston around 5;30 or 6 and will probably arrive in Chatham no later that 8.

09-08-2000, 06:21 PM
Fished Chatham this afternoon in the howling wind, on the wrong end of outgoing. Tons of bait around, and a few fish. I'll bet incoming tonight will be superb.


09-08-2000, 10:03 PM

My brother and I prepared the yaks and we are ready to go for tomorrow. I called you twice tonight but (hopefully!) you are out fishing. Anyway, here is the deal. Being lazy bums and all my bro and I have decided not to get up until 5 AM. That will put us in Chatham around 7 AM. If I get in touch with you then we will swing by your place and look for you. If not, even though it would be nice to meet with you and maybe even hop on the Rip Ryder, then we will take the yaks out solo either in Chatham or at Poppy. With the yaks on my roof I just can't take off to Monomoy or South Beach without risking theft of our 2 fishing machines.

So, anyway, if you read this then reply with your plans and maybe we will hook up with you. If our plans look like they will overlap then I will call you in the morning. If not, as always, good luck.



09-08-2000, 11:05 PM
Mike - Here's a compromise... stop at the start of the causeway instead of driving to the Rip Ryder end. Launch the yaks down the little trail into the inlet. It's a quiet paddle (if the wind isn't howling) down to south beach and North Monomoy. Best of both worlds!

Good luck tomorrow, if you decide to show up at the pre-clave instead use Great River ramp off great Neck rd. just before you reach South Cape Beach. It's an easier paddle to Washburn from there.

tight lines,

09-09-2000, 06:14 PM
Mike, I hope you had success while yaking in Chatham. I did get down last night and headed out about 5:30 AM to the Chatham light and bumped into a fellow flyfisher friend who invited me to go out on his boat. He wanted to fish the Ocean side of south beach where you can see all the boats working off shore. Anyway, we had some good luck in catching 5 30 Inches plus stripers in two hours by drifting. I hope we will be able to hook up in the Future and give a call if you are back in Chatham in the fall.I think Juro will be making a trip at some point this fall.

09-09-2000, 09:26 PM

No worries. We did not have much luck near Hardings but we had lots of fun paddling around and checking out new spots in the area. We saw some stripers (some big fish) cruising around on some of the flats but we had no luck with them. After Chatham we went to Poppy (no kayaking there, shore bound) and we saw a huge fish surface to inhale some peanut bunker. Of course, we didn't have the rods out of the car yet (we were only thinking about fishing when we saw this monster) but we quickly readied for our assault like summoned fireman and hit the water. An hour or so later (after fishing through a downpour) we were rewarded with a few fish and a great (first time) sighting of what I believed to be a small school of bonito. They were thrashing some bait, moving rather quickly and sending their fat bodies clear out of the water as they pursued a meal.

I am glad that you had a good day out there. I also hope to hook up with you sometime.

Take care.