Chatham Rental Opportunity-May/June [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Chatham Rental Opportunity-May/June

BigDave
03-31-2008, 04:27 PM
My rental group has 2 available spaces in our Chatham cottage for May/June. The rental includes all of May/June, is reasonably priced, and strategically located near Morris Island/Monomoy and Pleasant Bay. The cottage is clean and comforable. There is a beautiful kettle pond loaded with trout practically in our back yard. There are a total of 4 fishermen that split the rent evenly - I am looking for 2 recruits. If you are interested and would like more details, please send me a private message.

juro
03-31-2008, 05:34 PM
I assume this is the same 2 BR unit I split a couple times... great place.

Did you ever work out how things are scheduled among 4 people?

BigDave
04-01-2008, 08:47 AM
Yep same place although it has been updated a bit since you were with us.

Hopefully the sun comes out sometime before May 1.

striblue
04-01-2008, 11:47 AM
Dave, I know the location well.... I first met Peter Alves years ago their when he managed the Orvis shop . We used to fish together on School House Pond which was a great place for Rainbows and the occasional brown....Great place to wade or float tub and full of trout each year even months after stocking.

Jim Miller
04-01-2008, 12:16 PM
Hey John
funny you should mention Peter Alves. A few years back Peter was doing a series of Video's for Orvis. One was for my friends guiding business up here in the Adirondacks. Shortly there after I did a trip w/ Peter to Monomoy. Pretty lousy fishing that day.... but great company.
Soooo... what ever happened to Peter?
I've heard stories of horse farms and golf careers.

striblue
04-01-2008, 07:37 PM
Jim, I forget where he went. I think it was California and he was into Golf, but I suspect his trip out there had to do with his meeting a girl friend...plus I know he was interested in trying other things besides fishing. At one time I think he was interested in buying Bob Benson's interest in the Orvis shop, but I forget. He was a great ... early fly rodder down there for tuna, and we would fish into November at School House and Goose ponds in Chatham...sometimes the Nickerson ponds. We would switch rods while fishing and I remember he loved using my little Winston 2 wt. These were the days before the FFF and the internet sites. I also remember one thing that stayed in my mind to this day. We were fishing the inside of South beach and saw alot of big fish...but could not get them to hit anything, even Benson's great sand eel (which I will revive and tye this year and share here)...so Alves and I are frustrated... he then says "what the Heck" and pulls out a classic tarpon fly....I think it was orange and purple or some weird color... and starts to hook up one after another... which pissed me off...and he knew it... so he keeps saying stuff like "hey look John , I got another ...my 6th I think")...Thery were not small stripers anyway... all high 20's and low thirties.. I say back.."great Pete..congratulations!"..I think that was the day when matching the hatch for stripers was over for me and to this day I still think Action is the key....not matching or color.

Jim Miller
04-01-2008, 09:11 PM
John
Thanks for the reply and the story. :) I still have one of the early videos of Peter and Benson flats fishing on the West of Monomoy.... and catching a cow! :whoa:

BigDave
04-08-2008, 11:29 AM
Spots filled!

Great stories about the 'glory days' of NM/SB. Hopefully we'll see those days return sometime soon.

John good to hear from you - stop by if you are in the neighborhood.

Dave

striblue
04-08-2008, 05:02 PM
Dave, I am planning on it. One early eve I will bring a trout wand and we can cast a few.... Dusk would be perfect...

jimS
04-08-2008, 05:36 PM
Dave, is Arthur staying there in May/June? I know he stays there in Sept/Oct. We fished a lot together last year, and he is a dynamo. I enjoy his company.

Adrian
04-08-2008, 07:09 PM
Jim

Arthur has apparently found himself a condo so we'll be seeing a lot of him this season.

See ya soon :smokin: