canal spey day. [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: canal spey day.

PEC54
03-26-2008, 10:50 AM
Just a heads up to let you know there will be a very informal spey get together at the Cape Cod Canal Saturday April 26th beginning around 7:30 am, we will meet in the parking lot to the left behind Gallos skating rink. The hope is to practice different types of casts and techniques , and cast different types of lines, also introduce spey casting techniques for single handers. Skagit lines and short or long bellied spey lines all work here. As the season progresses I hope to have several more. Juro if you can make it would be great to see you there.

juro
03-26-2008, 11:26 AM
I can't commit at this point but it sounds like a good outing and I'll try my best to get there.

One tide question (without me looking it up) - river right, river left or both :smokin:

PEC54
03-26-2008, 11:53 AM
Low tides around 10:00 am ,which means you get to fish river left and river right from the same spot:hihi: Hope you can make it.

jfbasser
03-26-2008, 02:44 PM
Hopefully the wind will be from the left:smokin:

FishHawk
03-26-2008, 04:07 PM
I'll be there. FishHawk

sean
03-27-2008, 06:14 PM
Why so early? Think we could get a better turnout if the time was pushed back. Guys coming down from Maine would have to be out the door by like 4am

I would have to get out by 6am and I usually only do that if there are fish involved :)

-sean

PEC54
03-27-2008, 11:59 PM
I'm open as far as the time goes , If a later meeting time works for everyone else thats fine. I was mostly looking at getting a couple hours of each tide direction . How about 9:00 am for a semi offical meeting time. I tend to forget not everyone lives 10 minutes away.:hihi:

Adrian
03-28-2008, 06:58 AM
I will try to be there.

flydoc
03-28-2008, 11:47 AM
I will endeavor to be present:) I have an Atlantis two hander, but do not have (nor can afford at this time) a "spey" line- will a 14 wt Rio Outbound intermediate line be inappropriate? If so, I might just bring the rod and see if I can borrow an appropriate line off someone to try with my rod (or briefly borrow rod/line combos to try)- if for no other reason to get an introduction to this type of casting (as opposed to the two hander overhead casting I have been using with the Atlantis)- my impression is that is what this session is about, rather than fishing per se.
Flydoc
P.S.- Paul- where is Gallos rink in relation to the canal (Cape side, other side) and bridges (closer to Bourne or Sagamore). Thanks!

PEC54
03-28-2008, 11:49 PM
I will endeavor to be present:) I have an Atlantis two hander, but do not have (nor can afford at this time) a "spey" line- will a 14 wt Rio Outbound intermediate line be inappropriate? If so, I might just bring the rod and see if I can borrow an appropriate line off someone to try with my rod (or briefly borrow rod/line combos to try)- if for no other reason to get an introduction to this type of casting (as opposed to the two hander overhead casting I have been using with the Atlantis)- my impression is that is what this session is about, rather than fishing per se.
Flydoc
P.S.- Paul- where is Gallos rink in relation to the canal (Cape side, other side) and bridges (closer to Bourne or Sagamore). Thanks!
Hey Flydoc; Gallos is on the cape side a short distance from the Bourne bridge on the left ,I'll have a couple of rods there so you can try them out, you can also put an appropriate grain skagit line on the CND Atlantis and spey cast with that , I've tried it with a 550 grain and it performs but I'm thinking 600 -700 for better performance. We will also be introducing spey casts for the single hand rod ,they come in handy when fishing the back creeks and estuaries.

PEC54
03-28-2008, 11:51 PM
Gallos is on the right hand side as you head towards the Bourne bridge.:roll:

PEC54
04-19-2008, 12:18 PM
Next week ; sounds like quite a few intend to attend.

flydoc
04-19-2008, 01:54 PM
I'll be there unless I catch some nasty bug from a sick patient. Still planning for 9 AM as the meeting time?
Flydoc

Adrian
04-22-2008, 05:26 PM
Looking good from here right now.

I picked up a 650 grain skagit head recently and my old 15' Bruce & Walker reacted like it got a shot of hi-test fuel :smokin:

It also puts a nice bend in the 11/11 CND Atlantis!

PEC54
04-23-2008, 12:00 AM
650 grains on the Atlantis, just what I was thinking it would take, I tried the 550 and it performed but I had a feeling somewhere between 600-700 would be better. BRILLANT!!!!!

juro
04-23-2008, 04:23 AM
Not looking good for me this weekend, putting a system upgrade into production for a big customer and unless things miraculously resolve by Friday night - Saturday (and Sunday) will be work days for me :frown:

gunner
04-26-2008, 08:31 PM
It was nice meeting you guys today and getting in a little practice. Damn was that water cold though -- will it warm up much by the Spring Clave? Definitely bringing more layers for that.
Joe

PEC54
04-26-2008, 09:16 PM
Unfortunately the near perfect conditions we had been experiencing over the past week could not hold for today, the low 50's compiled with the 20 mph NNE wind did make it a little uncomfortable .On a brighter note we had a good group of spey casters, beginners and seasoned, all good people which made for a good day. An east tide ( river right) with a east wind (right to left) made for some interesting presentations.:Eyecrazy: .There are plans for another spey day in May.

FishHawk
04-27-2008, 06:23 AM
I got to the Spey Day early and had a personal lesson from Seth a seasoned West Coast Spey guy. Learnt a lot . Thanks to Sean Ransom for showing me the various forms of Spey Casting.
While he could not attend Basser was given updates by cell phone.
Again, thanks Paul for putting on the event. FishHawk

flydoc
04-27-2008, 08:10 AM
Fun time at the Spey Day- arrived at 9 AM- greeted by Adrian and FishHawk- quickly discovered you can't make Spey casts with an Atlantis sporting a 14 wt Rio Outbound intermediate line. Fortunately, Sean and Seth were around to show FishHawk and myself how to do it right with FishHawk's new T+T beauty Spey rod. Kudos to Paul C for putting this together...unfortunately he had to show up late due to automotive issues (get-togethers at the canal always seem to trigger car problems with at least one member of the group.....eh, Adrian?). Finished my time there with a wonderful 1-on-1 casting tutorial with Ken Abrames in the Gallo's Arena parking lot, during which he taught me the proper casting stroke to use with his new rod (the one I reserved at the Saltwater Edge show, and that Kenny says should be shipping out next month)....able to cast an entire 9 wt line with little more than a flick of the wrist...amazing!
Flydoc