Vieques advice needed [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Vieques advice needed

virginfly
03-18-2008, 04:26 PM
Finally going to Vieques the end of this month. Anyone have advice on where to go? Looking to wade for bones, permit and small tarpon.

virginfly

Tim D
03-19-2008, 11:22 AM
I've only fished there once but the DIY is very limited. Most of the good flats are only accessible by boat. If I were you I'd contact Gregg McKee at Wild Fly charters. Good guide and will get you to the flats. There is one place where you can actually wade for tarpon. I believe it was Blue Beach but Greg will know. Check out his website.

<link removed>

Tim

juro
03-19-2008, 11:54 AM
URLs - read the free membership agreement
thanks

Vieques - based on what I heard while on Culebra there are bones, tarpon and permit there. If you're there for spring break it's a nice diversion in the off hours but certainly not a destination. Vieques fishermen have been netting the flats for bones and permit, even came over to Culebra which tells me they've tapped the Vieques flats dry, just a guess.

I have done very well with aerial analysis via google earth. Look for roads, flats. pretty simple

Tim D
03-19-2008, 12:02 PM
Sorry about that, didn't mean to step on any toes.

juro
03-19-2008, 12:03 PM
No problem Tim

There's another guide as well with a blog going... cant remember his name. Search culebra vieques charter or tarpon on google

Tim D
03-20-2008, 10:32 AM
My buddy just got back from 3 days fishing there and did ok. Not huge schools of bones, but big one and they eagerly take a fly. When I went last year there were six of us and on one nigth wading for small tarpon, 4 out of the six of us hooked up. Very cool place, good food, wild horses running around. Just remember that when looking at maps, at least a third of the island is off limits due to the fact that is was a naval target area for many years.