Got a keeper the other day... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Got a keeper the other day...

juro
03-06-2008, 10:59 PM
The same length as a keeper striper but a gnarly butt kicking bone!

I just returned from a memorable trip to Puerto Rico (San Juan, Culebra) with Pete Vicar and found a few bones and tarpon to chase. Other Forum friends from as far as Seattle could not make it last minute. The fishing good, the catching not so good...

but at the risk of sounding cliche it was among my most enjoyable trips ever thanks in large part to Pete's ability to savor life to the fullest and the fishing was only a small part of the adventure.

I will post a full report later -

but check out this bad boy... (needless to say it kicked my ass!)

Bob Bergquist
03-07-2008, 01:42 AM
It looks like you kicked it's ass! Very nice, did you get a length?

Galong
03-07-2008, 05:16 AM
Wow, what a gorgeous Fish!!

One nice fish can make a mediocre fishing trip a great trip... well done.

Ciao,
Dave

Dave17
03-07-2008, 10:08 AM
Awesome! Saw that you called last night. I was in a dinner until late. I'm at the gate right now waiting to fly to Nassau so I'll give you a call when I'm back on the mainland.

I have some inside info on a sick Tarpon location so we need to talk.....

petevicar
03-07-2008, 11:38 AM
Here's Juro looking at the local girls in Culebra:) :) :)
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k144/petevicar/dock.jpg

teflon_jones
03-07-2008, 02:06 PM
Here's Juro looking at the local girls in Culebra:) :) :) I would have been dangling a chuck of bait I mean a fly in front of them for sure. ;)

wrke
03-07-2008, 02:35 PM
Juro
Way to go. Beautiful fish. Sitting here at Orange Hill, Dave's arrived, we'll meet up with Jim and Brad for dinner before joining Bob tomorrow at Salina. Wish you were here . . . more later.
Bill

n1gdo
03-07-2008, 02:51 PM
Nice catch Juro...

Bill say hi to Dave and Jim and have a great time down there...

Cannot wait for your report..

frank aka Domino Boy

juro
03-07-2008, 04:03 PM
Well you guys know I wish I could have been there too - but I could not swing the dates or duration.

I hope it's as "ridiculous" as it gets down there for you guys. I have a sneaky suspicion that when the veterans gang up with Bob Berquist and Felton down there in bonefish heaven it's going to be STELLAR.

Stories, pictures please...

juro
03-07-2008, 04:06 PM
It looks like you kicked it's ass! Very nice, did you get a length?

Hope you guys beat that this week.... wish I were there.

A keeper bass is 28 inches (in MA) this fish was measured at about that against the rod, maybe a touch shy.

It looks like my back hand is pushing against the dorsal and the tip of the bone's tail is actually well underneath me in this pic. It was quite a fish, I lost one much bigger on Exuma one year, in the teens.

Also the bones we saw at Graveyard were bigger than this fish too. I also saw a pair around the point from Harry's that were bigger than this, and this fish was not the biggest in it's pod either.

Good luck guys.

Bob Bergquist
03-07-2008, 05:14 PM
We've been seeing a few that might go that big, but our bigger fish tend to be in the bight in the fall rather than the spring. The biggest fish we are getting now are on the deep grass flats on the ocean side which fish best durring cold fronts when it is calm on that side, and have only had one CF that made it here this year.

We have a spot for you next year!

acklinsboy
03-08-2008, 12:27 AM
Acklins is truly a remarkable place, we can all agree!

Where else in the world can we entertain our friends for free, without a care?

Enjoy guys!!

Felton

Frogfish
03-08-2008, 10:42 PM
Nice job Juro and Pete! Can't wait for the full report!