Lo-tech weather forecaster [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Lo-tech weather forecaster

juro
02-26-2008, 11:09 AM
when you can't get on-line...

Paxton
02-26-2008, 02:06 PM
That's just as good as what I use to predict weather:
If I have a day open to go to the Cape...it will be windy and raining. If I am working that day....it's FAC at the Cape...the longer away the plan is to go to the Cape, the higher the likelihood that the weather will be crappy...if I plan a stay over and make reservations at a motel...the second day predicted to be great weather suddenly changes around 7 pm :) I still think that Keith's formula for predicting wind at the elbow is accurate almost 100% of the time....he says that if winds of 10 to 15 are predicted, just add the 2 together and that's what it will be.
Ron

juro
02-26-2008, 04:22 PM
At the Rockport General Store on the gorgeous Skagit River in Washington State is a machine built specifically for kicking oneself in the ass. It has a crank, gears and a logger's shoe on a plank that delivers the self-administered (and typically well-deserved) blow to the booty.

I would imagine that the crank has been turned over the years for all manner of mishap, and I forgot to look but the shoe probably has a bullet hole in the toe as well :hihi:

Adrian
02-28-2008, 09:48 AM
Over in Eire there is a mountain in Co. Mayo called Nephin overlooking Lough Conn.

Local lore goes somewhat as follows:

i) If ye can see Nephin, it's goin' ta rain!
ii) If ya can't see Nephin, it's already rainin' :hihi:

Penguin
02-28-2008, 11:48 AM
Solid State "Quartz" version procured in NC in the mid-70's from the Cherokees...
Hang it outside the teepee or any window...
Haul it in for the latest weather...
Wet=raining
Cold=cold
Hot=hot
Bangin' around=windy

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa176/Phracas/WeatherStone2.jpg