Abel reels status [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Abel reels status

josko
02-21-2008, 07:09 PM
What's the currewnt legal/ownership status of Abel reels? last thing I heard, they were owned by some Scottish bank and about to go into bankruptcy proceedings, but that was a year or so ago.

JR SPEY
02-22-2008, 09:59 AM
They've since been purchased by an investment group from here in the US (New York.) The company calls itself Abel Holdings LLC. Time will tell if this is a good thing or not, but one would have to presume it is.

Eddie
02-24-2008, 08:49 AM
Jeff @ Abel told me that for the first time in a while, they are moving ahead with new products, so the new investors seem to be a good thing (stability and maybe some new capital).

chainsaw
02-25-2008, 03:04 PM
Maybe they will lower the prices, yeah right...

josko
02-27-2008, 07:50 AM
I find it a little disquieting to buy a 'lifetime' reel from a company that's changing hands so often.

Jim Miller
02-27-2008, 03:11 PM
I picked up a Abel 4 w/ a Super 10 spare spool last summer.
Should I be worried about the warranty? ;)

FWIW: I have had a Tibor Everglades for almost 20 years... never had a warranty or factory concern. What's the Abel issue? Parts?

FKrow
02-29-2008, 09:58 PM
I believe the UK sale was not completed due to financial problems with Sharps of Aberdeen.

This will be the first sale of Abel and it is to a USA company which is encouraging.

Steve and Gina Abel have done a fantastic job with the company and deserve to retire with the confidence their products will continue on for the long term.

Regards,
FK

Eddie
03-01-2008, 11:19 AM
The Tibor Everglades was introduced in the mid-late 90's. Time flies when you're having fun:)

At this time, Abel is still in the same location with the same staff. I wouldn't be surprised if the investment group gets bored of this vanity "investment" and sells it in a few years. Billionaires buy lodges, rod companies and shops all the time. Rarely do they stay in the game (owner of Scott and Winston have stuck with it for a while). When you do the math, buying a Dominos franchise is more profitable and less work. Not as much fun as a fishing project...untill you find yourself bailing out your "partner" every year.

You still have a "lifetime reel". How long do you plan on living? Nothing lasts forever.

Large spring and pawl spey reel, reintroducing the TR, quick change spool among other plans.

phlyphyshr
03-02-2008, 07:07 PM
Abel has been around for 20 yrs. Changed hands once. Company's change ownership all the time, the one's you need to worry about are those who don't/can't because they have no future.

By the way most of the reel designs were not from Steve Abel, but Glen Krapff, who is still with Abel and is one of the owners.