BVI [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: BVI

chainlynx
02-20-2008, 09:44 PM
Hi, I am headed to BVI. I have a half day trip booked on the first day from nanny Cay, then I am off with my family on a 6 night sailing trip with a stop @ aneagada for the day. Any advice of specific falts throughout the Islands? Info on flies would be helpful as well. Thanks in advance for any tips, Mike

virginfly
02-25-2008, 03:33 PM
There are several fairly good flats in the BVI, weather permitting. Not sure when you are going but right now and it's usual for this time of year, the winds are up and the water is colder then usual. There are fish to be found but it'll take some work. Areas I'd consider: Far eatern side of little Jost Van Dyke by Tabou...nice little protected flat and good food at Tabou; there are lots of little flats on south side of Tortola but am sure the guide out of Nanny Key will cover them...he's a little expensive so should freely give you advice on where else to go (or at least he better!); nice flat by Drakes Anchor and also north side by The Bitter End on Virgin Gorda; Anegada has tremendous flats, mostly untouched. The better area (in my humble opinion) is south/east of The Settlement and mostly accessed by boat. There is fairly good wading north and south of Anegada Reef Hotel but the wind most likely will be up so plan accordingly (I'd use a 9wt). If you have the time ask for Garfield (my favorite) or Clinton (can be chartered in advance). Both very knowledgable about Anegada flats fishing. For flies I'd try to match the bottom with mostly tan to off white flies in a varietry of sizes (2-8) and both weighted and unweighted. Good luck and let me know how it goes!

VIRGINFLY

arubaman
02-26-2008, 05:44 PM
Run a search on a dutch guy whos name is Limpe. He posted some topics about bonaire here and I know he went to Anegada and landed some nice fish. Its a very nice fellow and if you get into contact with him hell give you some advice on what hes done there for as far as i know him.
Good luck!

chainlynx
03-06-2008, 11:25 PM
Thank you. I fished trellis bay bridge, the flat betweel little and big yost and misquito island flat. Not many opportunities, but managed a few.