Help with Permit flies [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Help with Permit flies

chesterlh
02-16-2008, 06:08 AM
Hi folks,
I am heading to Cuba in early April. I have arranged some fishing for tarpon, bonefish and permit. I was there last year and saw all three and had a shot at the slam, but no such luck. I am looking for permit fly patterns, especially intructions for epoxy flies. I have searched this site and found references, but am looking for specific instructions on how to tie the crab patrerns. Also, while I have Merkins, do you have any crab patterns or permit fly recommendations? I'm covered for bonefish flies, and am slowly building a collection of tarpon flies, but any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Lewis

JR SPEY
02-16-2008, 09:09 AM
Your best resource for that is Fly Fishing for Permit, Jack Samson's second book on permit fishing. There is an excellent section on flies with good quality color plates. I like Jan Isely's Raghead, the Velcro Coin crab, Enrico Puglisi's crab, Will Bauer's wool crab as well as lighter versions of the merkin. I'd also bring some skittel shrimp and mantis shrimp patterns, especially in green or olive (for the mantis shrimp.)

Bob Bergquist
02-18-2008, 05:49 PM
The epoxy/chopped yarn Casa Blanca style raghead tied in light tan with a long hackle tail has been my best permit fly by far.:)

doctorsteve
02-19-2008, 08:11 AM
The epoxy/chopped yarn Casa Blanca style raghead tied in light tan with a long hackle tail has been my best permit fly by far.:)

Bob, can you post a pic of one?
Thanks,
Steve