Stillwater River in MA [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Stillwater River in MA

Dan Emidy
02-15-2008, 10:56 AM
I am new to flyfishing and I have a slight Interest in Salmon fishing. I am more into trout fishing, but I want to try many types of fly fishing. I was reading in the book Trout Streams of Southern New England that the Stillwater river that flows into Wachusett Reservoir. They said that there is a run in the spring, and to time your fishing to that. I was curious if anyone here knows when that is. I have also read some articles here and there about Salmon fishing that said that it is difficult to find the pools they like to hold in. I would like to get some recomindations on how to find them, if someone is in the know, where to find them there, and maybe a book to get.

There is a local lake that is stocked with salmon too. It is Lake Pearl in Wrentham MA. I was told to fish by the Dam. What kind of things do salmon look for in a lake? I am interested in fishing this pond, and some other ponds that have salmon. When are they active in ponds?

Any additional info would be good too,
Thanks
Dan

millerbrown
02-15-2008, 06:34 PM
The salmon in the stillwater are landlocked slamon - not be be confused with sea run Atlantic Salmon. The salmon that you mentioned in that lake are probably stocked broodstock salmon that many lakes receive during the year.

The Stillwater has landlocked salmon that chase smelt in the early spring but return to this stream in the Fall to spawn. That is a great time to fish for them. Any local TU chapter or tackle shop can direct you.

I don't like fishing ponds or lakes for broodstock salmon. It's really a joke. Why it's done is beyond me.

Millerbrown

teflon_jones
02-15-2008, 10:24 PM
I live right down the street from Lake Pearl. Don't bother fishing for the broodstock salmon. Stick to fishing for the bass in the lake. It's a much better use of your time, and there's a lot more of them! The few broodstock fish that live there are found in the deep holes in the lake because the water temps get pretty high in the summers, plus there's a lot of recreational traffic. Even if you plan fishing for bass any time between Memorial Day and Labor Day, fish early in the morning or late in the evening. The rest of the day there's too many recreational boaters that put the fish down and in general just don't make for a fun day of fishing.