Trying to buy a fly line [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Trying to buy a fly line

josko
02-14-2008, 05:46 PM
I stopped by four RI/SE Mass. fly shops trying to buy an 8 wt Cortland Lazerline. No luck. All four tried to sell me something else, and that got me wondering:
1. Is the Cortland 444 Lazerline obsolete at this point?
2. How hard is it for flyshops to keep likes like this in stock? The 444 used to be a steple bonefishing line, and the 8 wt the most popular.
3. I wonder if I'm just used to old equipment that's not selling anymore. I'm also noticing the old 34007's are becoming hard to find
4. Or is it that flyfishing is declining in popularity and flygear is harder to find in local stores?

FishHawk
02-15-2008, 06:11 AM
Give Scott a call he sells the hooks and line your looking for. One of the few fly shops around that sells gear and not clothes . A hardcore fly shop for the hardcore fisherman. FishHawk

josko
02-15-2008, 07:39 AM
Bear's Den was one of the fly shops I visited. Last night, I also noticed that neither 'The Fly Shop' nor 'Huntersangling' carry Cortland lines. That really got me wondering what the story with Cortland is.

It seems that BassPro is the only local store that carries Cortland Lazerline in stock. I've been trying not to go there, but it seems that's a sign of the times.

vtloon
02-15-2008, 08:14 AM
You can get them from Feather-craft. You're right, they do seem to have pulled in their horns quite a bit. Too bad, I've never had a Cortland line I didn't like a lot, and the Lazerline was their best.

FredA
02-15-2008, 11:07 AM
Great lines. They need to rename them once in awhile to maintain market buzz.

Jim Miller
02-15-2008, 11:22 AM
used to be that Cortland made lines under their label and for others (under different names). Not positive.... but I seem to recall that Orvis lines were made by Cortland. Maybe Cabelas too.

millerbrown
02-15-2008, 06:40 PM
I think that I remember that Cortland made a LOT of lines for different names. I think that may still be the case. Maybe that's where the market is these days.

Millerbrown

teflon_jones
02-15-2008, 10:27 PM
I've got one of those and it's an awesome line (8 wt Tropic Plus Lazerline). Best of luck finding it. I don't like giving my money to Bass Pro either, but sometimes you need to give the devil his due.

josko
02-16-2008, 06:45 AM
Has anybody tried an Orvis Silver Label on hot flats? It doesn't really say how long the body is or how stiff it is in the Orvis catalog, and sierratradingpost has them cheap.