Bear's Den Show [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Bear's Den Show

FishHawk
02-11-2008, 04:43 AM
We it was a great event. Scott pulled it off. Better than the Marlboro show. Saw a lot of Forum members. Flydoc, Warren and his wife, CSJ60, Paul Cheever, Slinger, Capt Ray , Paxton and his son:hihi: Basser , Fred A and his wife . Guernseybass and the Penguin.
A nice show. Had a good talk with Trevor from T&T. FishHawk

Guernseybass
02-11-2008, 06:29 AM
yup, nice to see you guys and have a chance to sit down with some of the tyers too.

I didn't like the white-out on the way home much though :Eyecrazy:

GB

polareyez
02-11-2008, 08:56 AM
"Dad" and I thought it was nice to bump into Flydoc and Fishhawk. It took me a few minutes to recognize Flydoc though. I apologize but, I've never seen you without a hat....:eek:

I was surprised at all the saltwater tyers. Also, I was a little disappointed when Lefty pretended he didn't recognize us as we walked by....

Guernseybass
02-11-2008, 09:52 AM
Also, I was a little disappointed when Lefty pretended he didn't recognize us as we walked by....

when he walked past me, he asked me to move a table for him - so I said" sure, want me to run out and get you a coffee as well ? .........." :chuckle:

teflon_jones
02-11-2008, 01:42 PM
It was the best Bear's Den show I've been to yet. I especially liked that Scott brough products with him to sell, which was something I think was sorely lacking at the past shows. There were also more tiers than I've ever seen. There were more than even the Marlboro show, and most of the guys were actually tying flies and not just sitting there! It's both good and bad that what may be the last show was also the best.

Penguin
02-11-2008, 02:37 PM
Scott burned the barn down with this one!

The "Inner Circle / High Roller" suite was a great idea... :Eyecrazy:
Free drinks, cold cuts and shrimp...
Freebies...Promotional samples...
What a CONCEPT! :whoa:
BRILLIANT!!!
What happens in Vegas...STAYS in Vegas!!! :lildevl: :razz:

flydoc
02-11-2008, 07:20 PM
It took me a few minutes to recognize Flydoc though. I apologize but, I've never seen you without a hat....:eek:

Gary- Don't feel bad...I had to eyeball you a few times myself before I was fully convinced you were who I thought you were. Great chatting with you and your "dad" about the latest advances in the medical management of a certain problem, one for which the government needs to invest millions more research dollars (and perhaps some celebrity should start a telethon for) before we can finally develop a "cure".:lildevl:

Great time this weekend at both the Saltwater Edge and Bear's Den shows...finally got to meet Warren's wife Pam, soon to be inducted into the saltwater flyfishing community (and if Lefty is correct about gender and casting ability, eventually the Hall of Fame). Got to meet the one and only Kenny Abrames at the SE show, courtesy of Basser and Sean R.....it didn't take long for Sean and Kenny to get me to loosen up my pursestrings and reserve one of Kenny's new rods (actually, I was sold after a few casts in the courtyard with Sean, but thoroughly enjoyed listening to Kenny talk about his rods...it's obvious he's put alot of time, sweat, and experience into their design...and the price was nice too).
Also a blast finally getting to see Lefty in person...I've been watching two of his casting DVD's for the last couple months at home...still get a chuckle over his pronunciation of the word "farther" (in Maryland they apparently pronounce it fuh-thir, while up here we say fah-thuh). Lastly, got to meet Rich Murphy (and buy his new book), who ironically lives in my hometown....within walking distance of my parents' place (where I grew up).....small world:smile:
And always great to hook up with the Forum crew: Warren (and Pam), Basser, Sean R, Sean McD, FishHawk, Craig, Gary, Ron, Paul, Mark, Slinger, Fred, and a certain Phlightless Phishing Phanatic;)
See y'all at the Clave!
Flydoc

Adrian
02-11-2008, 09:22 PM
Sorry I missed this double-header.....:confused:

vtloon
02-12-2008, 11:21 AM
Sorry to have missed this, but was taking my Grandson to ski races at Jay Peak.

So, if I have this right, as I was standing half-way up the mountain on the Canadian border in a 30 kt. white-out, you guys were tying flies, casting new rods and eating free shrimp. Hmmm!

polareyez
02-12-2008, 11:31 AM
Great chatting with you and your "dad" about the latest advances in the medical management of a certain problem, one for which the government needs to invest millions more research dollars (and perhaps some celebrity should start a telethon for) before we can finally develop a "cure".:lildevl:

AND if the telethon lasts more than 4 hours be sure to contact a medical professional......:hihi:

Warren
02-14-2008, 07:01 PM
Scotty the owner of the Bears Den just called me. I won a Nautilus reel. How cool is that?:D

flydoc
02-14-2008, 08:04 PM
Scotty the owner of the Bears Den just called me. I won a Nautilus reel. How cool is that?:D

Hmmm....I thought Scott's palms looked a little greasy after you'd finished shaking hands with him at the raffle table :hihi:
Flydoc

Warren
02-15-2008, 06:15 AM
Hmmm....I thought Scott's palms looked a little greasy after you'd finished shaking hands with him at the raffle table :hihi:
Flydoc

Are suggesting impropriety my good doctor?:hihi: :hihi:

vtloon
02-15-2008, 07:35 AM
I think Pam must have brought the luck; you'd better bring her fishing from now on.

Penguin
02-15-2008, 08:33 AM
Not too long ago there was an imposing figure among us who was a true raffle magnet... :hihi:
The guy (let's just call him Fred) would scoop up goodies like a band of hungry Gypsies at a seafood buffet... :eek:
Perhaps there's a new kid in town with "The Gift" ?! :confused: ;)

FredA
02-15-2008, 11:04 AM
The guy (let's just call him Fred) would scoop up goodies like a band of hungry Gypsies at a seafood buffet...

Ah, the good old days. Seems like a long time ago. I think someone stole that torch several years ago. I suspect it was basser but then, he hasn't won anything aside from a cribbage game or two.

Congratulations Warren!

FishHawk
02-15-2008, 02:53 PM
Well, I agree with Todd (Vt Loon) the reel will look good on Pam's new flyrod.:hihi:
FishHawk

jfbasser
02-15-2008, 04:50 PM
Ah, the good old days. Seems like a long time ago. I think someone stole that torch several years ago. I suspect it was basser but then, he hasn't won anything aside from a cribbage game or two.

Congratulations Warren!

I made quite a killing at the Firefly show this year...flyline, tuna print original, and a sextet of flatwings:devil: still behind ten games in lunchtimecribbage, but I plan to make it up and surge ahead sometime in March :smokin:

Warren
02-15-2008, 05:13 PM
I went & got my reel today as I was in Massachusetts for other business. It is a Nautilus FW5 fresh water reel. Not bad for 20 bucks:D Of course I had to buy $300 of other stuff I probably could live without while I was there ;)

Pam has already claimed it. Dang now I have to build a five Wt for her too!:hihi:

flydoc
02-15-2008, 07:20 PM
Pam has already claimed it. Dang now I have to build a five Wt for her too!:hihi:

Better start stocking up on those Sage blanks:D
Flydoc

teflon_jones
02-15-2008, 10:20 PM
Congrats on winning Warren! Once again, I got skunked. I've dumped enough money into the raffles by now to have bought myself some nice equipment, but I haven't won anything yet! Scott called my father in law last night to let him know he won that lanyard they offered up this year though.

rel1
02-17-2008, 02:58 AM
I also attended the show and met up with some of the people I fish with in L'il Rhody- great to see you all again its been a long winter. However I made an interesting observation while strolling along and watching the various tiers- many of the saltwater tieers were tying flies with spun deerhair heads of one form or another. I don't mean just snake flies but flatwing style "muddlers". I was wondering if thsy might know something or is it just the tying cycle going back to the "old" style of flies which tended to be more bulky than today's sparse ties. Just some food for thought.
Congratulations Warren, I guess I didn't have any luck if Scott is making the calls already. Ron

Guernseybass
02-17-2008, 03:59 PM
Ron, Bob Pops and Jonny King have been 'spinning' bucktail and kinky fiber respectively to make easier to cast (LARGE) patterns that push more water.

I have tied up a few myself to fish very slowly at night in the surf;)