Dealing witrh reef cutoffs [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Dealing witrh reef cutoffs

josko
02-08-2008, 08:24 AM
I'm trying to improve my technique for landing large (>20 lb) Cubera snapper, but even with 20# tippets and 12 wts, have a very hard time keeping them from diving back into their hole when hooked. I know the drill is to try to get right on top of them asap, but even so, my landing percentages are very poor. I'm finding them a lot harder tto boat hen GT's, largely because they invariably head right back for their lair, instead of slugging it out around rocks, as GT's tend to do.

Has anybody honed up the fighting method for these bruiser reef dwellers?

BigDave
02-08-2008, 12:39 PM
Maybe beef up the tippet? I have no experience with Cuberas on reefs but have fished Amberjacks (>30#) over wrecks with 12-14wts. A couple have gotten into the wreck and frayed the leader/stripped the coating right off the flyline but the 39# floro held. Can't say if the wreck was as sharp as a coral head. Same drill you describe which is lock up the drag point the rod at the fish and hold on...

juro
02-08-2008, 10:51 PM
At least you're vertical on them, I've found hooking up while wading is a nightmare with a number of species near any coral structures when the line goes horizontal.

Also there are "lakes" where they thrive where I see most of the hero pics come from, I believe there is a section in Randall Kaufmann's Bonefish book. In the Bahamas have been shown spots by locals where big cuberas hang out - deep mangroves cuts that are shaded and never dry at low tide... but they look disastrous to try to extract a large fish from.

I haven't fished for cubera but I would imagine they are not very line-shy from looking at their mugs, how about kevlar leader?

Maybe you could find some muttons or reds :)