Bermuda fly fishing advice sought [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Bermuda fly fishing advice sought

scottr
01-29-2008, 04:06 PM
For the past two years I have had a to attend a conference in Sanibel Island FL and have taken one day to fly fish for snook, jacks, etc with guide Dave Gibson. It is usually in late March.

This year the conference has moved to Bermuda (the first week of April) and I am now considering the fly fishing opportunities. I was very excited thinking bonefish (a species I have never chased) but after doing some research including reading threads on the subject on this board it seems the opportunities for bones are there but that it will be limited. I am planning on taking a few extra days just for fishing.

I am staying in Southhampton and based on Google Earth my hotel is a few miles from Long Bay. I have considered hiring a guide (the only FF Bonefish guide on the island) for a day but more than that gets expensive really fast so I want to try and do as much DIY fishing while there. I prefer shore fishing (from boat or land) to blue water and I am not big on fishing for fish that weigh more than me.

My questions are:

Does anyone have any more recent info than what I have found on the post in threads on this forum? Anyone willing to give up spots in a PM?

Will my Sage RPL+ 10ft 8wt with Ross Gunnison be ok? I have caught about an 8lb snook and salmon up to 17lbs on the rod as well as steelhead, mackerel, ladyfish and other species on this set up but I am not sure on bones.

Any local fly recommendations for the area (otherwise I will just go w/ standard bonefish flies)?

Do I need to be worried about accidentally trespassing onto David Bowie's private beach (or any private or a resort property)?

What kind of license do I need?

Aside from Sharks, Rays, Urchins, and Barracuda are there any other nasty critters in the water like Man-o-Wars that I need to worry about when wading?

Thanks in advance for any help

Scottr

n1gdo
01-30-2008, 08:01 AM
I have not been there in years but I recall some great flats at Long Bay near the place called Cambridge Beaches..

The problem is I think April is too early for Bonefish... as I recall the local folks told me that the fishing for bonefish was better around July...

There are other good species to go after... big Cuda and Bermuda Chub which are big and strong...

By the way Bermuda is a beautiful island and the people are extremely friendly and warm... some of the nicest I have met in my travels.

juro
01-30-2008, 08:38 AM
I got several shots at 8# plus bones on the beaches near the Marriott on Somerset, which is just to the northwest of where you will be.

Take the pink bus in the early morning or drive. I just found a park the locals pointed me to and walked the shoreline. There were campers there but friendly. They would talk of hooking big bones on handlines using chunks of raw chicken. They claimed that the bonefish went nuts for it but they could not stop them with the hand lines.

I could not believe the average size of the bones. I did not land any in the short morning excursion I made away from the cruise ship on the opposite end of Bermuda, and had to hop back on the bus to get back before a formal dinner and tardiness would be punishable by death or worse.

Lots of cuda around which I avoided because I was rigged for bones. Jacks busting on bait near currents (around the Aquarium for instance).

Most of the locals wanted snapper inshore and allison tuna offshore (yellowfin).

The inside channels appear to be bone-friendly as well but I would check them in the early morning and evening for tailers with a lightly weighted or unweighted fly.

The inner waterways looked a lot like tarpon water to me as well but since Bermuda is so far north and isolated I don't know for sure.

I think the larval stages of bonefish aid their broad distribution where it seems tarpon are migratory unless trapped or lured by restaurant docks to linger. Just a guess, too busy at work to look it up right now but good luck.

scottr
01-30-2008, 01:20 PM
I have not been there in years but I recall some great flats at Long Bay near the place called Cambridge Beaches..

The problem is I think April is too early for Bonefish... as I recall the local folks told me that the fishing for bonefish was better around July...

There are other good species to go after... big Cuda and Bermuda Chub which are big and strong...

By the way Bermuda is a beautiful island and the people are extremely friendly and warm... some of the nicest I have met in my travels.

Thanks for the advice. April is a little early for bones from what I understand but if the water is warm enough I also understand they can be they all year round.

Bones would be great but if they are not there I hope to catch something but have never rigged for Barracuda. I assume I need wire leaders and larger streamer flies but how does one release them?

scottr
01-30-2008, 01:24 PM
I got several shots at 8# plus bones on the beaches near the Marriott on Somerset, which is just to the northwest of where you will be.

Take the pink bus in the early morning or drive. I just found a park the locals pointed me to and walked the shoreline. There were campers there but friendly. They would talk of hooking big bones on handlines using chunks of raw chicken. They claimed that the bonefish went nuts for it but they could not stop them with the hand lines.

I could not believe the average size of the bones. I did not land any in the short morning excursion I made away from the cruise ship on the opposite end of Bermuda, and had to hop back on the bus to get back before a formal dinner and tardiness would be punishable by death or worse.

Lots of cuda around which I avoided because I was rigged for bones. Jacks busting on bait near currents (around the Aquarium for instance).

Most of the locals wanted snapper inshore and allison tuna offshore (yellowfin).

The inside channels appear to be bone-friendly as well but I would check them in the early morning and evening for tailers with a lightly weighted or unweighted fly.

The inner waterways looked a lot like tarpon water to me as well but since Bermuda is so far north and isolated I don't know for sure.

I think the larval stages of bonefish aid their broad distribution where it seems tarpon are migratory unless trapped or lured by restaurant docks to linger. Just a guess, too busy at work to look it up right now but good luck.

Juro,

Thanks for the help. I read your reports a couple times, so on top of this, you have been most helpful.

Will my 8wt handle it (except for Tarpon of course)?

Do I need a license to fish (edit: never mind a google search answered this)? No BTW for anyone else interested but there are size, species, and limit restrictions.

Have any good chicken leg patterns?

Thanks

Scottr

n1gdo
01-30-2008, 02:45 PM
Yes you will need wire for cuda...there are some huge cuda there and easily reached from the shore..

How to release them ? I suppose a wise guy would say carefully .... but needle nose pliers are all I ever needed... just be careful of their teeth...

I would think any fly that moves fast will attract their attention so a two handed retrieve might be best... also a fly that is 6" long artificial hair and bright green or red or chartruese would be good to look like a needle fish.

I caught cuda there easily over 3 feet long... they will run and jump etc... lots of fun.