Forum Dinner kicks off 08 season. [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Forum Dinner kicks off 08 season.

FishHawk
01-20-2008, 07:28 AM
Had a great time at the Forum Dinner last night swapping stories and planning our tactics for the upcoming season.
Good to see and talk with CJS60, Guernseybass, Slinger , Fred A, JBasser, Adrian, Shad Freak, Striblue, Tom D, Juro, Warren, VtLoon, and the mystery lurker.
Had a nice chat with Packman , Drew and Chris from Maine and lots of laughs with Sean Juan , and Double Haul.
Kenny Abrams stopped by to say hello. I missed the Penguine.
We talked about upcoming Rip Trips and the Spring Clave with is on the weekend of May 17th.
Watched a good talk on Squid Flies by Capt Ray.

kennebecfly
01-20-2008, 08:17 AM
Yes always a pleasure to run into you Bill , I would have liked to make the dinner but its a long way from home. Glad to see our Clave dates are set :smokin: I best get tying

Warren
01-20-2008, 08:37 AM
I have to echo Bills sentiments. It was good to meet Basser, Fred and TomD.
Ran into Sean Juan and some young fella with him, introduce to me as his protégé. who had very much the same sense of humor. One wonders if the same cookie cutter was used? :hihi: As an added Bonus I was able to meet the world famous Double Haul. And as always it is a pleasure to see Adrian, Gurnsey Bass, striblue, CSJ60, VTloon & Juro

Slinger was there too! buddy you are in a category of your own:D :D

The show was good too. At the America Museum of Fly Fishing booth, I was able to meet Stan Bogden, the famous New Hampshire reel maker . Had a nice chat with Capt Ray & Elise his wife. Spent a few minutes chatting with Gary Soucey who was there, he is an author & acquaintance of my dad. And sat through a fairly informative presentation on photo composition by Barry Beck.

I missed the penguin too. :mad:

Guernseybass
01-20-2008, 08:59 AM
great to see you guys and temporarily relieve the shack nasties.

I hope to see a load of you at the bearsden show on the 10th ;)

& thanks due to Bill for organising it. cheers fella.

Mark

striblue
01-20-2008, 09:08 AM
Thanks Bill for your efforts in setting this up. It was great to see everyone in one place at mid winter. Got there about 3 and made a couple walks around .The show itself seemed to be going a bit downhill as the years go by. Alot of booths missing. Looked for First Light. Not there, as well as a lack in booths with tying stuff, not to mention probably 75% of the manufacturers. Stopped by the booth selling reels called Hatch, and my friends from Fishing The Cape. Spoke with Alan Caolo about fishing this season down in Chatham. Finally met Brad Burns of Stripers for Ever. Missed Capt Ray and Bob Pop and Double Haul. Good to speak with Kenny A. Spoke with Pacman and Todd Surrette for a while. CSJ60 ,FredA and Jbasser were also at the dinner and basser was in his prime . Spoke for a while with Pete (penguin) who could not make the dinner but showed me his Charlton MAKO reels, which were in a heavy leather shoulder case he had from his days in the service that he said was called a GUATEMALAN ASSASSINS BAG :whoa: Truthfully. Gunner showed up for the dinner and I stopped by the Federation of Fyfishers booth and tried to talk Bob Ford, of who is a fellow member, along with me, of the Flycasters of Boston , to attend the dinner but he was committed to the TA dinner.. See you all at the spring clave. was a PS...Only two no-shows from the sign up list, so that was not bad.

gunner
01-20-2008, 09:40 AM
down the other end from Fishhawk was me. It was great getting to meet you guys in person and I look forward to making it down for some fishing. Will try to make the spring clave -- it seems to take forever for the stripers to make it up the Kennebec while reading about all the fish you guys are catching.
Joe

jfbasser
01-20-2008, 11:10 AM
Thanks to Bill for organizing the get together. Good to meet all the folks to kick off the new season :smokin:

FredA
01-20-2008, 11:15 AM
Good seeing everybody. Don't know if the show is going downhill or is it just more of the same old same old. Great seeing the mainiacs, Daryl, Daryl and thier other brother Daryl - sorry you couldn't stay for dinner. Always good to see penguin and his new boy toyz (I liked the stealth finish on that new Reddington prototype reel). I got proper introductions from JF to Ken Abrams and Josko. Always liked Abrams content rich site and when I started looking at these fishing boards Josko's posts were among the first to grab my attention.

juro
01-20-2008, 03:29 PM
Great breaking bread with the gang - we had quite a table load of characters and it was just a fraction of the local contingent.

In fact we looked like the second largest group behind the liars convention but I am sure we outdid them with our fish stories ;)

I'll catch up to the rest of you thugs out west, down in the tropics, or the weekend before Memorial for those coming to the spring clave.

Adrian
01-20-2008, 06:23 PM
Great time at the dinner last night meeting up with old friends and new. Thanks Bill for pulling this one together.

I did the show today as I was doing booth duty for the FFF. They have a cool program running right now (Project Healing Waters) dedicated to helping vets from Afganistan and Iraq.

Things certainly were a bit reduced from when I was last there two years ago. Still some great deals to be had. I couldn't resist the 8/9 Beulah switch rod that Scott had on display at Bears Den - plus it came with a free Rio Mid Spey line :smokin:

TFO has a cool new line of rods out - the Axiom series with a price point that defies belief. I made a few casts with the 9ft 9wt and was very impressed - but managed to resist the temptation.

Also had a good chat with Eddie who was playing with an awesome bamboo 4/5 wt that cast effortlessly beyond 60ft. The price tag on that one was a bit higher so I resisted :lildevl:

juro
01-20-2008, 06:46 PM
I couldn't resist the 8/9 Beulah switch rod that Scott had on display at Bears Den - plus it came with a free Rio Mid Spey line :smokin:

Adrian you dog! I was loving all over that yesterday. Sorry about the drool.

I can't wait to give that one a try...

vtloon
01-20-2008, 06:59 PM
What a great get-together! A diverse crew brought together by an obsession-in-common. May can't come too soon. Thanks Bill and others who helped for all the work to put this together. All most of us had to do was show up, drink some beers and tell some lies.

I thought the show was significantly diminished on the tackle side, but still strong on the tying. Highlights: watching Ray S tie his Squid fly; Bob Pop showing me how to get my Tuff-Flye into the fly body; playing with a couple of Ken Abrams new 10'6" rods. In the end, remarkably little retail therapy.

An acid test: the 4 hr drive back today....thought of nothing but fly-fishing the salt.

RayStachelek
01-21-2008, 05:06 PM
Sound like everyone had a good time and left with a full belly.

Could not go to the shindig, but talked to Bill and Warren earlier in the day.
Know they put in plenty of time and effort getting it off the ground.

Elise and I want to thank everyone who stopped by the front porch.

Nice to have you kick off your shoes, sit on the rocking chair and reach into the pickle jar. Great seeing everyone together again.

Capt. Ray

tomd
01-21-2008, 07:19 PM
thanks Bill for organizing the dinner, it was great to see you guys and lie about.... I mean relate all those true fishing stories :chuckle:

it was great to meet some folks I didn't know and as always a pleasure to see you salty dogs I know.

Tom D

Dble Haul
01-22-2008, 09:32 AM
Sorry that I missed Adrian, Striblue, and Penguin.....but great to meet vtloon and Warren. Sounds like everyone had a good time at the meal on Saturday evening and makes me wish I could have stayed for it.

The tying row was great to see. Sean Juan and I talked with Fishy Fullum for about 1/2 hour, and then went to give Roger Plourde and Capt Ray a hard time. Capt Ray's mythbusting presentation was fun, and test casting a few of the Echo rods was eye-opening. Two words came out of my mouth after casting into the far curtain after one double haul on the 10 foot 7 weight: Holy @#^*! This will probably be my new steelhead rod. :smokin:

I agree that the show seemed sparse, but when you're spending time with Sean Juan and bumping into people that you haven't seen in a few years (Fred, Juro, Bill), it's all good. :)

RayStachelek
01-22-2008, 01:14 PM
Mark and Sean Juan had front row seats at the Mythbusters seminar on catching trophy bass.

The only two there that caught a bass over 25 lbs. Just goes to show the talent here in the Forum.

Sean Juan
01-22-2008, 09:44 PM
I was a tad bit disappointed in the "stuff" portion of the show...at one point I actually wanted to buy a rod and couldn't and the reel I was mildly interested in and would probably have bought compulsively had it been at all on sale wasn't. Also a lot of the stuff is just stuff, seen it before.

The people however was another story. Its always a pleasure to be able to inter-act with the learned. One High-light of the show was seeing the Alan Caolo slide show and there are a few picks of Dble Haul "Hey I know that guy he's sitting next to me."

Running into Warren, Fishhawk, Fred, Vtloon was great and as always a pleasure - when the hell we going fishin' the trout are biting...

Learned a lot too which is the reason I go every year, saw a few patterns to add to my repertoire, but the most I learned this year was from Capt Ray who taught me an awful lot about how to target big fish and minimize my reliance on simple time and luck.

More importantly he explained that spelling "real" as "reel" can lead to several delicious puns. Like "Reel Cold" see its snowing and its a picture of a reel but it should be spelt R-E-A-L...get it?

RayStachelek
01-23-2008, 10:30 AM
More importantly he explained that spelling "real" as "reel" can lead to several delicious puns. Like "Reel Cold" see its snowing and its a picture of a reel but it should be spelt R-E-A-L...get it?

Right now Sean, I laughing my but off! Great way to start the morning on my
60th birthday. Needed that very much.

As in life, events can be bitter sweet. Just found out my wife needs eye surgery for a detached retina.

Thanks for the laugh.

Dble Haul
01-23-2008, 11:02 AM
Happy birthday Ray, and best of luck to your wife.

Sean Juan
01-23-2008, 11:42 AM
Hey happy birthday...

Sorry to hear about your wife hope they can fix her right up.

striblue
01-23-2008, 11:54 AM
Happy B-day Ray...and good luck with your wife's medical procedure.

vtloon
01-23-2008, 02:13 PM
Happy Birthday, Ray............didn't know you were such a young pup. Good luck to your wife.
Todd

FishHawk
01-24-2008, 06:22 AM
Happy Birthday Ray and good luck on your wife's surgery. FishHawk

Adrian
01-24-2008, 09:51 PM
Just spotted this one - Many Happy Return's Cap'n Ray and best wished to Elise on her eye surgery.