Spey / No Spey ??? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Spey / No Spey ???

QuebecSporting
01-11-2008, 01:02 PM
Hello,
A quick question.

Is it possible to catch a fish with a Spey rod in these conditions??

http://www.quebecsporting.com/Photos/IMG_2262.JPG

fly? :rolleyes:

Ok Ok!!! I have Cabin Fever,

Talk to me!!:frown:

Ann

wrke
01-11-2008, 03:42 PM
Absolutely. And under these sunny conditions, I even know the fly . . . :lildevl:
But it might be just a little easier with a single-hander.

Salar-1
01-12-2008, 03:24 PM
Hi Ann
Sure, try a two hander .Fly'll be a Dirty Bomber and try the lats of the pack near the rock and work upstream to the" jumper/active" fish which MIGHT NOT be the taker :-)
Cheers

chrismeyer
01-13-2008, 04:44 AM
hallo Ann,

i think it's much easyer to handle the dryfly with a single hander.
Green Bomber is my Choice.

chris
(september comes)

juro
01-13-2008, 08:31 AM
Depending on the skill level of the caster, absolutely.

But the Spey angler would stand upcurrent at an angle and use current tension to impart action on the fly through this mob of salmon. A small dark wet swung just under the surface on a long leader or a waker scalloped across their periscopic vision cone for instance. When the line is drifting away from you as in pulled down current the Spey wins.

Another approach is to stand nearly perpendicular to the fish and allow the current to drag the dry at a slightly faster speed than the current over the fish in a downriver direction.

But in an up-current dry-fly approach as this angler is apparently engaged in the presentation calls for a shorter rod, thus the single hander prevails. When one stands downriver and casts upcurrent to the fish the line drifts at you (not away from you). When the line is coming at you the longer rod encumbers the hook set, and as I know Quebec anglers often go as far as dragging the dry directly downriver over the fish to speed it up and the fish are sometimes right in front of them thus the single-hander is more suitable in that case.

I would try both :lildevl:

Green Ghost
01-25-2008, 05:11 PM
Happy New Year!

Anyway you try this in glassy water the key is not to slash the water surface and cause casting waves and line shadows. You must be able to deliver and retrieve delicately for a decent presentation on the glassy water. Picking up erratically or twice for example, would certainly promote lining waves in the glass. I'd prefer to wait for a breeze, a ripple, a wake, or a cruising target! If none of these things happened, and I couldn't wait any longer, a 9 ft 9 wt with a 12 foot 8lb flourocarbon tippet and a small dry fly! I reserve the right to protect the pattern of the fly.:chuckle:

In any case, It is difficult in glass.