Custom rod [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Custom rod

teflon_jones
01-11-2008, 01:33 PM
Hey,
I'm looking for a second saltwater rod and have narrowed my choice down to a G Loomis rods. I'd like to get the GLX but it's a bit pricey, but I've found some custom rod builders that will make one for $100 less than the factory rod with the GLX blank. What is everybody's thoughts on this?

I'm mainly looking for the action of the blank but the other aesthetics would help tool...

Warren
01-11-2008, 04:18 PM
A custom rod is always better. You can change guide sizes, get that look you want, make the grip fit your hand better etc... Go over to the rod building forum and have a look around at the rod showcase. Some of those guys build some nice sticks. You can even see some of mine:D I'll PM you the link.

You can even make your own, it does not take a lot of equipment to do a good job. But if you feel intimidated by the process, work with a local builder. It will be a better rod.

Smcdermott
01-11-2008, 04:31 PM
Personally with GLoomis I don't think its much of a deal. One of the best things about their rods is the Expeditor service. For $50 they will send you a brand new stick no questions asked and you just stick the old rod in the tube and ship it back. For $65 they will 2-day air it. With the custom stick you would need to go back to the guy who wrapped it to warranty anything but the blank. Could work out but may cost you time on the water/money in the long run especially if you don't have backup gear. They also don't have serial numbers or warranty cards so used is just about as good as new in that regard. Might be able to save your $100that way. The CC GLX is one of my favorite stix for small hardtails.

Sean

Frogfish
01-24-2008, 04:58 PM
Custom rods IMO are much better than factory built rods. There are several manufacturers that disregard the spline of the blank when manufacturing rods, and such. Plus, most rod builders should and will give you the manufacturer's warranty on the rod. IMO, it's a no-brainer. :)