Hoping for a good spring [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Hoping for a good spring

juro
01-11-2008, 08:50 AM
I've got the PNW Spey steelhead jones bad this year. April looks good, hope it's a good year. I suppose it will be a good time regardless but I'd really like to come home with a few pictures of that elusive vision of perfection that is a chrome bright native steelhead.

juro
01-11-2008, 10:09 AM
If anyone is planning to head out to the PNW, read up on the current situation / closures of the Cascade systems for 2008 spring.

http://speypages.com/speyclave/showthread.php?t=27941

:frown:

Jim Miller
01-11-2008, 10:42 AM
Juro
I'm not very informed about the current NW steelhead fishery & it's politics. But it seems a sin that such beautiful rivers and environment could soon be devoid of native steelhead & salmon. I've read Trey Comb's book "Steelhead flyfishing" and the history he presents is so wonderful, it is hard to believe it is on the brink of being lost.
Any good (unbiased) information out there on the situation? Thanks

sean
01-11-2008, 01:08 PM
Get Dec Hogans news steelhead book. A good section in there about the problems faced for wild steelhead.

And of course:

http://www.wildsteelheadcoalition.org/

presents the case very well backed by good science.

-sean

Doublespey
01-17-2008, 11:59 AM
Turns out this closure is not official - they may still close it, but the current status is that it will be open for the C&R season thru April.

Looks like we'll have to wait another month or so for another WDFW ruling.

:Eyecrazy:

juro
01-19-2008, 06:23 AM
Thanks bro - keep me posted.

Moonlight
03-28-2008, 03:15 PM
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news bt not on is Sauk Skagit to close the Hoh will now also close early.This will leave the uillayute Tibs opn all by there lonesome. Should be crowded at best!

juro
03-29-2008, 07:35 AM
The important thing is that the native runs are protected and have a chance to succeed in their mission, which is getting more and more critical it seems.

Thanks for filling me in.

Giant tarpon are finning northward toward the Keys in healthy numbers so I will plan to entertain myself with a different kind of silver this year.

FLGator
03-29-2008, 02:14 PM
"The important thing is that the native runs are protected and have a chance to succeed in their mission, which is getting more and more critical it seems."

Wish the WDFW believed the same thing.

Hoh hasn't made escapement goals in years, yet wild fish are allowed to be killed on this river.