Need some help planning a trip [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Need some help planning a trip

teflon_jones
01-07-2008, 02:19 PM
Every year I go on a 4-5 day trip with a couple of college buddies to do some serious fishing. I'm the guy who decides where to go and when, and sets up food, lodging, beverages, driving route, basically everything. They just have to show up and have a good time and give me $$$ before they leave. The last few years it's been a trip to Maine for trout, salmon, and smallies, but this year I think it's going to be a trip for stripers in honor of my new kayak (and all that other gear I bought).

We normally go in the first week of June since that's prime trout time, and I think that's prime striper time too so I'll probably stick to that. What I don't know is where to stay. I'd like to camp somewhere out on the Cape that's not far from Chatham/Monomoy. Any suggestions? One main goal of the trip is to spend as few dollars as possible, so don't bother suggesting anything that will cost more than $50/day/person.

Paxton
01-07-2008, 02:47 PM
The closer to Chatham the more $. Best bet is either Stone Horse in Harwich or Holiday Hill Motor Lodge in Dennisport / Dennisport Motel(about 18 minutes ride)...anything cheaper you will have to head further away. Both of the above should be in the 50 to mid 50 range that time of year.
Ron

Adrian
01-07-2008, 02:49 PM
Nickerson State Park gets very good reviews and is right on "the elbow" for easy access to Outer Beaches, Monomoy and Bayside.

PopnesetBay
01-07-2008, 06:24 PM
Second Adrian's comments. Everything that I have seen, on this site and others, has been very complimentary about Nickerson for camping....tent type and other. What I have seen is that reservations fill up rather quickly so you might want to get to their site and see what is available, if that is the type of "camping" you are talking about. Sounds like fun!!!!

Warren
01-07-2008, 06:45 PM
I just had a look at the Nickerson web site. they will not be opening until June 13 due to construction and improvements in the electrical & water system. and only a portion of the camping sites will be open with the rest following in July. If you want a spot there to pitch you tent you better call today:Eyecrazy:

teflon_jones
01-07-2008, 09:25 PM
Thanks everybody. Based on what the MA website said, I doubt Nickerson has anything left to book! They said if you call on Dec 13 2007 when they open to take reservations you better have options ready, so I'm betting by now there's nothing left. I'm going to check out one of the private campgrounds in the area. Anybody ever stay at any of these or heard anything about them?

vtloon
01-08-2008, 09:25 AM
We camped at Sweetwater Forest and liked it. 7 minutes to Paines Creek.

Mike Oliver
01-08-2008, 09:57 AM
Teflon,

If you are going first week in june you are outside of the expensive Tourist season. When you said $50 a day per person is that including food as well as accomodation?

I have seen 4 bed houses for rent at around $1200 for a month! That means 4 of you are still inside of your $50 a day budget if you did not include food as well. So you rent a place for a month and only use for 7 days. It's a great deal. I just googled up houses to rent on CC. Beats a wet soggy tent anyday of the week. My small British Expediitionary force of 5 will be in Cotuit at the same time. You can't miss us. We talk funny and are not very tall. See you in Squires one night.
Mike

Dave17
01-08-2008, 12:51 PM
You guys should make plans to have this coincide with the Spring Clave. I think we're shooting for the weekend before Memorial Day.

I'm guessing I don't need to sell you on the Clave, you've seen the posts. I think rooms at the Horse are usually around $60 for double occupancy so you're only looking at $30 a guy per night. The only other expenses are $10 for the main dinner and bar tabs at The Squire (That can get a little ugly but only if you want them to :lildevl: ).

juro
01-08-2008, 01:15 PM
Dave -

Bone up on the blues chops buddy, we are playin the Squire Sat night (or going elsewhere) :smokin:

http://chathamsquire.com/images/band_schedule.gif

titleguy
01-09-2008, 07:39 AM
Juro- tell me it ain't so- playin' The Squire? Excellent. The brothers will be up dancing with you.:Eyecrazy:

juro
01-09-2008, 09:26 AM
Thats the plan... putting a demo CD together.

Bass player is also a flyfisher and you can meet him at the shows at the iFly rod holder booth. Stop by, say hi and tell him we are 'rockin the squiyah!' :lildevl:

If they won't take us we'll move the horde of paying customers to another venue that will!

titleguy
01-09-2008, 09:35 AM
Schweeet. Sounds like a time.:biggrin:

Name of that Band Contest? "Juro and the Deep Eels"

Mike Oliver
01-09-2008, 01:57 PM
Don't let Binksey and Rupert in. Unless totally out of your heads on the Black stuff is OK

Dave17
01-09-2008, 09:36 PM
Already getting fired up for the events! Don't know if we can out do last year but Ill give it my best shot:lildevl: :smokin:

teflon_jones
01-10-2008, 11:12 AM
You guys should make plans to have this coincide with the Spring Clave. I think we're shooting for the weekend before Memorial Day.

I'm guessing I don't need to sell you on the Clave, you've seen the posts. I think rooms at the Horse are usually around $60 for double occupancy so you're only looking at $30 a guy per night. The only other expenses are $10 for the main dinner and bar tabs at The Squire (That can get a little ugly but only if you want them to :lildevl: ).
No no no Dave! Those are evil thoughts! I need to plan this trip for far enough apart from the Clave so that my wife doesn't suggest I combine them. Otherwise I'll lose out on a great excuse to head out to the Cape for some fishing! :smokin:

I've tried to get to the Clave for a couple of years now but other priorities have interfered (wedding last year and something??? year before that). I've already told my wife about the Clave again and I think it's a go. After all, she let me get a kayak this year! I'll only be there for a day though, no overnight.

FishHawk
01-10-2008, 02:42 PM
The old FishHawk can dance with the young chicks. I'm looking forward to the action. FishHawk:lildevl:

juro
01-10-2008, 04:37 PM
Thats not a young chick! That's Binksey... you'd better get some prescription flats shades Fishhawk!

:lildevl: :lildevl: :devil:

teflon_jones
01-10-2008, 07:53 PM
Well guys, I got the ok for the Clave this year! I'll only be there for Saturday, but I'm really looking forward to it.

Mike Oliver
01-11-2008, 12:38 PM
Teflon, You only been married a year and already the wife's thrown away the key. Oh how my heart bleeds for you. What is it with you Guys and your wives. American wives seem to have more power even than their Uk counterparts. Next step yu will be issued with fishing passouts. It's a slippery slope to doom

Mike

teflon_jones
01-11-2008, 02:16 PM
No, I've been married more than a year Mike. ;) But your heart should still bleed for me! The wedding last year was somebody else's. I've been married 3 years and have 2 kids already. That's the main source of contention with me going on trips like this. If I go, it means she has a 2 year old and a baby at home alone while I'm off having a good old time. But I got the pass for the Clave, and for 4 days with the boys having a grand old time only a few weeks after that!

Warren
01-11-2008, 03:27 PM
What is it with you Guys and your wives. American wives seem to have more power even than their Uk counterparts.

Mike I just called my wife at work & asked her if that was true? She said, "Of course it is, now get off the phone & finish the laundry":D :hihi: .........NOT!

Mike Oliver
01-11-2008, 04:08 PM
Warren you Guys crack me up. Heh Teflon sorry for my mistake 2 kids married three years only and you get a 4 day pass out. You is de Man my friend.

Mike

teflon_jones
01-12-2008, 01:12 AM
Heh Teflon sorry for my mistake 2 kids married three years only and you get a 4 day pass out. You is de Man my friend.

MikeApology not accepted unless accompanied by a drink of some sort. A good lager or whiskey should do it. Hope to run into you when I'm out there in June. If not, best of luck to all of you.

Mike Oliver
01-12-2008, 06:52 AM
Teflon. You have to know that there is no such thing as a good Lager. So single malt it is then. Maybe June.
Mike

flydoc
01-12-2008, 07:31 AM
Teflon. You have to know that there is no such thing as a good Lager. So single malt it is then. Maybe June.
Mike
Mike- you obviously have yet to try a Sam Adams Black Lager, my newest addiction...I'll treat you to a couple when you get here.
Flydoc

Mike Oliver
01-12-2008, 10:40 AM
Flydoc

Thanks. Actually I told a bit of a porkie. I forgot I drank a few bottles of Sam Adams Boston Lager in Montauk and they are darned good. But the washing up water larger we mostly get served over here is the norm. Sadly the young Guys thinks it's the dogs do dars.
Just booking flight and cars this weekend and am in communication with the house owners. Cost for flights and cars booked as a merged deal have risen by over $160 per person based on two sharing a 4x4 Trail Blazer thingy over 2007. Must be this $100 a barrel that's pushing up air fares. For a return ticket from Heathrow to Boston with American Airlines and 15 days car rental 4x4 Trail Blazer the cost is now in dollars $1484 per person sharing the car. I wonder what you Guys would pay if you were doping this in reverse and coming to Heathrow. I reckon we pay more for th same thing. What says you.

Mike

flydoc
01-13-2008, 08:59 PM
Mike- cheapest roundtrip airfare I could find in June with non-stop departing and returning legs (Boston to London, then back) was on Virgin for $1077. Cheaper flights (in the mid to high $900 range) for trips with stopovers (ie Iceland Air with stopovers in Iceland each way). Didn't check on the rental, as I figured you've already got those numbers.
At least the pound has been pretty strong lately in comparison to the dollar.
Flydoc

Mike Oliver
01-14-2008, 07:06 AM
Flydoc,

Thanks for the info. Based on that we are paying approx $400 for 7.5 days 4x4 car hire. Actually getting total cost quiotes from the Uk for USA based car hire compabnies is a ightymare they never want to quote you the real cost like CDW ect. It's only when you turn up at the desk you find the real cost is way more. It drives you nuts. So is $400 a week about right for a Trail Blazer Alamo Gold. Full tank Any driver and LDW and CDW.

When you buy a combined Flight and car the travel agent cannot for some reason that I don't understand tell you the cost of each part. You just get a total.

Interesting that you don't save that much for indirect flights. They can be great fun as you arrive in the USA whilst your rods and bags get a free ride all over the world turning up as you are about to leave.
Appreciate the info. We may not have too bad a deal.

Regards

Mike

dudley
01-14-2008, 01:13 PM
Hi folks... I'm newly registered, but I've been a lurker here for years :tsk_tsk:
I tried to respond to Teflon's original question a week ago but apparently there's a waiting period to register....so better late than never.
At the time of his original post I had just made my reservations at Nickerson for camping that first week they are open in June....I even got the very site I wanted.
I just now looked at the reservations web site and the are still plenty of campsites open for that first weekend and a good number for the full week.
My buddy and I have spent the first week of June at Nickerson for most of the last 12 or 13 years.
We'll be a little late this season but it's still worth it...Full moon instead of the new moon
Over the years we've checked out a bunch of other options and stayed at a couple. Nickerson's is the best deal going. It was $111.25 for 6 nights.
As for motel/cabins in the area the best deal I've found was at the place across from the intersection of Rt 28 and Rt 39 on Quanset Rd in S.Orleans... Sorry the name escapes me but it's worth looking at if you're looking for cheap.

We'll it's nice to finally come out of the lurker closet. ;)
I'll try to contribute when I can

highway61
01-14-2008, 02:23 PM
Hey Scott,

I don't know if you're already set for a place to stay for your up coming trip. If not, you might want to check out the Cove Bluffs Motel in Eastham (about 15 minute drive to Chatham and 5 minutes from the National Seashore beaches) I have stayed there many times over the years. It's offseason rates are very affordable. The units are clean and most come with kitchenette. Their cheapest rate is $50/night double occupancy.

[URL="http://www.capecod-orleans.com/covebluffs"]

508) 240-1616

Good Luck

Steve M.

teflon_jones
01-14-2008, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the additional suggestions dudley and Steve. I haven't booked anything yet so I'll run them by my buddies.

Angelo
01-19-2008, 03:07 PM
Might want to check out Ridgewood Motel & Cottages. Rt. 28 & 39, South Orleans. Very good location. They have both motel and small cottages tucked away from the road (28).

I have rented the small cottage all the way at the end of the trail. It's secluded, has an outdoor BBQ available, plenty of space to park, stage kayaks, gear, etc.. Clothes lines between wooded trees to dry waders, clothes, and gear. Free freshwater hose mid-way down the cottage trail with a wood deck to wash all the salt off of everything. Very well shaded area in front of the cottages.

Office is usually always staffed, as they live on site. Very inexpensive for what you get - a small house with full kitchen. I really like the unit two from the end, as it has nicer furnishings, but all of the space outside at the end unit more than makes up for older furnishings, especially if you have a truck or several vehicles. Nice big picnic table outside for rigging and eating.