02Jan87...a noteworthy event... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: 02Jan87...a noteworthy event...

Penguin
01-02-2008, 12:01 PM
and still evolving... :Eyecrazy:
Any guesses? :confused:

FredA
01-02-2008, 12:31 PM
Nauset beach is breached out in front of chatham light.

Penguin
01-02-2008, 12:49 PM
Fred knows ALOTA'STUFF!!!

titleguy
01-02-2008, 12:56 PM
Funny you should bring that day up. I was goose hunting in Stage Harbor in a twevel foot aluminum boat w/ a 4 hp engine- we launched on Stage Island and were swamped by the the time we hit the fish pier. Bailed out the boat and had some good shooting out of the old pits on Hardings. If you're gonna be stupid, you have to be tough.:eek:

FredA
01-02-2008, 01:02 PM
Quiz question #2:

What event and what chatham topology changes occurred Feb 6 & 7, 1978?

Hint: my daughter was still sleeping in a crib

polareyez
01-02-2008, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the "penguin eye" view updates...The way it's going, you'll be busy all winter updating the rest of us....I wonder where the sand is going to end up?

jimS
01-02-2008, 02:07 PM
Monomoy split.

Penguin
01-02-2008, 02:47 PM
Cease and Desist Order and... :razz:
Monomoy officially graduated to "ISLAND" status and... :Eyecrazy:
a very young pre-Capt Keith started his plan for an "Empire"! :razz:

And...
The Penguin was living somewhere in North Yemen collecting tidbits of "information" while dodging bullets and instigating tribal unrest in between bouts of food poisoning...
Those were the DAZE!? :eek:

FredA
01-02-2008, 02:59 PM
Again...What event and what chatham topology changes occurred Feb 6 & 7, 1978?

Jim could be right but not precise enough.

Pete's event occurred 20 years earliar I believe (Kieth was just a twinkle in the admirals eye).

Penguin
01-02-2008, 03:10 PM
The "Crib" ?! :confused:

juro
01-02-2008, 03:19 PM
The Squiah founded? :lildevl:

striblue
01-02-2008, 03:24 PM
The north and South monomy split????

Penguin
01-02-2008, 04:43 PM
http://lighthouse.cc/monomoy/history.html

Guernseybass
01-02-2008, 08:04 PM
could we be the new tribe of Monomiyck then ? :hihi:

teflon_jones
01-02-2008, 08:33 PM
The Penguin was living somewhere in North Yemen collecting tidbits of "information" while dodging bullets and instigating tribal unrest in between bouts of food poisoning...
Those were the DAZE!? :eek:Is that really what you were doing back then? And is that you in the photo or just a random picture you pulled up?

It's funny if you were, my dad was instigating tribal unrest a little closer to home around the same time. He never really says as much but he was in some interesting places back in the 60s and 70s with no good explanation for what he was doing there. And then there's the pictures I found tucked away in a box in the basement of him fishing with the former director of the CIA. Hmmm...

Rip Ryder
01-02-2008, 09:08 PM
The young Capt. was 7 waiting 10 more days to turn the ever so old 8. Those days I was so busy working on my calculations and triangulations for my up coming Navigation. If I only new back then, what that Slugo in my pocket was really for, I probably would have worked a little harder on my presentation skills.:hihi:

Fred I am going with the Blizard of 78 and the break of Monomoy Island into North and South Islands.

Capt.

striblue
01-02-2008, 09:54 PM
I am sure Pete can verify that...In fact Pete has good advice on how you walk the Streets of Yemen... to avoid stuff on the ground:hihi: :smokin:

Penguin
01-02-2008, 10:42 PM
Scott...
That was me with several local "associates"...here's a closer look... :eek:
We're standing in front of the Queen of Sheba's Sun Temple (see vertical pillars in the background) on the outskirts of the ancient city of Mahrib...
I've got my Orviski AK-47 weight...
What was I thinking?! :confused:

rooster
01-04-2008, 09:12 AM
Pedro,
Visiting the folks in NYS and logged on this am.
I am still confused (not hard to do), where is the split located and how wide is it?
Hope all is well in frosty New England. NYS is a bit chillier than NC. Dad is doing better.
Cheers to all.
DK:eek:

Penguin
01-04-2008, 09:50 AM
To the most casual observer...
The new cut into Pleasant Bay...
Standing in the parking area at Ministers'...
Look about 25 degrees to the right...
Probably 250+ yards wide...
NOT getting any smaller...
Still an outer sand bar and shoaling to make navigation a challenge...

Glad your dad is doing better!
Merry and Happy Holidaze!
Back to reality...
See you soon...better bring a sweater! :whoa:

juro
01-04-2008, 10:05 AM
To those in the know (miss you Harry)

Honey Hole on steroids.

Penguin
01-04-2008, 11:31 AM
Today in Cape history: Engineer unveils plan to divert Gulf Stream and warm East Coast
01/04/08 · 12:43 am posted by Jack Coleman [ Permalink ] [ Email to a Friend ]
Cape Cod would become winter vacatiion destination

On this day in 1888, as reported in The Indiana Progress newspaper in a story under the headline, "Wave Power - A Novel Method of Utilizing the Ocean's Strength - A Mighty Engine Moved by the Undulations of the Sea" -

"Mr. John C. Goodridge, Jr., a well-known engineer, propounds, in the Scientific American, a curious plan for changing the temperature of the Atlantic states by giving us more of the benefits of the Gulf Stream. He assumes that the reason we do not get the benefit of it now is that we have between us and it a polar current, coming down along the coast of Labrador, through the Straits of Belle Isle, and forming the cold western wall of the Gulf Stream.

The existence of this current is well established, and in fact is one of the facts on which the official sailing directions both in this country and England are based. What Mr. Goodridge proposes is, that it should be stopped in the straits of Belle Isle by a dam at a point where it is about ten miles wide and 150 feet deep. The dam, he says, could be built with the adjacent rocks, and the cost would not exceed $40,000,000.

The effect of this would be, he calculates, to change the temperature of the coast from Cape Hatteras to Newfoundland. Nova Scotia would have a climate as mild as Cape May, and Block Island and Cape Cod would become winter watering places.

Moreover, the St. Lawrence would be open to navigation throughout the year; Mr. Goodridge also thinks, though not with much positiveness, that the deflection of the Arctic current might turn the Gulf Stream further southward, and thus cut off enough heat from the British isles to give them the climate of Labrador. But then the Gulf Stream hasn't much to do with the temperature of England, which is due to the influence of other equatorial currents."

(illustration credit, www.keyshistory.org)

Who woulda'thunk?!
I'd like to see that "Environmental Impact Study"!

Sean Juan
01-04-2008, 03:06 PM
The Ocean rules.

jimS
01-04-2008, 08:36 PM
Wow, its an epithany. I didn't know that the Corp Of Engineers began in that circa building dams and generally screwing up the ecological equilibrum that prevailed. Amazing.

Penguin
01-05-2008, 11:02 AM
An interesting and ongoing work in progress...
http://www.capecodchronicle.com/chatnews/chat010308_1.htm

Guernseybass
01-16-2008, 10:30 AM
to the new break in the Noreaster on Monday. this is the 4th house from the break and the last one standing :

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2008/01/16/fighting_against_the_tide/

http://cache.boston.com/resize/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2008/01/15/1200455399_9847/539w.jpg

There was sand dunes above his head on Sunday, I wonder where all that sand ended up ?

Mark.

Stevo
01-17-2008, 05:05 PM
I suppose it was always inevitable but over the last three years, there seems to be an accelerated problem with the Cape and its shifting sands.

Guernseybass
01-18-2008, 07:28 AM
i read yesterday, that a local expert thinks the lighthouse inlet is now beyond saving and will close in the next noreaster or two.

which means the new break will be walkable from lighthouse beach.

Penguin
01-21-2008, 06:57 PM
http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080105/NEWS/801050329/-1/MARKET

Guernseybass
02-09-2008, 12:17 PM
a report on cape cod online says the Lighthouse inlet is currently now only 3ft deep at low tide and the Town will be dredging it in June.

shame.:chuckle:

juro
02-09-2008, 04:09 PM
Time for environmentalists to get involved and save all that potential new bird habitat! :lildevl:

Why dont' they dredge the gap to the tub instead :devil:

Guernseybass
02-19-2008, 02:51 PM
posted twice. oops.

Guernseybass
02-19-2008, 02:53 PM
it seems the tip of the new north beach island (south side of the new break) is heading towards ministers point :

Higher tides last week caused erosion to resume on the southern tip of the beach after a several-day hiatus. During the single high tide that preceded the demolition of Backlash, Stello said the point receded 20 feet. Meanwhile, the “dogleg” of sand running west from the northern tip of North Beach Island appears to be growing. Coastal Resources Director Ted Keon said that if the dogleg is growing westward, it would not be surprising.

During the 1987 break, the southern tip of North Beach actively eroded shortly after the inlet formed, while the island to the south stayed largely the same and began to roll in toward the mainland, “and ultimately, as we all know, came ashore. This is showing the same trends,” Keon said. But Keon said it is too soon to sound the alarm that the new North Beach Island is poised to connect to Minister’s Point, since a large volume of water from Chatham Harbor continues to cross the area with each tide cycle.

“The old inlet is still very active and very involved in the flow into Pleasant Bay,” Keon said. But it appears that almost all of the tidal flow through the new inlet is now feeding Pleasant Bay, not the harbor, he said. Keon said he has consulted with coastal geologist Dr. Graham Giese, who holds the same opinion.

now that would be interesting :smokin:

GB

Penguin
02-21-2008, 02:12 PM
TOMBOLO...looking north...
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa176/Phracas/NorthBeachAppendage.jpg

Slinger
02-21-2008, 02:39 PM
Pete, remember what we talked about at the show! Another Bathtub with a new southway in front of Chatham Light.
Slinger

jimS
02-21-2008, 05:09 PM
If that dogleg does connect with the mainland at Minister's Point, we'll have an eerily delightful new fishery.

Seems that with the shoaling continuing in fron of the light, dredging will be a monthly occurrence. I agree with Juro, just dredge an opening into the tub. Good idea, but guess no one really wants to go around the tip of Monomoy to go outside.

Sean Juan
02-21-2008, 10:19 PM
I think the "Dogleg" connecting with Ministers is a ways off...but I wouldn't be surprised to see it connect with the "islands" a bit to the south especially given the flats around them.

I think a break at the lighthouse is fairly unlikely (though stranger things have happened) but I suspect that the amount of sand migrating to the South Beach/Monomoy system will be dramatically reduced and a break somewhere along that length is probable.

What I'm more interested in is how this will effect the seal population. With the shoaling their effective Pleasant Bay habitat is most likely greatly reduced. Will this spread them to other areas, or will they be in the smaller area but in greater densities. When I die I promise to return as a Killer Whale and use my fluke to flip seal carcasses at multi-million dollar homes.

Take that you rat bastard insurance companies...

Guernseybass
02-22-2008, 09:11 AM
:chuckle:

I am wishing for the dog leg to hit ministers point, so we can walk out to the new break, and then the newly formed chatham cove to scour out its southern side on the outgoing tide causing a break at the tub, and finally a deepening of the guzzle so south beach has an 'in' and an 'out' of fresh water . . . :hihi:

looking at the recent pics, that seems to be a nice flat for sight fishing developing south of the dog leg on the 'inside' if it doesn't attach, which will get freshed on each tide :cool:

highway61
02-22-2008, 09:49 AM
What I'm more interested in is how this will effect the seal population. With the shoaling their effective Pleasant Bay habitat is most likely greatly reduced. Will this spread them to other areas, or will they be in the smaller area but in greater densities. When I die I promise to return as a Killer Whale and use my fluke to flip seal carcasses at multi-million dollar homes.

Take that you rat bastard insurance companies...

I second the motion. I don't fish the outer beaches from South beach all the way up to Coast Guard as much as I used to because of the seals. For many years it was my favorite place to fish. Throughout the 90's I was rarely skunked. The last few years have been very different. Just last summer my son-in-law had a wild kingdom moment. He was reeling in a bluefish through the surf when a seal on the crest of a wave grabbed hold of it, pulling the rod out my shocked son-in-laws hands. We managed to save his tackle, but the seal was giving us "the flipper" as he made short work of his catch. :whoa: