What did Santa bring you? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: What did Santa bring you?

teflon_jones
12-26-2007, 10:01 AM
So were you on the nice list or the naughty list this year? What did Santa bring you?

I must have been on the naughty list. I didn't get anything fishing related! But I did get a drill press for my wood shop, which I really wanted. And a GPS from the in-laws. I guess that could be considered fishing related...

FredA
12-26-2007, 12:24 PM
Fishin related...

Bears den $200 gift card from my son

LLBean wading jacket and 15 yr old single malt (springbank) from my daughter and son-in-law to bring out the child in me.

Fishing The Cape gift cert from cousin/Godfather

Non fishin related...

Socks from my wife (I got her cookie sheets and a snow shovel)

Warren
12-26-2007, 12:51 PM
A Cabelas gift card. WhoooHooooo!

jfbasser
12-26-2007, 01:04 PM
Bass Pro Shops Gift Card....going to spend it all on Red Suffix Braid for my surf / canal spinning outfits :devil:

PopnesetBay
12-26-2007, 01:29 PM
Got a fly tying bench from Daughter and Son-in-Law, "Saltwater Flies of the Northeast" from my son, Bass Pro Shop Gift Certificate from Wife and another from Daughter. Made out pretty well, all things considered!

Sean Juan
12-26-2007, 04:08 PM
My Golden Retreiver brought me a possum yesterday...

She was just happily carrying it around the yard like she does her stuffed animal toy. The Possum was non the worse for wear, just waited till she went back inside and shook himself awake and went about his business.

NewFlyFisher
12-26-2007, 04:50 PM
Well - did great (as it appears several others did too) - but a long wait till spring to use some of it.

I got a 4 piece TFO Signature Series rod (9' - 5 wt). which according to the supplier in Canada these in 4 piece are made from the same blanks as Professional Series with some improvements in guides. It is fitted the rod with the Pflueger Summit reel and a Rio Select Trout line.

I also started my Fly Tying adventures by ordering a Danvise which is still caught in the holiday mail.

Under the tree was a couple issues of FlyFusion (seems a good magazine where the writing still outdoes the ads), a fly fishing calendar, and for those days when I am on the lakes an Eagle Cuda 168 depth/fish finder.

Considering myself lucky. Here's to an early spring!

teflon_jones
12-26-2007, 11:03 PM
I forgot one important thing! My father-in-law got a pontoon boat from his wife, and me being his one and only fishing partner, I guess that means I got one too! It came complete with an electric trolling motor, leaning bar, pedestal seats, and just about every option he could want. Guess who was responsible for helping his wife pick out everything he needed? :cool:

I also started my Fly Tying adventures by ordering a Danvise which is still caught in the holiday mail.I got one of those from my wife last Christmas. You'll be very happy with it.

striblue
12-27-2007, 10:06 AM
"Socks from my wife (I got her cookie sheets and a snow shovel)"

Fred, Too Much!!!!:chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: Fred, you are THE true romantic.

juro
12-27-2007, 10:59 AM
Well Fred -

I am breathing a sigh of relief in reading about socks and shovels, because I was feeling a little introspective after your recent quote...

life long pursuits that require persistance and nurturing

because it made me realize that nurturing and persistence are two-way streets and only as meaningful as the way they are received, not solely a function of the giver.

Clearly you are in a very good relationship, God bless you both!

FredA
12-27-2007, 11:35 AM
Juro, go fishing, your thinking too much.:D

teflon_jones
12-27-2007, 02:13 PM
Seriously Juro, next thing you know you're going to be quoting Shakespeare...

n1gdo
12-27-2007, 03:50 PM
Here is a starter for you Juro...

A tarpon, A tarpon, my kingdom for a tarpon !

or

Bonefish, Bonefish wherefore art thou Bonefish ?

Sean Juan
12-27-2007, 03:53 PM
Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:
O no! it is an ever-fixed mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wandering bark,
Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.
Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
Within his bending sickle's compass come:
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
If this be error and upon me proved,
I never writ, nor no man ever loved.

Adrian
12-27-2007, 04:23 PM
I got a Garmin street finder so now I can find my way into (and probably, more importantly, out of) the many UDL's both near and far.

Now, no more missing that critical sidestreet/junction on the darkest of nights, only to arrive too late to catch the best of the tide. :D

Quentin
12-27-2007, 10:07 PM
I got a Garmin GPSMap handheld :D . I'll probably get the city streets and the inland lakes software to help with trips to new places. It will also be handy to have if I'm on the flats and the fog rolls in. Only happened to me once and it was on a dropping tide but it was still pretty freaky.

Q

Penguin
12-27-2007, 10:28 PM
From the Girlz...Lucy and Dingo... :biggrin:

juro
12-28-2007, 12:17 AM
Your quote not mine!

Shakespeare? Don't they make the Ugly Stik?

Oh yeah I got a lump of coal. :lildevl:

Dave17
12-28-2007, 01:08 AM
Santa was a very good girl to me this year!

She came through with a new 7 wt Sage Z axis and Abel Super 7:smokin:

striblue
12-28-2007, 09:36 AM
I got some winter reading -"The Somme", by Martin Gilbert, "The Match", By Mark Frost", "The Day of Battle" By Rick Atkinson ( about the war in Italy and the second in the victory triology after "An Army at Night " about North Africa), "Temples, Tombs and Hieroglyphics" by Barbara Mertz (History of Ancient Egypt) and "The Real History of the American Revolution" by Alan Axelrod.... and Finally an real authentic NFL football...my first authentic football.:)

petevicar
12-28-2007, 11:02 AM
Hey Penguin
Did you really get a Mako?
Wow. What is it like?
I have a couple on order that should be shipped soon.

Juro
In Scotland the lump of coal is used at Hogmanay. The dark haired stranger is supposed to bring a piece of coal and be rewarded with a wee dram. It's agreat way to get free drinks, assuming that one has dark hair.

From Santa I got 3 new frying pans and the honour of having to cook 2 very large dinner parties.

Penguin
12-28-2007, 11:35 AM
It doesn't get any better...unless, of course, you've drank the Danielsson cool aid...:razz:

gordonh
12-28-2007, 01:02 PM
I got a copy of "The Art of Surfcasting with LURES by Hromin for myself and one of my sons. Perhaps someone can provide the translator between the lures he mentions and various flies. My interest was that he seems to fully understand what he is doing.

Also got "A Nation of Counterfeiters" by Mihn. Interesting to me, but I also liked "Salt".

I noted that FredA didn't get any trolling gear, but I think he has all that he needs.

Gordon

FredA
12-28-2007, 03:40 PM
GH, 1:02PM...lunch is over. What are you doing on the net? You're not actually using your vacation time up, are you?

Perhaps someone can provide the translator between the lures he mentions and various flies.

JFBasser "knows all things", a bonafide expert. Let me know your translation needs and I'm sure I can get answers from him.

Penguins girlz know the way to a mans heart.

jfbasser
12-28-2007, 04:04 PM
I just read Zeno's book myself..great read ...offer up a few rough translations

Polaris Poppers: Crease flies or Bangers

Metal lipped Swimming Plugs: Big Deceivers

Jigs: big half & halfs

Plastic minnow baits: Sliders and bendbacks

Super Strike Little Neck Sinking Popper fished as a swimmer: Snake fly

Needlefish / Sluggos: Flatwings

Pencil Poppers: tough one

Colors...stick with the basics and don't be afraid to use white at night :biggrin:

and....for big fish Move it slow :-) and keep it simple and fish where the big uns live

teflon_jones
12-28-2007, 09:32 PM
From the Girlz...Lucy and Dingo... :biggrin:You need to dull that up a bit before you scare all the fish away!!! :cool:

I forgot about one present (well actually two) I got myself. It wasn't exactly for Christmas but I used the birth of my son as an excuse to pick up two fine bottles of single malt (Talisker and Cragganmore). I've always liked Talisker but this is the first time I've bought Cragganmore. It's delicious! :smokin:

Penguin
12-28-2007, 10:46 PM
The mean ones don't scare away...they get an attitude! ;)

Forgot...
A BIG sack of bituminous coal and...
The new book by Rich Murphy "Fly Fishing for Striped Bass" (Masters on the Fly series) ...
Excellent content and presentation in a very nice package!
Sorta' like Lou Tabory's "Inshore Fly Fishing" but on STEROIDS!

FishHawk
12-29-2007, 07:06 AM
I got Rich Murphy's book destined to be a classic on the Striped Bass a must read. . Also, Rio's Modern Spey casting.
Juro , get yourself to a warm island with a lot of young maidens and Tarpon rolling in the lagoons you'll soon forget about love and it's problems.:D
Pete , we'll have to see the Mako in action at the Spring Clave.
FishHawk

kyhnau
12-29-2007, 03:10 PM
Fishing relates:
- C&F flybox (the turquise Grand Slam one for bonefish flies)
- Simms sun gloves (swapped to Simms wet wading socks)
- Some misc. flies (swapped to Owner AKI 3/0 hooks for the Bahamian sharks :devil: )
- Water resident CASIO watch
- GERBER suspension tool
- Ultra compact sleeping bag (hope it'll be able to keep the mosquitos out if I end up sleeping on beach somewhere in Bahamas :rolleyes: )

During December I have further given myself a few new items for my upcoming journey 'round the Carribian:
BAUER M4SL
TFO TiCr 9' 10 wt 4-piece
RT 9' 7/8 wt 4-piece
Scientific Angler bonefish line
Scientific Angler tarpon line
Fishpond Waterdance Guide Pack
"The Bahamas Fly Fishing Guide"
12" notebook with a huge googleearth cache for offline explorings :chuckle:
75 litres Tatonka Back-pack

Best christmas ever :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

-Lars

flydoc
12-30-2007, 06:43 AM
Two months early- second Red Sox World Series Championship of the new millenium (I treated myself to an official Johnny Papelbon World Series jersey).

4 days late (but I'm not complaining!)- a perfect 16-0 season for the greatest football team of all time, complete with single season TD pass record for the greatest QB and single season TD reception record for the greatest WR:D

Flydoc

PopnesetBay
12-30-2007, 01:48 PM
Doc,

If you use two fingers, please do not flash the victory sign!!!! Now is it time for a Tony Bruschi shirt?

Pete R

highway61
12-30-2007, 02:34 PM
Santa was very good to me. To my great surprise (I kept hinting to the wifey) I found a Garmin GPS MAP 76CX. It should help me find my way back home :-)

John.......if you like military history then you will love John Keegan's The First World War ( Knopf, 1999). His other writings on military history are first rate. I have read a few by Martin Gilbert. I'll have to put the Somme on my list.

Steve M.

mcurtiss
01-15-2008, 07:58 PM
Orvis Safe Passage chest/waist combo pack
Leatherman Skeletool (on backorder, but its on the way!)

teflon_jones
01-16-2008, 03:35 PM
Orvis Safe Passage chest/waist combo pack
Leatherman Skeletool (on backorder, but its on the way!)Wow, Santa comes really late in your part of the world!!!

mcurtiss
01-17-2008, 08:33 PM
Wow, Santa comes really late in your part of the world!!!

a 15 month old running around the house has me about 3 weeks behind. :hihi:

teflon_jones
01-17-2008, 10:07 PM
a 15 month old running around the house has me about 3 weeks behind. :hihi:I have no sympathy for you. Or maybe a lot. I have a 25 and a 1 month old running around my house.

mcurtiss
01-18-2008, 06:55 AM
I have no sympathy for you. Or maybe a lot. I have a 25 and a 1 month old running around my house.
I fold! :biggrin: