sinking line selection [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: sinking line selection

nmbrowncom
12-26-2007, 09:18 AM
in a month i'm headed back to the amazon and i'm thinking about expanding my fly line arsenal to include some type of sinking line. i fish a very stiff 8' 9wt rod.
while i have used sinking lines of one kind or another for years in the salt, the conditions are quite different. in the amazon, the water moves quite slowly-almost stillwater actually. the bottom is often littered with hidden tree branches which are easily hung up on. the biggest fish are typically found in the deeper water in either the middle of the waterway (tributary) or where the waterways intersect. sometimes those spots can be as much as 20' deep-usually 10'-15' though. additionally, the fish like a fast retrieve.
i am concerned that the belly of a sink tip line will slow down and alter the retrieve. likewise, a full sinking line or a density compensated line may be more prone to getting hung up.
any thoughts or ideas are appreciated. neal

teflon_jones
12-26-2007, 09:56 AM
I'd look at the Scientific Anglers Streamer Express line. It is a sink tip, but the tip is 30 feet long as opposed to most sink tips meant for nymphing which only have ~15 foot sink tips. This leads to much less belly than the short sink tips, but you don't end up with the entire line underwater like you do with a full sinking line. Best of both worlds if you ask me. I've had one for years and I used it in similar water depths/conditions to fish for trout in kettle ponds and it does a great job.

p.s. Pictures are required when you get back :)

juro
12-27-2007, 10:08 AM
Another thing to ponder is the snagless fly design. As I understand it those peacocks aren't soft biters :) You could probably use the stiffest snag guard known to man and still hook up.

I have no experience with these, just thinkin out loud.