Speaking of tarpon... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Speaking of tarpon...

josko
12-21-2007, 11:16 AM
I have to go to San Juan (PR) in January. I'll be doing some lectures at the university but should have a bit of time off. What's my best bet for hooking up a tarpon DIY? Thanks in advance.

juro
12-21-2007, 12:06 PM
Josko -

When I explored it last winter I stayed in San Juan transitionally but didnt fish while there. Fred and Basser have hired Omar and got into them right in the city, I saw those areas but with limited time shot over to Porta Del Sol then Culebra both of which offered great DIY opportunities despite an adventurous drive across the entire country.

There are resort areas to the east that have lots of structure and gringos everywhere so it would not be an issue to roam around alone unlike parts of the city.

Once away from the city the countryside was pleasant and there were tarpon everywhere on the west side and the Island of Culebra. Also some of the biggest permit I had ever seen (including magazines) and a few bones, jacks, etc.

I guess I can't help you with DIY in the city - but others have posted about fishing the outflows of the same bay structures that the guides fish to the northeast of the city. I would imagine early morning would be best for fish and safety.

FredA
12-21-2007, 03:07 PM
JF and I fished a morning charter with Till Bruaer. www.quicksilver-fishing.com

If you search on this forum on quicksilver you'll probably find our report. Till and Omar work together, refering customers to each other when they are booked.