new rod [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: new rod

Warren
12-17-2007, 03:19 PM
I just finished building my first fly rod. A Gatti G4 906-3 blank. 6wt 9' 3 piece

http://www.jonesboring.com/Picture%20007%20(Small).jpg

Next job is a Xi-2 8 wt for wifey:D stay tuned

Jim Miller
12-17-2007, 03:55 PM
Hey Warren
Looks GREAT!
One can see the TLC and time you put into it. :D
I've heard a lot of good things about the Gatti blanks. Let us know how it fishes after the first big one landed!!
I also built a Xi2 8 wt this past Spring..... nice casting rod.

vtloon
12-17-2007, 06:36 PM
Warren, looks nice; good choice on the wrap color..subtle, yet there!

FishHawk
12-18-2007, 04:39 AM
Is this the start of Warren's Customs Rod?:lildevl: Nice work. FishHawk

teflon_jones
12-18-2007, 09:53 AM
Very nice Warren! Rod building is somewhere in my future but I'm honestly a little daunted by the whole thread wrapping thing.

Warren
12-18-2007, 07:03 PM
Is this the start of Warren's Customs Rod?:lildevl: Nice work. FishHawk

If business stays like it has the past few weeks Fishawk, I just may have to open the Baker Hill Area Custom Rod division of Jones Welding LLC :hihi:

Scott I found the wrapping part fairly easy. It is getting the finish on nice & level that takes some attention to detail. I practiced on graphite arrow that I broke & saved for some reason.

Thank you for the kind words guys, it means a lot :)

Frogfish
12-19-2007, 03:39 PM
Welcome to the addiction! :hihi:

Warren
12-19-2007, 04:08 PM
Hello Frogfish & welcome to the forum. Are you the same frogfish over on the rod builders forum?

Frogfish
12-19-2007, 05:40 PM
Yes I am. I frequent those 3 sister sites quite often.

I saw your post there Warren. Nice rod. I love blue on charcoal wraps. Very slick and classy!

Did you hand turn the grip? I'm getting some rod building supplies for Christmas, and then hopefully a Lathe for my BDay in April. I can't wait to start!

Post pics of your next build! :)

Warren
12-19-2007, 07:12 PM
I turned the grip on my metal lathe using a mandrel I built. shaping with a file & sand paper. I am going to look for a used small wood lathe after the holidays. For some reason I don't think cork dust is good for the internal parts on a precision machine tool:rolleyes: But a electric drill to spin the handle or even a hand file & sand paper will make a grip with a little work.

Frogfish
12-20-2007, 03:16 PM
I heard an electirc drill is good for cork. However, you might need a metal or wood lathe for turning inserts.

I like the burl on the end :)

Warren
12-20-2007, 08:24 PM
Frogfish,
You are correct about turning wood parts for handles or inserts, you need a wood turning lathe. I want to get one to turn some inserts and handle parts.
I know a fella here that lived in Maui for several years & brought back a container load of what we here in Continental US call exotic wood. I want to get some of his Maui Wowie wood to make some cool looking fly rod parts.

Frogfish
12-20-2007, 09:03 PM
Just make sure that it isn't toxic. Some fumes can get toxic...forgot which woods though.

Looking forward to the sweet exotic inserts and grips!