Harry Koons [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Harry Koons

striblue
12-13-2007, 04:21 PM
I just read on another board that Harry Koons , the owner of the Shop "Nauset Angler" just passed away today. It comes as a shock to me since I thought he beat that illness. His shop was a great meeting place on and off season and I will really miss him. He was a great guy and a great fisherman.:(

Smcdermott
12-13-2007, 05:08 PM
Very sorry to hear that. While I hadn't been in his shop in a long time he was certainly one of the first fly shop owners I found that really seemed to take the time to take an interest in his customers and really look to leave them with not only a bag on the way out but a bit of his vast local knowledge to go along with it. We'll all have to tie a few Rat's Asses in his honor to fish next season.

Sean

Quentin
12-13-2007, 06:25 PM
Sad news, indeed. I bought my first 9wt from Harry. He even told me where I could find some stripers to test it out on :cool: .

Q

Eddie
12-13-2007, 08:44 PM
What a loss for us all. I always enjoyed going into his shop.

jimS
12-13-2007, 08:59 PM
What sad news. I saw Harry in October, and had no idea that he had a health problem; other than his previous bout. He was just finishing the details on his guest house for fishermen. What a great job he was doing, first class. We'll miss him.

FishHawk
12-14-2007, 05:50 AM
Sorry to hear that. He put me onto fish at Nauset that I'll never forget. A generous guy who'll be missed. FishHawk

Sean Juan
12-14-2007, 07:13 AM
A couple years ago he spent an entire morning in Feburary out on his lawn helpling me re-learn to cast after breaking my elbow.

I had come in for thread.

I'm sorry for his family, and every Cape Cod fisherman.

Dble Haul
12-14-2007, 07:50 PM
I'm sorry for his family, and every Cape Cod fisherman.

I echo this sentiment. It's a very sad loss for many people. He will be missed.

Slinger
12-14-2007, 09:28 PM
I learned to tie the Rats Ass from Harry. And it`s caught me a lot of fish over the years. A tragic loss to the fly fishing community.
Slinger

RayStachelek
12-15-2007, 10:33 AM
Harry Koons had a real connection with the Fly Fishing Forum besides advertising his fly shop here.

Those who remember the old days will digress the memories when all the proficient tiers would run workshops at the Marlboro Show supporting this Forum.

Juro, Striblue, Lefty, and others would set up the booth. Everyone would be galvanized around the location with plenty of activity and buzz. Some great tiers too, Striblue, Gil Berke, Harry Koons, and others.

Ah!... the good ole days.

juro
12-15-2007, 11:30 AM
Harry was a close friend and a true practitioner of the art of angling. I read in disbelief, but I guess I have to accept it's true.

The 2008 Spring Clave is dedicated to my friend and yours, Mr. Harry Koons - the Nauset Angler.

Adrian
12-16-2007, 11:56 AM
This is so, so sad.

Last time I was on the Cape, I called in at Nausett Angler since I hadn't seen Harry for a couple of seasons. Everything looked closed up and the neighbor said, "Harry's up in Maine fishing!"

I'm betting he's fishing right now!

A true friend to the forum and always willing to pass on local knowledge for those new to the area or looking to explore the Cape beyond Monomoy.

Good call Juro. I'll be raising a glass in Harry's memory this coming May.

titleguy
12-17-2007, 10:36 AM
Very sorry to hear about Harry- My Chatham buddy was shocked when I told him. I will wear my "Rat's Ass" hat a little more reverentially now.

Penguin
12-17-2007, 12:40 PM
During my "dark" previous life I lost many good friends...victims of a high risk environment and a dangerous calling...somewhat expected and all part of the ultimate price of admission...
I dodged more than one golden beebee and had more than my fair share of close calls...
Related PTSD and Attachment Disorder issues still haunt me...

New friends...New surroundings...New beginnings...
The Cape has been good medicine for me and the centre of my new universe...
Harry was always a bright star in my sky and a cordial host whenever I stopped by to visit him in his warm and welcoming shop...
Harry WAS the Nauset Angler and will, even in his absence, continue to be a positive influence...

We grieve his untimely passing and deeply regret the loss of his warm and sincere friendship...
For me, his untimely departure will be more profound than the new Nauset Break!
Being blessed with Harry's acquaintance makes me smile but the tears in my eyes and the ache in my heart darken the winter sun and intensify the cold breeze...

We should mourn his loss and celebrate his life and never take for granted friendships and simple joys...
Driving down the road to Nauset Beach will NEVER be the same!
Tight lines, Harry!

flydoc
12-19-2007, 03:40 PM
From today's Cape Cod Times online:
[EAST ORLEANS —

Harry Charles Koons II, 57, of East Orleans, passed away unexpectedly on Thursday, Dec. 13, 2007.

He is survived by his friend and wife, Julianne Burnham Koons; three beautiful daughters, the loves of his life, Emily Gagon, Amy Koons and Rebekkah Koons of New Hampshire; a niece and nephew, Nicole Monahan and Erik Bordman. He is predeceased by his parents, Catharine and Richard Koons, and his sister, Susan Bordman.

Harry accomplished many feats during his short life and lived his life to the fullest. His greatest passion and joy, besides his devoted friends and family, were fishing and music. He always felt at peace on the water, organized many bonefish trips in the Bahamas and Mexico, and owned and operated the Nauset Angler. He was written about in many journals on his original designs of the tackle, and was commissioned by many for his artistic talent.

More recently, he got back to his music. He would sit for hours playing his mandolin, and had plans for a Christmas CD with his old friends from school.

He will be dearly missed by many.

Visitation will be held on Saturday, Dec. 22, 2007, from 2 to 3 p.m., followed by a short ceremony, at 3 p.m., in the Nickerson Funeral Home, 77 Eldredge Park Way, Orleans.

In lieu of flowers, donations may be made in his honor to the Interfaith Council for the Homeless, P.O. Box 828, Orleans, MA 02653, or to the American Cancer Society, 1115 W. Chestnut St., Brockton, MA 02301. ]

Unfortunately I only met Harry once, on the day Juro took me out to Nauset after teaching me the casting mechanics of the Atlantis on the lawn next to Harry's shop. He struck me as a very generous and genuine individual. I'm saddened that I won't have the opportunity to get to know him better, given the glowing tributes posted by those here who did. Tight lines, Harry.
Flydoc

harrysgirls
12-19-2007, 09:27 PM
I just want to personally thank everyone one that posted such nice things about my father Harry Koons!! I am Emily his oldest daughter. I just want to set the record straight about his death. He had rebuild the Nauset Angler into a place to live. He had put in a beautiful staircase. Unfortunatly he hadnt put up the railing and he fell. Our family is still trying to wrap our minds around that. If any of you live on the cape we are having a ceremony at nickerson funeral home in Orleans, Ma this sat at 2pm and then a gathering at Joe's bar and grill after. Again thanks to all that posted my 2 sisters and i really loved finding this website!

rooster
12-20-2007, 03:51 PM
Harry was a really nice guy.
He was always helpful and gave me a few flies many years ago on South Beach. He was always willing to help the new guys. I will miss him.
I hope he gets to fish in Heaven.
Cheers Harry,
DK

Penguin
12-22-2007, 10:11 PM
The funeral home parking lot was over flowing with cars and well wishers crowded into the memorial...
Very emotional and a wonderful testament to the life and good times of a man truly rich with family and friends...
Somewhere in the here after there are vast flats with tailing fish and Harry is in his element wading up a storm...

spaydoc
12-23-2007, 04:39 PM
I fished with Harry and Sean, his business partner at that time, many years ago. I visited him at his shop for many years after that and he was always friendly and generous. My next trip to the Cape will have an important ingredient missing- a visit with Harry. I will wear my Rat's Ass hats with sadness but also happiness that I knew and fished with Harry.

GregD
12-24-2007, 03:07 PM
Wow that is a surprise to hear about Harry.

I too will tie up a few Rat's Asses in his honor.
He'll certainly be missed by us here at the forum.
Wish I saw this post in time to get down to the cape to pay my respects to the family.

Best wishes for you all in the New Year.

Greg.

PopnesetBay
12-24-2007, 07:11 PM
Would someone be kind enough to post a picture of a "Rats Ass" for those of us who are unfamiliar with what it looks like? A recipe would be nice but I am afraid that would open the door to too much discussion on what was/is the original. Thanks.

Pete Readel

seuss
12-25-2007, 04:54 AM
i can't believe it...

Julianne, Emily, Amy, and Rebekkah, my sincerest condolences. your husband and father is a great great man.

suffice to say i'd make up excuses to buy stuff i didn't need just to swing by the shop for a visit. it became a Beach Road right of passage. translated to a lot of gear (much still in its original packaging and brown bag) and even more great memories.

what i wouldn't give for just one more visit.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I have a kind feeling towards all "brothers of the angle" ever since I read Izaak Walton. They are men, he affirms, of a "mild, sweet, and peaceable spirit;" and my esteem for them has been increased since I met with an old Tretyse of fishing with the Angle, in which are set forth many of the maxims of their inoffensive fraternity. "Take good hede," sayeth this honest little tretyse, "that in going about your disportes ye open no man`s gates but that ye shet them again. Also ye shall not use this forsayd crafti disport for no covetousness to the encreasing and sparing of your money only, but principally for your solace, and to cause the helth of your body and specyally of your soule."

>>

I soon fell into conversation with the old angler, and was so much entertained that, under pretext of receiving instructions in his art, I kept company with him almost the whole day, wandering along the banks of the stream and listening to his talk. He was very communicative, having all the easy garrulity of cheerful old age, and I fancy was a little flattered by having an opportunity of displaying his piscatory lore, for who does not like now and then to play the sage?

>>

There is certainly something in angling...that tends to produce a gentleness of spirit and a pure serenity of mind.

-Washington Irving

Smcdermott
12-25-2007, 08:05 AM
Would someone be kind enough to post a picture of a "Rats Ass" for those of us who are unfamiliar with what it looks like? A recipe would be nice but I am afraid that would open the door to too much discussion on what was/is the original. Thanks.

Pete Readel

Pete,

Already done by Penguin. See his post on the first page.

Sean

PopnesetBay
12-25-2007, 02:30 PM
Sean,

Thanks, talk about a "Senior moment". I had already printed the damn thing out and pic is at tie bench. Have no idea whee I am at right now.

Penguin
12-27-2007, 11:00 AM
I started at Nauset Beach, then drove past the shop, on my way to the Nickerson Funeral Home...

The Memorial to honour our Harry was very thoughtful, emotional, and a fitting celebration of a remarkable life filled with family and friends...

There was an anthology of Harry photos on display that made quite a statement...
Sure there were beach and party shots and snippets of good times but one, in particular, caught my eye and captured Harry's character and spirit...

The "youngster", perhaps 6 years old, already sported the trademark BIG grin...
The suit was curious and already out of character...surfer attire would ultimately win out!
Insightful eyes were Harry intense...
Definitely elfish and classic leprechaun...
It seems that Harry was destined, early on, to inspire positive energy and a party where ever he went with who ever he met...

He left his mark and will be sorely missed and fondly remembered...
Celebrate frienship!