It's a good thing. [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: It's a good thing.

fredaevans
12-11-2007, 10:17 AM
Sitting in the Motor Home on the Banks of the Chetco River (Brookings, Or). Water conditions are perfect, all be it still a tad high on some runs, for swinging 'the big rod.'

Only one fish so far (lots of others being hooked by gear guys/plunkers) and of all things it came on a 'Irish Shrimp' pattern called a 'Flamethrower.' Fly (and others) were sent to me from Jolly 'Ol England. Had to laugh when I released the fish ... to hook one some one had to send me fluff on a hook from 8'ish thousand miles away.

Go figure ... or maybe I should just give up tyeing my own?:frown:

Eric
12-11-2007, 11:21 AM
Congratulations, Fred, at least you're out there trying and having some success. Things are still pretty muddy up here, but conditions should be fly-fishable anytime now.

As to steelhead's preference for flies: one of my friends used to make his summer steelhead flies by simply putting a clump of deer hair through an egg loop. Ugly looking things, but effective. Steelhead don't seem to have much of an aesthetic sense.

I like to go with the idea that you should offer the fish the best tied and most elegant (within reason) flies you can simply out of respect for your quarry.

Anyway, good fishing and have fun

Eric

flytyer
12-11-2007, 03:42 PM
Fred,

Glad to see you found that the Irish Shimp style flies work on our PNW steelhead. I've been using Irish Shrimp style flies for a good 10 years. They work very well in low-water during late summer/early fall when tied in small sizes and darker colors too.