Nautilus Owners [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Nautilus Owners

Sean Juan
12-07-2007, 03:48 PM
Just wanted to ask the guys who have owned the reels for a while how well the sealed drag works.

Reason I'm asking is because my pervious sealed reels left a lot to be desired.

jimS
12-07-2007, 04:02 PM
Sean, I have used a Nautilus No. 10 reels since the summer of 07. It is my "go to" reel for the 9wt that I use on the flats, and most anything else in the salt. It has been immersed in sand, and taken a lot of dunkings without fanfare. The only maintenance is a rinse periodically.

A couple of caveats, it has a one-way bearing and cannot be easily converted from left to right retrieve, and vice versa. The older models had a habit of winding line onto the spool during the casting stroke. They have a fix and newer ones have the fix. I sent mine back for the fix, and got it back within a week.

I've since purchased another one as a backup. I really like the ease of changing spools and the locking mechanism is similar to the Tibor Quick Change.

Sean Juan
12-07-2007, 06:50 PM
Thanks Jim had you in mind when I made the post.

Basically with Danielson on the sidelines (waiting to see how that plays out) the other contender for sealed drag reel was Nautilus. With the kayak and the clumsiness I think thats probably a better way to go than a Tibor-style reel which you and other have said is a better boat reel. Just was a little leery since every other sealed drag reel I've used has proven to be less than such.

With show season comming I'll wait to see if I can get my hands on either a 10 but that NV style looks pretty cool.

looking forward to seeing you back in my "yard."

sean
12-07-2007, 10:20 PM
Nautilus reels are just as good as danielsson. No real winner, they both rock. With danielsson being in a state of flux right now Nautilus is the best choice right now, that could change but for now my new reels will be nautilus. I have had no corrosion problems so far and I have never cleaned mine, some which are 4 years old.

-sean

Warren
12-08-2007, 04:27 AM
How do the nautilus reels compare price wise with the competitors.

FishHawk
12-08-2007, 06:56 AM
With the exception of the NV reels they have a nice price point. I'll probably get one just for fishing out to the yak. Would hate to drop a Tibor over the side which would be my luck.:chuckle:
If you check out their web site they recommend rinsing the reel off after each trip to prevent the build up of salt. The only thing I can see that might be a problem is it's a ported reel and the sand could get in between the frame and the spool.
Just my research on this reel which I will probably get. I'm going to take a hard look at these . Scott at the Bear's Den told me that he personally uses these reels and likes them a lot. FishHawk

Sean Juan
12-08-2007, 07:27 AM
Warren,

I suspose that depends on who the competitors are - which I guess would only be Danielson, unless there is another sealed drag reel that is truly sealed.

My Litespeed touts a sealed drag - it really isn't, same for my LL Bean reel. I've heard from others that the Ross sealed drag leaves a lot to be desired too.

So in my mind - there are only Nautilus, Danielson - and then the cork drag reels which aren't sealed but open enough to allow rinsing. This have proven the test of time but as both a kayak fisherman and an idiot I know my reels will almost always be wet and often come into contact with sand.

More importantly Warren - when the hell we going fishin'???

I caught a few sea-run brook trout this morning - I looked lovingly at the beautiful fish and thought, "Damn, I have flies that are like twice as big as this!!!!"

jimS
12-08-2007, 07:47 AM
Sean, the Nautilus No. 10 retails for $450, and spare spools are $165. The NV is pretty close to the Tibor in price. It's new, and in my opinion, unproven; although, pretty close to the original design. Checkout their website.

nmbrowncom
12-08-2007, 09:11 AM
i've had both the nautilus 10 and 7. couldn't be happier. when i contacted the company for some info a little over a year ago, they asked me what model i had and insisted that i send it to the for a free upgrade even though i was not having a problem. the reel was sent back pronto. this company has a great product and their integrity is scrupulous.

JR SPEY
12-08-2007, 03:07 PM
Though more expensive than most Danielsson and Nautilus models, the Van Staal, Hatch, and Mako by Charlton are probably even better sealed. The new Charltons are sealed even better than the previous Signature Series models, and they were the best on the market at the time. Newer reels, such as the Scierra TX2 and CTC are also sealed and are in the same price range as the Danielssons were until their recent price increase.

Penguin
12-08-2007, 04:10 PM
To drink cheap stale beer or to worry about sealed bearings! ;)

Warren
12-08-2007, 09:47 PM
More importantly Warren - when the hell we going fishin'???

Soon my friend ...Soon

Now there foks is someone that his priories in a order..... Forget who made the F***ing gear..............Lets go fishing:D

Peace & love Brother Sean:smokin:

FishHawk
12-10-2007, 06:50 PM
Warren you'll have to join us with your yak in 08. That's the reason I'll probably get the Nautilus. FishHawk

petevicar
12-11-2007, 05:09 AM
I have been using the Hatch sealed drag reel for bonefishing recently. It is fantastic.

Sean Juan
12-11-2007, 11:51 AM
Warren...

FishHawk knows...I have a plan...

It will be the coolest thing that ever happens - not just for us - but in the entire history of mankind.

Walking upright...Losers...

Discovering fire...so what...

Walking on the Moon...Yawn...

Planning the fish, fishing the plan...oh hell ya, this is the end point of evolution Man has reached his Zenith!!!!

Swalt
12-11-2007, 02:44 PM
The Sage 3000 and 2500 series reels also have sealed drags. I use a 2580 for bonefishing and think it is a fine reel. Large arbor and light weight. I use it when wading.
Waterworks-Lamson, ULA Force reels have sealed drags. I have the 4, a 12wt model and like it also but have not used it enough to really test it.

Sean Juan
12-11-2007, 09:30 PM
Swalt,

I respectfully disagree with you when it comes to Waterworks Lamson - which is the primary reason for my post.

I've owned a Lamson reel for at least 4 years - and I've had to send it back for service 4 times. It boasts a sealed drag, but in reality its just mostly sealed. Salt still finds its way in and dissolves the drag.

Now in fairness to Lamson they have always provided the service in a timely manner, but its a pain. I own a Litespeed - but it is my understanding that the drag on all Lamsons is similar if not the same.

I have heard similar stories from guys I know who own Ross Reels but I have no personal knowledge.

In my opinion the very worst type of reel for fishing the salt - is a reel that has a sealed drag that isn't 100% sealed. An exposed drag is better because at least you can rinse it.

Warren
12-12-2007, 04:36 AM
Warren you'll have to join us with your yak in 08. That's the reason I'll probably get the Nautilus. FishHawk

Bill sounds good to me, however do I have to buy a Nautilus to join the club?:hihi: :hihi:

FishHawk
12-12-2007, 04:49 AM
Warren , you can show up with a Pflueger Medalist Reels and your in. Not a problem with our little group. It's the guy behind the reel not the reel that catches fish. :chuckle: With Sean Juan leading the way who knows where we'll end up. Perhaps in Portugal. :hihi:
I'll tell you one thing the Bay side will never be the same when the Forum Navy hits the area. FishHawk

Swalt
12-12-2007, 06:34 AM
Sean Juan,
I have heard of problems with the Litespeed but you would think there would be a difference between the Litespeed and the ULA Force reels. Atleast there is a big difference in price. I would be ineterested to know if anyone has had problems with the ULA Force reels. Like I said, I don't fish 12 wt a lot so the reel has not really been tested but I have had it for 3 years and it has been exposed to salt water without a problem.

Warren
12-12-2007, 01:50 PM
With Sean Juan leading the way who knows where we'll end up. Perhaps in Portugal. :hihi:
I'll tell you one thing the Bay side will never be the same when the Forum Navy hits the area. FishHawk

LOL Bill is this where the saying Damn the torpedo's, Full speed ahead came from? :eek: :smokin:

flydoc
12-12-2007, 09:28 PM
I caught a few sea-run brook trout this morning - I looked lovingly at the beautiful fish and thought, "Damn, I have flies that are like twice as big as this!!!!"

Sean- great to hear you're having success with the sea-run trout fishery here on the Cape...I have yet to partake of that fishery, but hope to sometime soon...particularly once the ponds at Nickerson start to freeze over. I'll give you a heads up if that is in my plans for a given weekend, and maybe we can double-team the hapless salmonoids:D
Flydoc

Sean Juan
12-13-2007, 10:27 AM
Doc,

I grew up in NH and have done most of my trout fishing there. But all of my "personal" best trout have been caught on Cape. If the striper fishing wasn't so good I might actually know what I was doing when it came to these kettle ponds. Also the smallmouth bass fishing down here is amazing - again I (and nobody else) does much of it because of the saltwater.

Warren,

I'm not the type of man to judge another man by his reel. Just don't be one of these wimps who always wants to be in site of land or who thinks survival is the most important part of a trip.

Also Little Debbie Snacky Cakes are always welcome.

That Mako reel is pretty sweet, almost too nice to play with.

And thanks for the heads up on the NV - seems the only significant difference is that its lighter which doesn't matter to me given my almost God-like strength, if this was ancient Greece I'm sure I would be called "Castor" and inducted to the pantheon of Olympus as the God of Fly fishing - or maybe not.

Warren
12-14-2007, 01:26 PM
Warren,

I'm not the type of man to judge another man by his reel. Just don't be one of these wimps who always wants to be in site of land or who thinks survival is the most important part of a trip.

D...D...D..Does this mean I have to ga ga go in wa wa wa water that is over my head?:eek:

I was in a local fly shop yesterday & had a good look at those Nautilus reels. The open frame design is way cool. No where to trap sand and the spare spool prices are very reasonable. I think I know what my next reel will be after looking one over & hearing very positive things from people I know & respect