Juro was right! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Juro was right!

Warren
12-03-2007, 03:08 PM
I was looking to buy another Danielsson reel for a rod I am going to build for my wife. I like the looks and the way they are made so I sent Ron Larson an email about getting one.

He replied that he forwarded my letter to Sweden.

I then sent him a reply asking why Sweden? and was he still selling Danielsson reels. Here was his reply:

Hi Warren,
Thanks for your email. The factory is in the process of marketing through the shops. This will take sometime, therefore I send all orders and questions to them.
Yes, I will always be with Danielsson as long as I am able. I do the repair and warranty work and available to anyone for questions and any help we can offer via the phones.
Thanks again Warren and Happy Holidays to you and yours,
Ron

Looks like the good times have come to an end.

Bob Reynolds
12-06-2007, 05:38 AM
[B] Juro has been right all along. These reels comprised a tremendous amount of effort and expense to produce, abiet lower high end, but a great value for anglers everywhere, while it lasted. A small company overseas without the resourses to produce on a major scale, and an even smaller budget to put in place dealerships across America was destined to failure from the getgo. Given the Dollar/Euro situation (bottom line, they feel there money is worth more than ours) how could it ever work over the long haul not to mention the issue of service and and all the other things that the American consumer expects to see. For all that have these reels at the previous great prices, cudos! Just my humble analysis.

BR B]

juro
12-06-2007, 10:27 AM
Equilibrium has a way of finding itself.

Swalt
12-06-2007, 04:01 PM
Does this mean that the reels are no longer available at the US prices? Their website is still up and shows the reels at lower prices than they are sold for in Europe. The prices have gone up from what they were. Looks like close to $100 on the HD's from what I purchased one for about a year ago.

Warren
12-06-2007, 07:28 PM
Swalt,
I don't know that answer. Sweden has not gotten back to me and it has been over a week. I am not holding my breath. Only time will tell. If Sweden gets back to me I'll let everyone know what the deal is.

I am gonna outfit wifeys new rod with an Abel super seven it looks like.

striblue
12-06-2007, 07:54 PM
Warren, check out e-bay for the abels... Rodreelguy is a great seller and the prices are good.... I saw some 7's

Warren
12-06-2007, 09:18 PM
John, I just bought a TR1 from him. I think I am gonna get a seven from him as well. I missed one last night from another seller that went fairly cheep as I was doing something else & forgot about it! I am keeping my ear to the ground as the saying goes. Abels really are nice reels:D

Swalt
12-07-2007, 07:54 AM
There are also Danielsson LW's and HD's showing up on Ebay at close to the price that you could get them from Danielsson before the price hike. They are advertises as "was loop" so I am guessing they are the ones made in Sweeden.

salmo
12-07-2007, 08:26 AM
Bob,

you said:

Juro has been right all along. These reels comprised a tremendous amount of effort and expense to produce, abiet lower high end, but a great value for anglers everywhere, while it lasted. A small company overseas without the resourses to produce on a major scale, and an even smaller budget to put in place dealerships across America was destined to failure from the getgo. Given the Dollar/Euro situation (bottom line, they feel there money is worth more than ours) how could it ever work over the long haul not to mention the issue of service and and all the other things that the American consumer expects to see. For all that have these reels at the previous great prices, cudos! Just my humble analysis.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bob,

You have jumped into the conclusion without knowing the facts. The Danielson LARGEST Market is Europe and US + Canada account for small fraction of overall sales.
So even if they stop selling in US it would not be a big deal for them as the value of US currency against Euro and other currency has palmed 40% during the last 4 years. During just last few months
USD dropped 10+ %.
Even at current prices ( for example LW8-12 for $388) they probably don't make to much in US, but still want to provide a great reels to us.

Have you notice that during the 1-st half of the year Ron was out of inventory!!!!..........
Well, the reels were sold at fast pace in Europe and other parts of the World. Clearly they did not have problems to sell them. Most likely was problem ultra week US currency. So from financial point of view it made probably sense to sell reels with larger profit outside US , specially Europe.

In Europe, any service is done form the factory as Europe is roughly size of US. Again you sound like US is the only market any company should serve to servive. Well my friend the world is much bigger then US and there are at least as many fly-fishing enthusiasts in Europe as in US…………, not counting the rest of the world, for example Australia .
This is only my guess but in US what they need is just a few shops which can also sell only line. Once the US currency will start to appreciate form the current ridicules level ( look for new president in 2009 and exit form Iraq, improved US deficit) Danielsson will be able to offer bigger and bigger discount to US customer and eventually shops, still keeping a healthy margins.

ZB

juro
12-07-2007, 09:28 AM
There are also Danielsson LW's and HD's showing up on Ebay at close to the price that you could get them from Danielsson before the price hike. They are advertises as "was loop" so I am guessing they are the ones made in Sweeden.

Caution: I have been told by reliable sources that the ones NOT made in Sweden are junk.

Also: This has been a controversial subject, so as winter encroaches let's keep it light, cordial and on topic thanks.

Swalt
12-07-2007, 09:41 AM
Juro, I am cautious for the same reason. If you look at the pictures of the reels you can clearly read "Dannielsson LW 8eleven" or equivalent, depending on the model, across the top of the reel. Thats identical to the one I have.

salmo
12-07-2007, 10:38 AM
The reels made by Danielsson for Loop up until 2004 will had Loop logo on the back of the frame and

Danielsson engraving (small letter in the lower part of the back frame)
Which says " Designed and manufactured by Danielsson Innovation AB, Sweden"
These reels are exactly the same Danielsson makes and sales these days.

Post 2004 reels have both, the engraving at the bottom and Danielsson Logo at the top of the frame.

ZB

Bob Reynolds
12-07-2007, 08:26 PM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bob,

You have jumped into the conclusion without knowing the facts. The Danielson LARGEST Market is Europe and US + Canada account for small fraction of overall sales.
So even if they stop selling in US it would not be a big deal for them as the value of US currency against Euro and other currency has palmed 40% during the last 4 years. During just last few months
USD dropped 10+ %.
Even at current prices ( for example LW8-12 for $388) they probably don't make to much in US, but still want to provide a great reels to us.

Have you notice that during the 1-st half of the year Ron was out of inventory!!!!..........
Well, the reels were sold at fast pace in Europe and other parts of the World. Clearly they did not have problems to sell them. Most likely was problem ultra week US currency. So from financial point of view it made probably sense to sell reels with larger profit outside US , specially Europe.

In Europe, any service is done form the factory as Europe is roughly size of US. Again you sound like US is the only market any company should serve to servive. Well my friend the world is much bigger then US and there are at least as many fly-fishing enthusiasts in Europe as in US…………, not counting the rest of the world, for example Australia .
This is only my guess but in US what they need is just a few shops which can also sell only line. Once the US currency will start to appreciate form the current ridicules level ( look for new president in 2009 and exit form Iraq, improved US deficit) Danielsson will be able to offer bigger and bigger discount to US customer and eventually shops, still keeping a healthy margins.

ZB[/QUOTE]

Yes my friend Salmo you are probably right this time!! ........ I say forget the US and it's consumers until it's convenient again. We're not all that important here anyway except for the fact there wouldn't be a Europe if it weren't for US patriots and taxpayers.

Warren
12-07-2007, 09:21 PM
OK Folks,
That is enough bickering about this. When I posted this news I was simply saying The good prices have come to an end. It also appears that we can not at present get a Danielsson reel. I thought it important enough to pass along as there are many of us who like Danielsson products. I did not intend to have this turn into a slug fest about world economics, who won WWII or who is greater etc... Save it for some other time & place. I see you fail to heed Juro's warning. If this keeps Up I or someone else will lock this thread. Thank you for your consideration.

vtloon
12-07-2007, 09:44 PM
Well said, Warren. Yesterday is history, tomorrow's a mystery; we deal with today as it is.

petevicar
12-11-2007, 07:46 AM
I live in Europe and see the currency situation the other way round.
There is no way that a European company can keep stable US prices with what has happened to the dollar.
However for US US products are cheaper than they have ever been. Trips to the US and other dollar based economies are the same. We can now take advantage of this. About 6-7 years ago this was very different. Lets not discuss the reasons but as far as I am concerned I am happy to take advantage of the situation.

vtloon
12-11-2007, 10:16 AM
Concur with Petevicar; what goes around, comes around. During part of my corporate earlier life, I would be in London at least once a month. Around 1983 with the Pound Sterling at $1.10, a stop in London equaled a trip to Farlow's. Anyone need any extra Hardy Marquis spools or Wheatly boxes?