Late Fall on the Swift [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Late Fall on the Swift

millerbrown
11-25-2007, 04:50 PM
Fished the "pipe" section and below on the Swift (Ma.) yesterday. A very good day!! Spent two hours in the early morning working a #16 "hot spot" through the fast water and the pools down below. Landed 11 'bows and a pretty brookie. The temp was 17 degrees when I started but began to warm up by mid morning. I would of stayed there all day but I still had leaves to rake. This fly, even in a "large" #16, has produced very well on this river. Hopefully the water level will remain fishable through the winter.

I am thankful for this little tailwater since the Millers, my home water, will be high and iced over soon.

Millerbrown

flydoc
11-27-2007, 01:38 AM
I used to fish the Swift before I moved from Worcester to the Cape. I'll be green with envy once the kettle ponds start to freeze over...might have to check out the Quashnet in Mashpee to see if it's fishable during the winter months...haven't figured out yet how to access Scorton Creek with all the surrounding marshland dissected with skeeter ditches.
Good luck with your #16's!
Flydoc

South Shore
12-03-2007, 09:56 AM
Scortons has a parking area just off of 6A. There is also one near where it enters the harbor, but you probably want to check out the first this time of year. I haven't tried that or the Quashnet yet, but will probably be doing so soon. I'd be interested to hear how it does in the winter months.

teflon_jones
12-06-2007, 10:26 PM
Nice report. I've fished the Swift in January before in 20 degree weather and while I enjoyed being on the water, keeping the line moving with all of the ice on the line and guides wasn't exactly fun.

millerbrown
12-07-2007, 05:08 PM
Hey Teflon,

I hope to have some fun on thye Swift tomorrow morning if I don't have to shovel out of here. It's snowing hard!! It's funny but the first post that I read on this forum a few years back was you talking about "cabin fever" in the dead of winter and that the Swift just might be the cure!

Millerbrown