Flyshops in Mexico City [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Flyshops in Mexico City

kyhnau
11-20-2007, 03:30 PM
Hi Folks,
Im heading for Mexico in January and need to gear up in that occasion.
I was just about to order for a few lines, a reel and a 10wt rod from a US flyshop when it crossed my mind whether I could do some shopping in Mexico City instead and awoid the risk of my gear beeing delayed or caught by customs/duties.

Btw Im looking for Bauer, TFO and Scientific Angler reel/rod/lines.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
-Lars

juro
11-20-2007, 04:33 PM
My strategy is to bring two setups. One 5-pc in a case over the shoulder, the other in the luggage. Even if I have to wash the quick-dry clothes on my back daily and buy some toothpaste on location I will be able to stalk the flats if the luggage is delayed.

Yes there are a few choice small flies in my carry on, never had a problem with this.

kyhnau
11-21-2007, 10:28 AM
Juro,
Thanks for your advice. However I've heard that new security rules forbid you to carry fishing rods in the cabin during trans-atlantic flights.

Anyway, my question was more in direction of whether I would dare to rely on finding a well equiped fly-shop in Mexico city versus ordering reel/rod/lines in US and rely on getting it in proper time before I leave.

-Lars

juro
11-21-2007, 10:49 AM
Thanks Lars,

I was unaware of the trans-atlantic regulations. When I fly to 'your side' I'll check my rods, they will likely be Spey rods anyway.

I have no idea what the advantages of buying in Mexico would be, however my suspicion is that the availability will be poor (?)

How about a hybrid solution... order the gear in the US and have them ship it directly to your lodge? :wink:

enjoy your trip

kyhnau
11-21-2007, 06:31 PM
Hi Juro,
"New rules" as in "a couple of years old"...
I might be wrong, but thats what I've been told.
Believe its worth checking up on.

Great idea with the hybrid solution :hihi: However, Im not set on any lodges as I'll be backpacking with my girlfriend the first part (4 weeks) of the journey. Dont know exactly where that will bring us.

I've further considered whether I should try to get along only with my existing gear in Mexico (8wt setup) and postpone the shopping untill I reach Miami. However Im not very keen on the idea, that I might run into some roosters or dolphins down there and beeing limited by the 8wt.

I'd better place the US order tommorow and cross my fingers that it will reach Denmark in time...

-Lars