Wayfarer Rods ??? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Wayfarer Rods ???

Leo M
11-19-2007, 04:12 PM
Wayfare rods, are they any good? Any model number of pieces better than another? (5 piece better than 7 or 6 etc.) Thanks for any help.

teflon_jones
11-20-2007, 10:51 AM
Redington makes excellent products for the price, and the Wayfarer rods in general get excellent reviews. Can't give you any specifics though since I don't own one.

With regards to the number of pieces, the more pieces the more the action of the rod is compromised because the joints can't be as flexible as the rest of the rod. They have to be beefier to take the strain of being a joint. That being said, joint technology has come a long way and it's hard to tell apart a 4 piece rod from a 2 piece one. But you will be able to tell apart a 7 piece from a 3 piece.

Quentin
11-20-2007, 06:26 PM
I don't have any info about Wayfarer rods but I will toss in my $.02 regarding the number of sections. I prefer rods with an even number of sections because you can take them apart at the middle and fold them in half (with the line still through the guides) for short-term transportation and storage. If the rod has an odd number of sections then you can't take apart just one ferrule and have two equal-length sections. Doesn't sound like a big deal but it matters to me so I thought I'd mention it.

Q

Smcdermott
11-20-2007, 08:04 PM
I own a 9 for 9 wayfarer I got about 4 years ago. Great rod for the money. Its a 5 piece. Although I agree with Quentin in that I generally would rather have a 4 piece it works great since it is just short enough to fit in my seat storage compartment on the boat as a backup stick. I would classify it as a moderately fast action with decent feel.

Sean