humid basement? useful info [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: humid basement? useful info

teflon_jones
11-19-2007, 12:57 PM
Hey, this is really random and on the edge of being fishing related, but I consider forums to be places where people can help each other out in lots of ways so I figured I'd post it. I'm putting this here since nobody ever seems to check out the open forum. It has been incredibly useful for me and has saved not only fishing gear, but tools and other things in general.

If you've got a basement, chances are you have a dehumidifier or should have one. Chances are that you also don't empty it nearly as often as it needs to be, which means it's not really doing its job. With a little bit of work and $60 you can never empty it again. I did this a couple of years ago and I have a dry basement where my fishing gear dries quickly, hooks and equipment don't rust, my tools don't rust, and the air is dry and smells good. I'm in no way affiliated with this company past or present but I spent $60 on them and it's been some of the best money I've ever spent and while this isn't directly fishing-related, one of the reasons I did this is because I put a lot of wet fishing stuff in my basement that otherwise would probably get musty and moldy without this setup.

I have a Little Giant water pump model VCMA-15 for removing air conditioner condensation and put it in the bucket of my dehumidifier. It automatically turns on when the bucket fills up and dumps the water wherever you want. I dump mine into an old laundry drain in the basement, or you could dump it out a window, or into a toilet, or wherever you like. The bucket required some modification, first of all cutting out the internal supports to fit the pump in, and also cutting a hole in the front to run the power cord and tubing out. It took me probably an hour to do this and since then, I've never emptied my dehumidifier. All of my fishing gear dries very quickly and never smells musty or moldy, and nothing ever rusts.

If you're interested in getting more info such as where to get the pump or how to set it up just shoot me a PM.

striblue
11-20-2007, 09:51 AM
Scott, I have one in my basement. I can not remember what I paid for it but it has a pump already built in...That is, it has a bucket that will fill OR I can attach a hose, which I do and it drains continiously into the floor of my basement shower. If I don't use the hose the bucket will fill up and the machine will automatically shut down when the water fills the bucket to the top level. But If I attach the hose with a slight adjustment it will work continiously to the settings I set. It was not that expensive and i think I got it at Sears. No worries of overflows, etc.

teflon_jones
11-20-2007, 10:48 AM
I bought my dehumidifier without really thinking about getting one with a pump or having to empty it or I might have gotten an all in one machine. I think I paid $80 shipped for a high capacity dehumidifier reconditioned off eBay so my only choice was the retrofit of the pump. I may have ended up with a better pump too, who knows. It can push water up a 1/2" ID line 15 feet. Pretty good for a pump that probably measures 3x4x6.

juro
11-20-2007, 03:29 PM
Attach a brita filter and recycle all that water for drinking. :hihi:

teflon_jones
11-23-2007, 01:31 PM
What I'm really wondering is if I can put one of those pumps in the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket and have an instant toilet.....