Maryland at Christmas [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Maryland at Christmas

pcknshvl
11-19-2007, 11:41 AM
I'll be there... and our host has a boat. Can we expect (or merely hope) to find any salt water action?

Thanks for the help!

Tom in Seattle

pcknshvl
11-26-2007, 12:33 PM
Bump... still hoping for info. We'll be on Asawoman bay. Thanks!

BigDave
11-26-2007, 02:06 PM
Isn't that the time of year they get big bass around the CBBT?

juro
11-28-2007, 06:50 AM
Tom -

Hey long time man!

There were a couple of Chesapeake cowhounds on the site a couple years back and yes they were catching some of the biggest brood fish I'd ever seen on flies primarily in the current rips around the bridges and from boats. We're talking 30-40# fish on flies with some regularity.

It always makes a summertime angler like me a little nervous to see breeding fish being hooked but clearly it's a catch and release opportunity for trophy fish of a lifetime.

I'll see if I can dig up some info. If not at least do a crab feed or two :)

pcknshvl
11-30-2007, 02:19 PM
Juro--

Yes, long time! You'll be happy to know that I've gone into the two-handed thing big time. If only I could afford more rods....

What's a "cowhound?"

Thanks for the info!

Are you planning any trips to the PNW this year?

Tom

pcknshvl
12-18-2007, 02:25 PM
One last try before I pack up and head for the airport on Saturday....

juro
12-18-2007, 05:24 PM
Hi Tom -

I haven't been able to locate Brian's contact info and am not directly knowledgeable in that area.

My advice - fish HUGE flies from a boat near the bridge currents.

fishboyicu812
12-18-2007, 08:51 PM
Unfortunately there is not a whole lot available to fly anglers at this time of year in Maryland waters...at least in regards to rockfish. As a matter of fact our season just ended this past Saturday(catch and release is still allowed). White perch and pickeral are available however the real action is south in Virginia water's especially around the CBBT. The fishing in this locale is simply amazing. Essentially 3/4 of the entire east coast stock of rockfish spend the winter in this general area providing some truly epic angling(50+ lb fish are regularly landed).

I hope this has not discouraged you...There are a couple local shops that might be able to steer you in the right direction one is Anglers Sports Center located in Anne Arundel county and the other is Winchester Creek Outfitters located in Grasonville.

titleguy
12-19-2007, 09:27 AM
Plenty of Chesapake info on Brian Horsley and Sarah Gardner's site:

outerbanksflyfishing dot com

pcknshvl
12-19-2007, 11:30 AM
Thanks for all the input, everyone!