Fly? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Fly?

Camoman13
11-12-2007, 08:24 PM
I was at a river in Ruidoso, New Mexico. I wnt up there and saw some brown trout. I cast out my line and it landed right in front of its face!! It didn't even flinch. I pulled it in tried anouther fly and still nothing. I wonder it they were just not bitting. Or if I was using the wrong fly.:confused:

Dble Haul
11-13-2007, 09:36 AM
Tough to comment without knowing what flies you were using, or what situation or lie the trout was in. Can you provide more details?

Camoman13
11-13-2007, 06:58 PM
I was at the river using a bee(I dont know the name). then I switched to a grass hopper. (i don't know the names of them:confused: " It looked at it and did absolutely nothing.

Dble Haul
11-14-2007, 10:34 AM
There are limitless reasons as to why the trout didn't eat your fly, but here are a few of the most probable:

The fish wasn't in a feeding mood (it was already full or in a somewhat inactive state)

You didn't match the hatch to imitate the insect that was most prevalent at the time

Your presentation wasn't perfect (drag, too heavy of a tippet, etc.)

Of course there could be other reasons, but I'd start with these. Think about these items when you're on the water next, and perhaps you'll be more successful.

Have fun.

Camoman13
11-14-2007, 09:20 PM
Thx:chuckle: