Fly? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Fly?

11-12-2007, 07:24 PM
I was at a river in Ruidoso, New Mexico. I wnt up there and saw some brown trout. I cast out my line and it landed right in front of its face!! It didn't even flinch. I pulled it in tried anouther fly and still nothing. I wonder it they were just not bitting. Or if I was using the wrong fly.:confused:

Dble Haul
11-13-2007, 08:36 AM
Tough to comment without knowing what flies you were using, or what situation or lie the trout was in. Can you provide more details?

11-13-2007, 05:58 PM
I was at the river using a bee(I dont know the name). then I switched to a grass hopper. (i don't know the names of them:confused: " It looked at it and did absolutely nothing.

Dble Haul
11-14-2007, 09:34 AM
There are limitless reasons as to why the trout didn't eat your fly, but here are a few of the most probable:

The fish wasn't in a feeding mood (it was already full or in a somewhat inactive state)

You didn't match the hatch to imitate the insect that was most prevalent at the time

Your presentation wasn't perfect (drag, too heavy of a tippet, etc.)

Of course there could be other reasons, but I'd start with these. Think about these items when you're on the water next, and perhaps you'll be more successful.

Have fun.

11-14-2007, 08:20 PM