boston harbor 8/8 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: boston harbor 8/8

jeffg
08-09-2000, 09:01 AM
Unfortunately, an uninteresting report (especially compared to all the monomoy talk here). Fished the harbor from 7-9pm in perfect conditions last night but got spanked--first time back with a fly rod in two weeks, not a pretty way to return. Saw one swirl, otherwise it was dead out there...

I tried out that Cortland qd 325 last night--cool line, but it did not have a prayer of loading the ten weight I was using. I suspect it will rocket out on my 9wt. once I get it back from repair land.

Jeff

juro
08-09-2000, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the report, Jeff. Boy it's been a strange season - but the fish hanging around on Cape has made it great for a lot of us. I suspect the habah will get a great fall push when the bigger bait arrives... thinking back the pogies were all over the harbor this time last year.

Todd's report and Bob Pink's 'research' indicates that the harbor may be picking up soon... what are your thoughts?

Do you think the Stellwagon fish will show?

jeffg
08-09-2000, 11:33 AM
I sure hope it picks up soon. I have not been spending the time on the water in the harbor as of late to get a real good read for how it has progressed in the last few weeks (I am still in a regrouping phase you might say). However, this time last year was when i really was able to fish the harbor hard, and as you said, it was starting to load up with pogies and bass were on top in quality-sized schools almost every morning. Small blues were around in good numbers, followed by enormous schools of 10-15 lb. blues in the latter half of the month.
I am hoping for a repeat, but I'm sure it is all bait dependant.

Sadly, I do not think the Stellwagon fish will show when there are still sandeels galore out there, unimpressive bft reports north of Chatham, and plenty of bait to the north and south of the harbor area--I'm still hearing good mackerel reports around Salem etc...

Time will tell. I must make a rip trip with you folks!!!

juro
08-09-2000, 11:42 AM
How about the 27th? We have a small uprising going on for another run...