RI Report [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: RI Report

bonefishmon
11-09-2007, 09:32 PM
Headed out to Misquamicut Beach Friday morning at first light to see what all the commotion was about from the past two days of reports. Boy were they right. There was a blitz of major proportions from the Watch Hill light and on past the Andrea. Hooked and released many fiesty school bass up to 25 inches. High tide was at 7:40am and the birds abrubtly went elswhere after 8:30am. No blues and the fish were at my feet for the most part. Will try again in the morning and see what this NE'er will do the the activity. The Big Lady is heading for the stage. Let's just hope she's too fat to make it up the stairs.

Phil

FishHawk
11-10-2007, 06:30 AM
I almost made it down but decided not to because of the NE wind. Looks like the window is very small maybe a couple of hours or so. That 's Fall fishing. You sort of have to be a local and fish the small window and not have to worry about a 4 hr round trip drive. FishHawk

bonefishmon
11-10-2007, 10:43 AM
Today was a carbon copy of Friday except I saw a 35 lb. fish landed and killed. It fell to a plug. Schoolies were bigger today.

Phil

bonefishmon
11-12-2007, 05:48 PM
Sunday and Monday still going strong.

Phil

RayStachelek
11-12-2007, 08:25 PM
Plenty of schoolies off Five Cottages today, Monday.
Lost count.... all stripers.
Hundreds of birds with a few gannets mixed in.
We splashed with the temps at 23degrees.
Motor started right up.
Flat calm.
Stripers are slowly head west.

MainEYak1
11-15-2007, 10:18 AM
Wednesday rained early then cleared up. I took my annual pilgrimage down with the Maritime skiff to fish this area and extend the season as Maine waters are 45 degrees and pretty much dead for bass. Ahh, it's always good to negotiate the room fee at the Stardust hotel on the hill. I need to find a better $50 room...but anyway it was all worth it when we launched at Barn Island and headed around the corner. It pretty much sums up to say we were on birds and schools of bass all day. They were eating silversides 3-4 inches long. It was good to see the beach guys driving up and down, running from the truck to waters edge casting like hell and hooking up. We did not have a single bluefish. Bass were 18-25" and we were on them all day. Great fun and it's always good to get a season extender in. Now I can rest in winterization peace and chase sea run brown trout for another few months. Hope you guys have a great winter.

Quentin
11-15-2007, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the report. Glad you got into 'em for your last trip of the season :cool: .

I hope to be one of the guys chasing them from the beach this weekend :hihi: .

Q

jimS
11-15-2007, 09:39 PM
Phil et al, thanks for the update on Rhoddy fishing. It appears that you have the last migrants passing your way to southern waters. I would like to fish that area sometime, but hate to leave the Cape because of the variety of locations to fish. Next year, i've got to spend some time there, particularly in the fall.

bonefishmon
11-16-2007, 06:26 AM
Phil et al, thanks for the update on Rhoddy fishing. It appears that you have the last migrants passing your way to southern waters. I would like to fish that area sometime, but hate to leave the Cape because of the variety of locations to fish. Next year, i've got to spend some time there, particularly in the fall.

Jim. Please do. There are enough contingents from the Forum to show you around. Access can be tough without a kayak in some of my favorite areas. We have Sandy Point which is a diamond in the rough and would remind you of the elbow in micro. Then, there are the salt ponds and the worm hatches. I could go on and on but you'll have to come and see for yourself. I miss fishing the Cape and I agree with you that it surpasses most spots on the globe in the NE as far as sheer beauty.

Phil

Striper
11-17-2007, 05:17 PM
Fished in the gale this morning, solid 4-6 fters. Far to rough to attempt a flyrod assault but we came prepared with some bass candy. Landed 6 bass all over 41" and the biggest being 45.5" 35 lbs. landed by yours truly and the first decent bass I have caught in months. I still think the big girls are a bit away yet and the only issue is the cold and weather. I know we quit well before the fish do.

http://www.creativejewelrydesigns.biz/image/35lber1.jpg

http://www.creativejewelrydesigns.biz/image/35lber.jpg

Guernseybass
11-18-2007, 10:31 AM
Next year, i've got to spend some time there, particularly in the fall.

same here, i have been reading a lot about the big fish they catch at night from those boulders and it sounds mouth watering. i also hope to hit those salt ponds in july and august at night.

if south beach fails to improve, i see myself spending a lot more time bayside and in RI next year. :wink:

Mark

bonefishmon
11-23-2007, 04:26 PM
Took the water's temperature this AM at Misquamicut. A balmy 53 degrees. I arriveed one hour late for a blitz that made it to shore. Loads of large bunker in the wash. That golden number is approaching this week. The cold nights are upon us.

Phil