No gannets yet [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: No gannets yet

Dble Haul
11-05-2007, 02:20 PM
No gannets yet in southern Rhode Island or Connecticut. Plenty of fish a few hundred yards off the beaches and very thick in some old reliable ponds and coves.

I don't think that the fat lady has even made it to the theater yet in these parts. Quentin and I saw no signs of her at all. The real kicker for the day was that I left the boat at home because I assumed the day after a tropical depression would be very unfriendly for any craft. Bad assumption. :roll:

But all was not lost. We caught plenty of fish, and it was good to fish with Q again after a couple of years.

jimS
11-06-2007, 05:57 PM
Mark, what is the baitfish situation in your area? Peanuts, rain bait? Gannets typically want the big stuff, e.g. sea herring, and if available, halfbeaks. Be patient, they've got to come your way, unless they migrate outside.

Thanks and keep us posted.

Dble Haul
11-06-2007, 06:09 PM
My observation about the gannets is a positive thing. They are usually a sign of the last hurrah while feeding on large herring and other big baits, and the fact that they haven't been seen yet means there's still some good fishing left. I love seeing their acrobatics, but I also know that they signal the end so I can wait a while longer.

Local bait right now is peanut bunker and bay anchovies with some silversides mixed in.

rockfisherman
11-06-2007, 08:19 PM
My observation about the gannets is a positive thing. They are usually a sign of the last hurrah while feeding on large herring and other big baits, and the fact that they haven't been seen yet means there's still some good fishing left. I love seeing their acrobatics, but I also know that they signal the end so I can wait a while longer.

Local bait right now is peanut bunker and bay anchovies with some silversides mixed in.

Yes, no gannets yet...seen 2 but not diving...silversides, mullet and peanut bunker, have not seen the anchovies. Lots of bait, and still lots of fish. Water temp in Newport is 55, the bass don't leave until 50 so we have a lot left. The season seems 2 to 3 weeks behind the usual schedule, so don't hang it up yet.

bonefishmon
11-07-2007, 05:21 AM
A report from another site stated gannets everywhere on Saturday in the Eastern Point area of RI over Macks.

Phil

Quentin
11-07-2007, 06:13 PM
. . . The real kicker for the day was that I left the boat at home because I assumed the day after a tropical depression would be very unfriendly for any craft. Bad assumption. :roll:

But all was not lost. We caught plenty of fish, and it was good to fish with Q again after a couple of years.

Good fishing with you, too, Mark :cool: .

Yeah, the boat would have allowed us to check out all that bird activity and we may have gotten into some bigger bass or blues. Still a great day, and I've got to agree that it's not over yet.

Q