Trevally [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Trevally

Trevor B
11-04-2007, 06:02 PM
What is a good set up , leader wise for Trevally , the simpler the better
thanks Trev

josko
11-08-2007, 08:28 AM
I'm no expert, but I've used straight 30 lb fluoro, with a bite tippet of 80 lb. The big thing is to avoid getting broken off on coral. It would make sense to use >30lb, but then I find the fly line breaks first.
I've used poppers and floating lines , but fast-sink lines are more effective, IMHO.

Eddie
11-10-2007, 10:39 AM
I found that poppers sometimes spooked them, and had better luck with a big streamer.

I think I used a wire bite guard and 20#, but I might have been using a tarpon leader (60#). I don't think that the bite guard is too important. I suspect that straight 30 would be fine. Josko is right. The coral is the real threat. This is one of those times when it is better to be lucky than good.

petevicar
11-12-2007, 10:51 AM
Hi Trevor

I use straight 60lb fluoro. This is only for abrasion reasons. A GT will normally try to go around a coral head.
I use epoxy head deceivers with a brown back.
This works great in the Seychelles.

Pete

Trevor B
11-12-2007, 01:57 PM
Pete
Any advice on the colors of the deceivers other than the dark back ? and the length of the leader ?
I'm guessing you must have been away fishing ?

Mat M
11-12-2007, 02:24 PM
Trev,

Did you get the article I sent through. Great piece of writing by Tim Pask who has landed some huge fish out at Christmas.

I'm with Pete. I fish 60lb stright through generally with a big white deceiver on the end. Have caught them on all kinds of fly's (crease fly's, Merkins, clousers). Have cast at some big fish with small offerings and they have been completely ignored. Big is better if you are going to chase the really big fish.

Regards
Mat

Trevor B
11-12-2007, 03:49 PM
Mat
Yes I did get the article on GT's, good piece and some great pictures. I am in the throws of making a 12 wt and getting a reel to match, just wondering if I'm up to handling one of those big boys though ?
I'm sure it going to be a great experience in many ways.
thanks Trev

petevicar
11-13-2007, 07:15 AM
Hi Trev

You don't need a leader any longer than 9ft.
As Matt says a Gt will almost take anything, however they sometimes just follow the fly and swim away. You sort of need to get them lit up, then they will follow the fly in the air and hit it as soon as it hits the water. I personally prefer a flashy baitfish pattern.

Pete

kyhnau
11-13-2007, 07:32 AM
Hi Trev

... then they will follow the fly in the air and hit it as soon as it hits the water.

Pete

Sounds soooo cool :cool:

-Lars

Mat M
11-13-2007, 09:33 AM
A hookless popper on spin tackle is a great way of starting these guys up..... you just need someone willing to throw it while you fish :) Also fish cruising with sharks and rays tend to jump all over a fly.

Trev, don't forget you will also find bluefin and barred trevally on the flats at Christmas Island. Both species are great fun. You will find the barred trevally up on the flats tailing aka golden trevs in Australia and feeding on similar flies to bones. Bluefins roam the drop offs and coral outcrops and are probably the least fussy of all trevally and are great on an 8wt.

Barred Trev
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j145/Mathewmchugh/bonefish34.jpg

Bluefin Trev
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j145/Mathewmchugh/bonefish45.jpg

GT or Brassy
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j145/Mathewmchugh/bonefish105.jpg

Trevor B
11-13-2007, 08:26 PM
Mat
Great pictures and lots of good information, Thanks to all I think I have it squared away as to what I need and how to rig etc.
I get more and more excited with each day and each fly I tie up, can't wait.
I watched one of the videos in the link shown in another post and it shows a guy casting too and hooking a GT, it is really awsome ! they really are brutes
regards Trev

petevicar
11-14-2007, 10:54 AM
Nice pics Matt!!!!

Angelo
12-05-2007, 06:34 AM
I wouldn't be too conservative on the leaders or the gear. These fish are the work of the Devil himself. They are bitter and angry at life or something. I've never seen such a violent strike of a popper in my life. They'll break all your gear, then they'll break your backup gear, and if they really wanted to, they could break you.

This is my first GT, from Christmas Island about 7 weeks ago. I had a lot of heavy gear with me (TFO Bluewater MD, TFO Bluewater LD, Powell 12wt, Shilton SL8 and SL7 both loaded with 80# braid backing and 60/75# core strength Rio Leviathan) and after what I saw there that week, I wouldn't use anything less. My 80# Fluoro shocks came out frayed every time. I never thought I'd actually be happy that I put 600 yards of 80# braid backing on my Shilton SL8. 10wt would have worked well for the small guys on the flats though, and with lighter shock too - I had 20, 30, 40, 60, and 80 with me aside from my Bonefish stuff. Straight up leaders, no taper, and short, just like everyone else said. These things would eat a license plate tethered to a bright yellow clothes line if you threw it at them.

http://home.comcast.net/~galvanni/Xmas_GT_Medium.jpg

Mat M
12-05-2007, 07:23 AM
Awesome fish!!

Trev,

I hope you are stocking up on 12wts.

Mat

jimS
12-05-2007, 01:52 PM
Angelo, for a first, I can't imagine what you are going to do for encore. Congratulations, that's a huge GT. Did you target yellowfin there?

Smcdermott
12-05-2007, 02:32 PM
WOW!!!!:Eyecrazy:

I see a cover shot of FFSW in your future. That thing is a beast.

Sean

Vince
12-05-2007, 04:21 PM
awesome! Huge fish! Looks like a great trip.

Angelo
12-05-2007, 05:41 PM
...Did you target yellowfin there?

Yes, we targeted Yellowfin too, and also Wahoo and Sails. We came up short on the hoos (going through Wahoo Alley is an adventure itself) and sails, but we did get a lot of Bones, Trevally, Tuna, and Barracuda.

The Tuna was a given - the place is absolutely polluted with Yellowfin. Each day we went out, it wasn't even a question as to whether or not we'd run into them, but more a question of what else we'd find out there. We ate a ton of Sashimi - just catch a Yellowfin, drag it aboard, cut a loin out of its flank and start chomping away. Chased it down with coconut milk. Also, more Bonefish than you could shake a stick at - well actually, we were shaking sticks at them :chuckle:

http://home.comcast.net/~galvanni/P9220338%20(Large)%20(Medium).JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~galvanni/P9220348%20Medium.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~galvanni/P9220324%20(Large)%20(Medium).JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~galvanni/P9200194%20(Large)%20(Medium).JPG

Trevor B
12-05-2007, 10:03 PM
Angelo
Those are really great pictures; I'm sitting here almost shaking in my boots with excitement, the picture of the GT is just a brute, great fish good job. Only 5 weeks to go but still lots of flies to tie and a 12 wt to finish.
Sounds like you had a great trip.
Trev

Adrian
12-06-2007, 01:30 PM
Great stuff - I gota get back there someday before I get too old :smokin:

kyhnau
12-06-2007, 02:08 PM
Great fish + pictures...
Congratulation!

petevicar
12-11-2007, 06:53 AM
Hey Angelo
I'm not sure that I like that pic with the GT in the boat. It must have been half dead. Did you release it?

Pete

Vince
12-14-2007, 10:09 AM
What are your favorite GT flies? Gotta start tying for March.

Angelo
12-14-2007, 05:54 PM
Hey Angelo
I'm not sure that I like that pic with the GT in the boat. It must have been half dead. Did you release it?

Pete

She swam away fine - kicked away solidly as soon as we got her back in the water, without even moving her around. We had the camera ready and released right after a quick shot. Although I won't argue - it's definitely not the best way to handle a fish. Part getting caught up in the excitement and part the guide doing whatever he wanted to begin with.

petevicar
12-15-2007, 06:47 AM
She swam away fine - kicked away solidly as soon as we got her back in the water, without even moving her around. We had the camera ready and released right after a quick shot. Although I won't argue - it's definitely not the best way to handle a fish. Part getting caught up in the excitement and part the guide doing whatever he wanted to begin with.

Well done.
Congratulations on a great fish.