RI "Report" [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: RI "Report"

Paxton
11-02-2007, 04:41 PM
I hate to brag gentlemen, but I got skunked today on 7 beaches from Napatree to Point Judith and one breachway. A lot of guys out roaming from beach to beach....same deal at each of them....hords of stripers slamming bait 400 yds. out. I'm sure the boaters did well today. No one on shore got anything, except reportedly a couple of pre-pre-pre dawn guys. Was out there 1/2 hr before dawn.....could hear them in the distance.
Ron

bonefishmon
11-02-2007, 08:25 PM
Ron. The old saying "Should have been there tomorrow!" or was it yesterday? If only I knew you where driving down. Come to my neck of the woods without letting me know? Lots of fish were caught from shore on Friday but not in Rhode Island. I got a dozen out back near sunset. It was an off day in SOCO. The fish are still here but getting smaller. Saw tons of bones this AM. My friends boat is high and dry now due to the weather coming. We are all hoping the storm will push the bigger fish in from Montauk. I'm not a doom and gloomer until I've been skunked for over two weeks. Water is still 62 degrees in the Thames. Fish will go in and out of it in pursuit of chow. Strill loads of bluefish around. No Gannets yet. When they start to show......and this happens every year.....it's almost over. The north wind pushes bait away from shore along those beaches. Sunday saw AMAZING amounts of bail, birds and larger fish. SW blowing 30.

Phil

bonefishmon
11-02-2007, 08:27 PM
Ron. I meant yesterday.

Phil

Paxton
11-03-2007, 07:27 AM
Phil......I think that we all should stop keeping track of the # and size of fish we caught, and instead, only keep track of "yesterdays":hihi:
My suggestion for tallying:
"I Had a Yesterday" vs "You Should Have Been Here Yesterday"
Ron: 7 158

:chuckle:

Paxton
11-03-2007, 07:28 AM
Boy....that didn't print out like I typed it...scores should have been spread out

RayStachelek
11-03-2007, 07:21 PM
Hey Ron....

You're right! Large fish have moved off shore. The winds have been brutally from the North for ten days now. That's pushing the food supply away from south shores. It will take awhile to settle down again.

In the bay, there is still plenty of bluefish. Friday we ran into some bluefish blitzes with 25 kt winds and 3 feet waves on the surface. Go figure!

Just be patient Ron and pick your days in RI. The fish are still here.