Plymouth 10/31 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Plymouth 10/31

JimW
10-31-2007, 10:32 AM
The big blitzes seem to have subsided. Water temp is down to ~48F but it was just a beautiful morning out there and I had to see if the fish were still around. I arrived at the ramp to a 7AM false dawn, lanched and as I rounded the corner at the mooring field 100's of birds came into view at the end of the jetty. I needed to run out some old fuel this morning so I blew by them hoping to scope out the rest of the bay for bigger bait, none to be found. So after a while of running around I returned to the jetty which was still going. Put a few small fish on a hook and called it a morning. The fish are smaller and fewer now. Dinks and Ducks usually signal the end is near. There have been reports of 40lb fish off Hull so it might be time to intercept them at the canal. The NE forecast for the weekend will probably finish things off up my way. There will still be fish to catch in the canal into November but based on this morning's observations the fun is coming to an end in Plymouth. I may even have to resort to trout fishing soon.

Bigcat
10-31-2007, 12:58 PM
How did the new prop work out for you, notice any performance difference

South Shore
10-31-2007, 02:12 PM
Easy on the trout stuff there, I picked up my first on friday. A healthy 14"er with a #16 Griffiths Gnat.

Of course I'm only jealous. I started looking at rods for next year so I can flyfish in the salt and already can't wait for the spring.

Lefty
10-31-2007, 03:36 PM
Jim,
What do you mean "up my way". :chuckle:
Up here things are pretty much done. Thanks for the report from down theah!
I guess Rhodey is the only hope now?

bonefishmon
10-31-2007, 06:32 PM
. I may even have to resort to trout fishing soon.[/QUOTE]

Not!!! Follow the migration Jim. We're still in the mid to high 50's down here., It's just a tad windy for boats with no sign of it letting up.

Phil

Striper
10-31-2007, 08:57 PM
I fished Watch Hill to Hatchetts Reef today. Forthose of you that don't know the area down here that is a haul. And found very little action and what action I did find was of the very small variety. Very frustrating given the reports I have been getting of the Rhody shore. Naps had the most pods of ish but they were very small bass and blues and very scattered. I even resorted to live lining some shad I got in Mystic and those were left alone except for one bluefish mauling the rest were released unharmed to feed fish another day.

JimW
11-01-2007, 06:54 PM
Bigcat - The prop is great, meant to give you call about it. The boat pops right up on plane now, rpm's are higher but more in line with wot. Lost a bit on the top end but I'll take that given the benefits gained, I also found she'll bite and hold at lower rpms than before and I can run slower in 3-4' and not get so wet. Thanks again for hooking me up.

South Shore - Trout on a grifiths gnat, that's my go to for the Fall. Don't know much about trout fishing and don't really do much nymph fishing so I hear ya on the dry fly.

Lefty - You must keep Greg away from the water, I think he's spoiling the fishing up there, took Plymouth a couple of days to recover after his visit.:hihi:

Phil - I wish I could, maybe next weekend but doubtful this year.

bonefishmon
11-02-2007, 08:31 PM
Bones? Did I hear you say Bonito? Saw tons this AM but was not fishing. Pulling the Green Machine that you saw me in last year. Lots of fish left down here. We just need the SW breeze agin after the storm. Odd that it's not bringing warmer air temps with it.

Phil

bonefishmon
11-02-2007, 08:35 PM
Juro. I know you're reading this. Where you at Brotha? Miss your posts. Yea. Work......work ............work. Pulled a dozen fish out of the Shadhole last night.

Phil

bonefishmon
11-04-2007, 05:03 AM
Soccer anyone? Juro found Wilson!!! Sere hurricane thread.

Phil