november steelhead opportunities? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: november steelhead opportunities?

2hands
10-23-2007, 11:43 PM
hello out there

I'm new to the forum and to oregon. I am looking for some 2 handed water to swing in november for steelhead. have boat will travel. Deschutes? Umpqua? Rogue? any other suggestions?

not asking for hand outs, just a friendly nudge in the right direction

Cheers

Eric
10-24-2007, 10:58 PM
The coastal rivers west of Portland start getting good numbers of winter steelhead in mid-November, as many of these fish come in with the Chums. The Wilson, Kilchis, and Trask rivers could all be good bets, depending on water and weather conditions, of course.

Cheers,

Eric

andre
11-05-2007, 12:11 AM
Deschutes can be awesome in November.

2hands
11-08-2007, 12:31 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys-
I'll keep an eye on those tillamook rivers, and the deschutes. Great quote andre. In my opinion, that is one of the greatest facets of fly fishing the pursuit of ideas.

there's only one way to learn the water!

tight lines

Patrick
11-12-2007, 02:01 AM
Drive to the Clarno Bridge, 16 miles east of Antelope, Oregon. Take the rough dirt road downstream from the recently restored grange hall and intercept the fish that passed over Tumwater Falls, 100 miles downstream, when the flow spiked the last week in October. Go here: [URL="http://www.blm.gov/or/resources/recreation/johnday/index.php"]
for more info on the river.

I am a park ranger for the BLM and I work on the John Day, but my steelhead success has been less than stellar. I think (or hope) that timing is everything, and I have not yet run into one of those pods of happy, biting steelhead. I just came off a six-day work float on a section downstream of Clarno. I think the bulk of that first push of fish was upstream of the the section I floated.

Due to the short amount of daylight this time of year I have no more than a half hour at dawn and dusk to wet a line while I patrol the John Day (no fishing during the work day). Those brief, precious moments haven't rewarded me with any hookups yet this season. But the season is only beginning. Last summer's fish will be moving up from the Columbia throughout the winter and into early spring.

2hands
11-15-2007, 03:58 PM
Patrick-
I fished the John Day the 11th & 12th, and managed to stumble into a few fish. It is a beautiful river and I'll be back. all the fish I moved were between 10 am and 4pm. which seems to be consistent with the cooler weather and cooler water temps this time of year. hopefully, you'll get some time to fish on your days off

tight lines-
Gavin

fredaevans
11-24-2007, 10:14 AM
Also consider the upper Rogue; we've finally gotten enough summer runs into the top 30 miles (Medford up) to make the trip worth the gas. I'd recommend the drift from the hatchery down to Shady Cove.

Fred