2 Handed Overhead Question [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: 2 Handed Overhead Question

PopnesetBay
10-23-2007, 10:25 PM
Not sure where to post this so will start here and moderator can move at his discretion. I have had one season with 2 handed, overhead casting and finally got comfortable enough to try some night fishing. How do those of you that cast at night "mark" you lines so you know that there is the correct length out the tip to get a consistant "load" on the rod? Day-time I can see the joint of head to running line but at night I am totally "in the dark" about when to make the cast. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated. Hope I have expressed my question in an understandable manner. Thanks

Pete

Warren
10-24-2007, 05:58 AM
Pete,
I don't normally fish at night, but one suggestion would be wear a head lamp to allow you to see that joint. I use the Airflo beach line on my Atlantis and you can see that joint pretty good during the day. I would assume it would show up good in a light. Or you could do it by feel, I suppose, retrieve the line in until you feel that joint between your fingers. Then strip out enough line to get the joint where you like it at the rod tip.

rel1
10-24-2007, 08:15 AM
Anotherway of marking the line for the correct amount of overhang would be to find the point you like and make a small nail knot of mono over the flyline, add alittle duco cement and you'll be able to feel the bump during the retreive. The nail knot won't impede the cast if its small enough. The cement is only to help ith durability of the mono. Just my $.02 Ron

PEC54
10-24-2007, 11:33 AM
Anotherway of marking the line for the correct amount of overhang would be to find the point you like and make a small nail knot of mono over the flyline, add alittle duco cement and you'll be able to feel the bump during the retreive. The nail knot won't impede the cast if its small enough. The cement is only to help ith durability of the mono. Just my $.02 Ron

Ditto to what Ron posted,if you don't feel the bump as it slides over the guides you should feel it as it slides over your finger as you retrieve. Lights at night are a no no.

Adrian
10-25-2007, 08:37 AM
Just adding to Paul's comment.

Lights at night when casting are absolutely a no-no. Static lights from streetlamps (or certain restaurant decks :smokin: ) can be an advantage.

But, a random head-waving beacon won't buy you many friends after dark. Certainly not on the beach and probably not in the suds either :tsk_tsk:

flydoc
10-25-2007, 01:49 PM
Paul, Adrian- any experience with the "game friendly" green LED headlamps? Supposedly they don't spook deer (when used to find one's way to a treestand in the predawn darkness), but I wasn't sure if anyone has used them for nightfishing to see if they were an improvement over the standard white light headlamps. If no info, I may try mine on the local trout ponds at night as an experiment...if it don't spook the trout, would probably be OK for the stripers.
Flydoc:)

Penguin
10-25-2007, 06:49 PM
WHAT?!...Personal headlamps can be a issue on a crowded beach?! :confused: :tsk_tsk:

flydoc
10-25-2007, 06:56 PM
Damn, Pete...that one would have me singing (as well as wearing) "Sunglasses at Night"....:cool:
Flydoc

Warren
10-25-2007, 08:22 PM
Phew! Good thing I don't own one of those lights! :hihi: Point taken

Since I fish during the more civilized hours I had no clue lights would be such an issue. In the past I have surf casted at night & never used a light, but there was always enough ambient light to see what I was doing.